DVDVR Message Board

GENERAL NXT DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

So Jax had the better outfit this week.  While we're talking about unflattering outfits, Sally Ray Kay or whatever had one that didn't do her any favors.  Btw, is every female wrestler from Australia/New Zealand now in NXT or what?

They were all in country for a Shine/Shimmer double-shot and the NXT taping was the week between.

This was a great episode from top to bottom. Probably the best they've had in a while.

So is Biff Busick (real name Christopher Girard).

I'm disappointed to not see Mikey Nicholls and Shane Haste on the list. There were rumors they had been signed a couple of months ago. They would have been a great addition.

Didn't one of the two get injured shortly after their signing?

Yeah, Shane Haste is still injured as far as I know, but couldn't they have been announced despite that?

So far I have seen no official confirmation, that they were actually signed.

I was super hyped for that tag match and man did it deliver.  The crowd gets a lot of shit, but they really helped in adding to the excitement with their chants.  Lots of chants for Gable/Jordan and Gargano got some love.  It was so weird hearing stuff usually heard in the indies/ROH being done in NXT (Example:  "Wrestliiiiing!  Yaaaaayy!!" )  Was big-time geeking out over this, especially when thinking about how only a couple years ago this wouldn't even come close to happening.  Indy wrestlers doing NXT shots?  Evolve/ICW/Progress/NJPW footage heavily used in promo videos?  This is some crazy shit right now and it only helps to elevate everybody's profiles.  WWE/NXT gains a lot for being seen as indy-friendly, and the companies gain a lot by being seen by those that watch.  Unreal, man.

Nia Jax had much better attire this week.  Her opponent is really good and I hope they give her another shot, but maybe it was little too competitive for a monster squash match.  The Aussie girl is nice looking but her gear reminded me of Alexa's look as a face.  She also did some weird stuff like when she turtled up early in the match.  It served no purpose and Emma had this WTF look on her face.

I was super hyped for that tag match and man did it deliver.  The crowd gets a lot of shit, but they really helped in adding to the excitement with their chants.  Lots of chants for Gable/Jordan and Gargano got some love.  It was so weird hearing stuff usually heard in the indies/ROH being done in NXT (Example:  "Wrestliiiiing!  Yaaaaayy!!" )  Was big-time geeking out over this, especially when thinking about how only a couple years ago this wouldn't even come close to happening.  Indy wrestlers doing NXT shots?  Evolve/ICW/Progress/NJPW footage heavily used in promo videos?  This is some crazy shit right now and it only helps to elevate everybody's profiles.  WWE/NXT gains a lot for being seen as indy-friendly, and the companies gain a lot by being seen by those that watch.  Unreal, man.

It was also cool seeing promotions like PWG, wXw, CZW and Revolution Pro being mentioned by name in the press release yesterday. That alone was unthinkable just a few years ago.

I stll wonder though, if when Vince hears fans chanting "This is Wrestling" he takes it as an insult?

It was also cool seeing promotions like PWG, wXw, CZW and Revolution Pro being mentioned by name in the press release yesterday. That alone was unthinkable just a few years ago.

I stll wonder though, if when Vince hears fans chanting "This is Wrestling" he takes it as an insult?

He's not watching so he's not hearing it anyway. 

As long as it's not "Better than Raw!" I would imagine that'd be fine.  And holy cow, agreed on the press release.  Crazy, crazy stuff all-around.

And Craig, agreed on the test of strength.  Gable/Jordan are so incredibly good and Gargano is fun to watch.  I think poor Ciampa is getting overlooked when people look at the match.  I'd much rather see him do his own thing as a PG version of the Sicilian Psychopath.

Gable's so smooth, damn. It looks like he does those mat sequences with absolutely no effort at all. Plus he did a really nice judo throw as a counter, which was only my fourth favorite thing that he did all match.

Jordan is great too, but I want him to do more throws and suplexes because he looks really imposing and powerful when he goes into that kind of offense.

• Like 1

This was a great episode from top to bottom. Probably the best they've had in a while.

So is Biff Busick (real name Christopher Girard).

I'm disappointed to not see Mikey Nicholls and Shane Haste on the list. There were rumors they had been signed a couple of months ago. They would have been a great addition.

Didn't one of the two get injured shortly after their signing?

Yeah, Shane Haste is still injured as far as I know, but couldn't they have been announced despite that?

So far I have seen no official confirmation, that they were actually signed.

Even then, I think the confirmation would likely wait until Haste heals from the injury (I'm pretty sure the same thing happened after Emma signed- she signed early, got injured, and it was pushed back to her "official" signing/debut.)

