DVDVR Message Board

GENERAL NXT DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

How do you even know they got paid?

Cleary some wrestlers do it just for the love of the sport and support themselves financially with dayjobs, see Big Bossman, IRS, Duke Droese, the Undertaker etc.

I can see Undertaker's night job would be wrestling since his hobby of collecting souls kind of doesn't pay. I mean being a flesh and bone soul dealer to the devil does not mean that you do not have bills to pay and the devil might appreciate the souls, but he/she/it/ they ain't exactly Bill Gates so yeah, why not grapple a few dudes 20 minutes per night once or twice a week and get that cold hard cash?

How do you even know they got paid?

Cleary some wrestlers do it just for the love of the sport and support themselves financially with dayjobs, see Big Bossman, IRS, Duke Droese, the Undertaker etc.

I can see Undertaker's night job would be wrestling since his hobby of collecting souls kind of doesn't pay. I mean being a flesh and bone soul dealer to the devil does not mean that you do not have bills to pay and the devil might appreciate the souls, but he/she/it/ they ain't exactly Bill Gates so yeah, why not grapple a few dudes 20 minutes per night once or twice a week and get that cold hard cash?

But on the contrary- The Undertaker's day job would also probably be the MOST lucrative of any for that regard- the devil may usually trade his gains to people for "their own" soul, but presumably if he goes through a licensed flesh and bone soul dealer who reaps them himself and sells those souls to the devil, the price the devil pays is likely smaller due to the overhead of having The Undertaker as his middleman, but considering...well, he's the Devil and can give you anything you want, then it becomes far likelier that Undertaker's taking home enough money to be highly comfortable- thus meaning that he needs to use wrestling as his night job to keep gathering souls for the resale market.

...of course, this also means Undertaker has to trade more and more of these souls for the intangible "power" to KEEP wrestling at a high enough scale to harvest souls, but that's just a business expense that he can write off on his taxes (which gives more of a reason for why IRS feuded with Undertaker- he may have been a crooked tax accountant, but he was a Judeo-Christian crooked tax accountant and didn't approve of the Internal Revenue Service allowing Undertaker to write off the souls he traded for power.)

Not to derail the thread, but I've always been curious when thigh slapping first started. I think the earliest I remember it was Tajiri in ECW. At least, I hope that was thigh slapping...

Tajiri was the first time I can really remember seeing it.  I also remember one magazine or site had a reader's questions part and one asked how Tajiri got that snapping sound when he kicked guys and the "expert" replied that he didn't know for sure but he was fairly certain Tajiri had a device in his tights/boots that made the snapping sound when he kicked.  I remember reading that and going "He's slapping his thigh.  He's really good at it, makes it look like part of the normal rotation on the kick, but he's slapping his thigh."

Gargano clapping his hands together while doing a double stomp to the back like he was playing pat-a cake was the lamest thing I've seen in a while. Doing the dreaded leg slap on kicks to the face is one thing, but doing it when you're stomping on someone's back is just stupid. Crews also needs to tone down the gunshot like sounds he makes slapping his leg on his jumping enziguri kicks. Someone getting kicked in the back of the head doesn't make a smacking sound it makes a thud.

You guys are crazy. Clearly guys like Midnight Rider, Mr America and Cyclope got paid in cold hard cash.

I have no trouble at all believing NWA promoters wrote checks to "The Midnight Rider." It's cashing them that Dusty would have found difficult.

So true! I walked into my local bank branch once, resplendent in my all-gold Conquistador gear. It... it didn't end well...

• Like 1

On the "Gargano and Ciampa storyline"- it seems pretty clear what their gimmick and storyline is:

At the moment, Gargano and Ciampa are currently: "Two of the hottest prospects on the independent scene" who were handpicked by NXT General Manager William Regal to wrestle in the Dusty Rhodes Memorial Classic- and pulled off a first-round upset on the way to prove themselves.

However, whether it was by malice (if Regal's heel) or a simple clerical error (if face), Gargano and Ciampa's contract or official rejection letter by NXT was never actually sent out to them. Since then, both Gargano and Ciampa are wrestling on NXT programming thinking they've been signed from their win, without knowing that they're not technically being paid for their matches due to this contract never coming through.

So basically they are doing a gimmick based off of Milton from Office Space? That's awesome. Nobody better steal Ciampa's stapler or he will burn the performance center down.

• Like 3

Not to derail the thread, but I've always been curious when thigh slapping first started. I think the earliest I remember it was Tajiri in ECW. At least, I hope that was thigh slapping...

Didnt Chris Adams do it in WCCW with his superkck?

I know there was an animated gif floating around the board with Adams coming off the second rope with a superkick and slapping his thigh while doing so.

On the "Gargano and Ciampa storyline"- it seems pretty clear what their gimmick and storyline is:

At the moment, Gargano and Ciampa are currently: "Two of the hottest prospects on the independent scene" who were handpicked by NXT General Manager William Regal to wrestle in the Dusty Rhodes Memorial Classic- and pulled off a first-round upset on the way to prove themselves.

However, whether it was by malice (if Regal's heel) or a simple clerical error (if face), Gargano and Ciampa's contract or official rejection letter by NXT was never actually sent out to them. Since then, both Gargano and Ciampa are wrestling on NXT programming thinking they've been signed from their win, without knowing that they're not technically being paid for their matches due to this contract never coming through.

So basically they are doing a gimmick based off of Milton from Office Space? That's awesome. Nobody better steal Ciampa's stapler or he will burn the performance center down.

Ciampa and Gargano used to be able to see the squirrels, and they were merry.

Since I am a dummy - I didn't realize Bayley was on the UK tour (Her and Nattie) are working Team BAD on the Reigns tour

I am trying to remember - is this the first time she has gotten to go on a tour with main roster?

Since I am a dummy - I didn't realize Bayley was on the UK tour (Her and Nattie) are working Team BAD on the Reigns tour

I am trying to remember - is this the first time she has gotten to go on a tour with main roster?

Can you try that first sentence again?  Regarding the second, I'm pretty sure I remember her working house shows but they were just spot shows and not full tours.

As per usual - there are two separate groups touring the UK right now - they were IDed by the main eventer. For this tour it was the group with Rollins and the group with Roman Reigns. (Like how it used to be Cena and Orton. Or Cena and Bryan)

Bayley is on the shows that are headlined by Reigns vs. Bray Wyatt

She is teaming with Nattie against Sasha and Tamina

As per usual - there are two separate groups touring the UK right now - they were IDed by the main eventer. For this tour it was the group with Rollins and the group with Roman Reigns. (Like how it used to be Cena and Orton. Or Cena and Bryan)

Bayley is on the shows that are headlined by Reigns vs. Bray Wyatt

She is teaming with Nattie against Sasha and Tamina

Yeah, I know what you were trying to say, but just getting there caused my head to bleed.  My reading comprehension stats need to recharge every once in a while.

And it turns out that Bayley worked two house shows in August against Team BAD.

Random observation: Finn constantly whipping his leather jacket open like a flasher is starting to grate on my nerves to the level of Tanahashi's air guitar.

I don't think it would bother me nearly as bad if he did it once an entrance as opposed to 6-7 times.