DVDVR Message Board

GENERAL NXT DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

The criticism of nxt alum on the main roster could be made about 90% of the people on the roster regardless of when they were called up. Since the nxt era began, how many wrestlers on the main roster haven't had difficulty connecting and spent most of their time lost in the shuffle?

Nxt is the first program to take advantage of what the wwe network can be. With no need to fill arenas or television time and no pressure to please advertisers and television execs you can take your time and see what sticks. 

Nxt is the first program to take advantage of what the wwe network can be. With no need to fill arenas or television time and no pressure to please advertisers and television execs you can take your time and see what sticks. 

This is what I like most about the promotion: the simplicity. I liked OVW at one point for similar reasons when I used to tape trade, which was obviously hard and expensive to keep on top of. 

This is what I like most about the promotion: the simplicity. I liked OVW at one point for similar reasons when I used to tape trade, which was obviously hard and expensive to keep on top of. 

The OVW era was similar, but even that had the same weird difference where it's rare for a WWE promotion from NXT- whether they had their gimmicks changed up or not, to actually have it account in NXT as well. Really, The Shield showing up so Rollins could drop the title was the only time NXT's ever used the OVW trademark booking move of "top OVW superstar gets the callup to WWE, and so next week they're suddenly their WWE character"- and sometimes, that dual nature to the WWE/NXT gimmicks actually enhanced the WWE gimmick (best example there: It makes far more sense for Big E Langston's original WWE push as an ally of AJ Lee/Dolph Ziggler when NXT kept him as the 5-count NXT Champion hero who Vickie Guerrero hated for some reason and put a bounty on- thus making his real storyline "Big E was never 'really' a bad guy at all- he just allied with AJ and Ziggler because he also had a problem with Vickie Guerrero and the enemies of his enemy is his friend.')

The OVW era was similar, but even that had the same weird difference where it's rare for a WWE promotion from NXT- whether they had their gimmicks changed up or not, to actually have it account in NXT as well. Really, The Shield showing up so Rollins could drop the title was the only time NXT's ever used the OVW trademark booking move of "top OVW superstar gets the callup to WWE, and so next week they're suddenly their WWE character"- and sometimes, that dual nature to the WWE/NXT gimmicks actually enhanced the WWE gimmick (best example there: It makes far more sense for Big E Langston's original WWE push as an ally of AJ Lee/Dolph Ziggler when NXT kept him as the 5-count NXT Champion hero who Vickie Guerrero hated for some reason and put a bounty on- thus making his real storyline "Big E was never 'really' a bad guy at all- he just allied with AJ and Ziggler because he also had a problem with Vickie Guerrero and the enemies of his enemy is his friend.')

OVW did something similar with Nick Dinsmore when he was called up as Eugene. They ran an angle where he sold out to John Laurinaitis and took the Eugene gimmick in order to make it to the big time. That's also how they explained Doug Basham and The Damaja suddenly being "brothers," it was all the work of Johnny Ace. 

Some of Horshu's best work was as Inspector Max Impact, the voice of John Laurinaitis. Great heel gimmick for early 00s OVW. 

OVW did something similar with Nick Dinsmore when he was called up as Eugene. They ran an angle where he sold out to John Laurinaitis and took the Eugene gimmick in order to make it to the big time. That's also how they explained Doug Basham and The Damaja suddenly being "brothers," it was all the work of Johnny Ace. 

Some of Horshu's best work was as Inspector Max Impact, the voice of John Laurinaitis. Great heel gimmick for early 00s OVW. 

Yeah- that was pretty common for OVW in the time, and something never done in NXT outside of that Rollins/Reigns-to-Shield thing.

...it's also a fair thing for the booking people: Paul Heyman, the counterculture, extremist booker, just shrugged when a new star was promoted to WWE, made them that gimmick in OVW, and never mentioned it. Jim Cornette, the "traditionalist", old school booker, made a core part of 2000s OVW "Yeah, you fans know who they REALLY are, but these assholes in WWE are FORCING them to be something else!".

Why are people defending bad storytelling and lack of character depth? Because USA, stockholders, and advertisers need to be satisfied? I am pretty sure the stock will not take a dive if WWE decided to explain where The Wyatts took Taker/Kane and how The Brothers of Destruction were able to escape. I am pretty sure the advertisers won't bail if Raw doesn't open with a promo. If Charlotte's charlotte has actual depth, would USA really pull the plug?