My feed was screwing up throughout that match so I have to rewatch.

I love Gable and Jordan so much. Jordan does cocky jock so well. And Gable's just an absolute blast. He really gets how to interact with a crowd while he's doing these roll-ups and the like. You really can't take your eyes off of him when he's in the ring. And it's weird because that takedown was awesome but it's something that has been done an infinite amount of times. It's just that he does it by making it look special.

I really don't like Gargano and Tomossa. Like, I sorta hate them. Gable and Jordan came up in a system where working for a TV camera and learning all the little things that causes a response from the WWE audience. Gargano and Tomossa have that whole indie thing going on where they are more trying to pop a crowd by doing something as opposed to popping a crowd from being an effective character. I think you can really see the difference in that sort of quality. They're fine in the ring and execute things crisply, but they're really inorganic. I think Solomon Crowe suffers from the same thing, even though he's been in training for a long time.

Some of the indie/Japan folks don't suffer from that. I mean, I'm not the bigger Finn fan in the world, but that's largely because of his dumb entrance. But he knows how to organically perform. It took Becky a while to figure it out, but once she did it really clicked for her. Joe doesn't have that problem, but he's already a star just coming into NXT.

• Like 1

I really don't like Gargano and Tomossa. Like, I sorta hate them. Gable and Jordan came up in a system where working for a TV camera and learning all the little things that causes a response from the WWE audience. Gargano and Tomossa have that whole indie thing going on where they are more trying to pop a crowd by doing something as opposed to popping a crowd from being an effective character. I think you can really see the difference in that sort of quality. They're fine in the ring and execute things crisply, but they're really inorganic. I think Solomon Crowe suffers from the same thing, even though he's been in training for a long time.

If I'm reading you right, I have to disagree. It's actually the working to the cameras, especially the hard camera, that comes off as inorganic. Take Emma and Dana Brooke spamming poses to the hard camera like someone trying to build up three finishers on WWE 2K. Working to the crowd is an admirable trait, actually, which is part of why Gable is already so good. After that mat sequence that everyone loved, he popped the crowd facing away from the hard camera simply by grinning at them slyly, playing directly to them, not by being aware of where he was on camera.

The stuff like when people flip around to face the hard camera before going for a pin or do their same little entrance into the same cameras every time is what seems inorganic. Ciampa and Gargano just seem like they're working a style that I don't really rate more than they seem inorganic, at least IMO. Gable is so good because he elevates himself beyond the limits of WWE-style work explicitly for the TV audience, again IMO.

• Like 1

Thought Nia Jax looked better in her match this week, especially with the outfit change. I hope that is the one she keeps.

Loved the tag match. Gable & Jordan might be my favorite tag team in all of WWE at the moment.

Joe/Breeze was good and possibly the best Joe has looked yet. I'm going to miss Breeze in NXT. Its disappointing that he is moving on to the main roster just as his ring work has really started catching up with his character

Great all-around episode of NXT.

The tag division is really strong right now. I want a lengthy Jordan/Gable vs. Dash/Dawson feud for the titles. Gargano/Ciampa, Enzo/Cass, and the Vaudevillains are good complementary teams, but those first two are the aces. Dash and Dawson got the first legit heel heat in Full Sail in months with that beatdown on Cass tonight.

Blake and Murphy are lot better as Alexa's mantourage than as a featured team.

Thought Nia Jax looked a lot better this week too. I think part of it was her jobber was better (I'm pretty sure Kay Lee Ray main evented the Shimmer show Mania weekend), but Nia was also smoother and more comfortable too. I love the addition of the leg drop as a finisher.

The Crews/Balor hype videos were solid as usual.

Awesome episode. I love Gable's offense too but he also helped a lot in making Gargano's offense look incredible. I like Gargano anyway.  Jordan is developing right along too.  Great tag match. 

Alexa's interview was good. Short and sweet. She's so unlikable now, it's great. I can't wait for that six-person tag.

Enjoyed the hell out of the beat down on Big Cass. They destroyed that knee.

Also, The motherfuckin RED QUEEN's vaca is winding down lol.

I think that tag-match is one of my favourite matches this year, though watching Emma mugging that Shazza also brought a smile to my face. I think Nia Jax's match suffered by comparison.

But yeah, obviously that was probably one of the best put together hours of TV wrestling pretty much ever. I liked James Storm's promo too, simply but effective -  I think he might be able to do the Last Call now that Breeze is gone, man do I never want to see that 8 second ride again.