• Like 1

So the WWE is putting out a Best of NXT DVD

Per the twitter account - the matches so far are (this isnt in order since I am just stealing it via tweets)

Sasha Banks vs. Bayley - NXT Women's Title (Brooklyn)

Big E vs Rollins - NXT Championship

Apollo Crews vs. Tyler Breeze (Respect)

Neville vs. Sami Zayn - NXT Championship (R Evolution)

• Like 2

The Wyatts are the biggest example of characters that suffer from the current way of doing things. Take them back 20-30 years ago and we'd have "on location" interviews from the Wyatt Compound in the swamps of Florida.

The Wyatts are the biggest example of characters that suffer from the current way of doing things. Take them back 20-30 years ago and we'd have "on location" interviews from the Wyatt Compound in the swamps of Florida.

The Wyatt Family in the 80's would have been the biggest of god damned stars. Imagine them "kidnapping" baby faces who were leaving the territory. They would have been huge.

• Like 3

Thinking out loud - Will there ever be a 2-time champion in NXT? It sort of feels like winning the title is the last step to getting elevated to the main roster and that once you have had your run, you move on up.

Rollins

Big E

Bo Dallas

Neville

Sami Zayn

Owens

Balor

The obvious exception could be Zayn coming back from injury but I get the feeling he is going to be in the Rumble and chase Owens for the IC title at Mania.

There might be multi time Tag Champs who just aren't ever quite RAW ready or a diva who gets multiple runs because the main roster doesn't have room for more than about 6 women at a time (see lack of BAD in the 'revolution') but as for the NXT Title, Im just not sure I see anyone being deemed ready enough to win the title but still hanging around long enough to win it multiple times.

I could see someone coming back down and doing a transitional champ deal at some point. There's a good story to be had from, say, Owens or Big E working a special, winning the title, treating it with disdain, and getting beaten at the next special by a fired-up Chad Gable or some other plucky face.

Per the twitter account - the matches so far are (this isnt in order since I am just stealing it via tweets)

Adding to RIPPA's post:

DVD & Blu-ray

Big E vs. Seth Rollins (NXT Championship) – 1/9/2013

Sami Zayn vs. Adrian Neville (NXT Championship) – TakeOver: R Evolution

Kevin Owens vs. Finn Bálor (NXT Championship) – Beast in the East

Sasha Banks vs. Bayley (NXT Women’s Championship) – TakeOver: Brooklyn

Blu-ray Exclusives

Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte (NXT Women’s Championship) – 7/15/2015

Tyler Breeze vs. Apollo Crews – TakeOver: Respect

Credit: wwedvd.co.uk

Which NXT matches would you include?

DVD comes out a day after my birthday. Yay!

Adding to RIPPA's post:

DVD & Blu-ray

Blu-ray Exclusives

DVD comes out a day after my birthday. Yay!

Zayn/Cesaro series, the finals of the NXT title tournament with Rollins and Maha, Paige/Emma (both)

Adding to RIPPA's post:

DVD & Blu-ray

Blu-ray Exclusives

Regal v Cesaro

Cesaro v Zayn

Balor/Itami v Ascension (R-Evolution)

Women's Fatal 4-Way

Zayn v Cena

The promos where Steph launches the Diva's Revolution and Owens surprises Cena on Raw

there's too much out there...

Are there any really awesome matches that were never included on the show?  I remember hearing about a Hero/Cesaro vs Bryan/Rollins match that they never televised.

Putting out a Best of dvd at the end of each year like Chikara does featuring that year's best matches would be a good idea, especially for bringing in new fans.

I wish they would release house show matches for extras on those DVDs. Like at last nights show in Orlando that I went to, the main event was a Survivor Series match Team Crews(Crews, Vaudvillans and Gable/Jordan) vs Team Corbin(Corbin, Dash/Dawson and BAMF). I know they taped it cause I was standing next to the camera. Great match by the way. Aiden did the 3 amigos to a huge pop.

A little late, but I feel I should make up for my previous comments. I thought Nia Jax was terrific in her last two squashes. She added the smashing that I felt was too thin in her first match. I know she doesn't have a lot of experience now, but I see a lot of potential in her and WWE could really use an Aja Kong type.