DVDVR Message Board

Raw 10-12-15

MGFanJay

They couldn't really kayfabe the Lana/Rusev engagement when it's on TMZ Sports website, but WWE definitely could have handled it better. I wonder whether down the line if any other similar things happen whether WWE will break kayfabe again and abandon storylines. Although I assume the conclusion to the Rusev/Lana/Summer/Dolph thing was Rusev & Lana get back together anyway. Having Rusev jobbed out (plus the dressing down by Summer) to me certainly seems like punishment from Vince, Steph & co for the engagement being brought to light and throwing "creative" into a muddle. But really WWE should know they are a real life couple and it would have made much more sense to have kept them together and them using the engagement within a storyline as like the uniting of a "Superpower" where they have been ordered by Putin to create an army of Mini-Rusev(s) to do his bidding. 

Complete burial of Rusev for having the audacity to actually propose to the love of his life.  

In fairness, the burial was probably less for the actual engagement and more for posting about it on social media.

I wonder if John Cena gets how disingenuous he sounds when he says "THIS IS THE BEST PLACE WITH THE BEST FANS" every week.

Didn't he say something like "There's no question THIS is the Allstate Arena!"?  I remember thinking, "Well... yeah."

Ziggler/Cena was ridiculous. Cena gets his win with one fireman's carry after Dolph finisher-spams him. Kickout off a top rope DDT in the first fourth of the match was terrible enough, but then he eats every finisher Dolph has; I didn't get a sense of "dramatic near-fall" from those either, but rather "Cena just catching his breath before decisively kicking out at 2.5 but we'll round it up to the nearest 2.9."

Dolph did kick out of the first AA if I remember right. But this reminded me of a similar match they had in January 2013 where Cena did take all of Dolph's finishers (and Big E's too) then hit one AA to win. Amused me then as I was no Dolph fan, I think he's a lot better now or maybe just more tolerable as a face to me. In last night's match, I thought the eye-rake ~> Superkick was a solid near fall.

Complete burial of Rusev for having the audacity to actually propose to the love of his life.

In fairness, the burial was probably less for the actual engagement and more for posting about it on social media.

I wonder if John Cena gets how disingenuous he sounds when he says "THIS IS THE BEST PLACE WITH THE BEST FANS" every week.

Didn't he say something like "There's no question THIS is the Allstate Arena!"? I remember thinking, "Well... yeah."

I caught that too! And it did almost sound like he realized what a shitheel he sounded like in saying it. It's like when my dad would call me his favorite kid, and I'm an only child, so I'd bounce back, "Technically I'm also your least favorite kid."

They couldn't really kayfabe the Lana/Rusev engagement when it's on TMZ Sports website, but WWE definitely could have handled it better. I wonder whether down the line if any other similar things happen whether WWE will break kayfabe again and abandon storylines. Although I assume the conclusion to the Rusev/Lana/Summer/Dolph thing was Rusev & Lana get back together anyway. Having Rusev jobbed out (plus the dressing down by Summer) to me certainly seems like punishment from Vince, Steph & co for the engagement being brought to light and throwing "creative" into a muddle. But really WWE should know they are a real life couple and it would have made much more sense to have kept them together and them using the engagement within a storyline as like the uniting of a "Superpower" where they have been ordered by Putin to create an army of Mini-Rusev(s) to do his bidding. 

Really the problem is that they tried to make it out that Ziggler and Lana were actually together in real life by staging pics of them together on Instagram. They put the Bella that Daniel Bryan are together on TV while they don't ever acknowledge Cena's relationship with the other Bella on non-Total Divas TV. 

I know in the wrestling world this would be a radical departure but would it be that horrible to draw a line between the characters that the wrestlers portray and the real life wrestlers? So instead of reporting that Rusev and Lana are engaged, you announce that real life wrestlers(whatever their names are) are engaged. Depending on the medium you promote it as either as an interview with "the character" or "the wrestler." You have people have a character Twitter account and a personal Twitter account. If anything I think it might broaden the appeal of wrestling to a lot of people.

OOOOH and has there been any mention of Cena pulling up mid-match to call out the marriage proposal in the crowd, FUCK YOU YOUNG COUPLE FOR RUINING A FIVE STAR EPIC I HOPE IT ENDS IN DIVORCE!

Damien Sandow of a few years ago would have used that to convince the crowd that, see, even you Chicago neckbeards can find love in the WWE Universe.

So is it Steph and Trips, make-a-wish, cancer fighting, kid loving, NXT internets hero, evil heel authority figures on raw mad about Lana and Rusev? Cause that would make complete sense.

And I heard somewhere Rollins was like 1-15 since September. That's not chicken shit heel champ, that's Santino.

• Like 2

Is there a reason Lana needed to post it on her public instagram account? WWE should drop them both, no way they are worth the trouble.

That's crazy. Rusev is a top 10 worker and made chicken salad out of a complete chicken shit feud. He's great.  Drop creative instead.  I've read 3 or 4 ideas in this thread already that are way better than the way WWE handled this situation.

The Rusev/Summer "blowoff" was very fitting for that angle. For a couple weeks there, it looked like they were about to stumble ass-backwards into revitalizing Dolph and Rusev's careers with a double turn, but this ending keeps the feud as pure wrestlecrap through and through.

Is there anything on Raw these days worth watching besides Owens, New Day, and the rare women's match not built around the Bellas?

1) Who said the angle with Summer was over? I bet, if anything, they loved how much press the engagement got. They even plugged TMZ on the show. The angle with Dolph ended, but they were moving him into something with Cena and The New Day anyways. We don't know if there is another chapter to this sordid tale -- like Summer has another boyfriend, Lana comes back for revenge, etc.

2) How was that a burial? Rusev lost to a guy fighting for a title -- making him look strong headed into a match against KO.

• Like 1

And I heard somewhere Rollins was like 1-15 since September. That's not chicken shit heel champ, that's Santino.

Close, from just televised events, he is 2-11.

10/12/15: RAW: Loss vs. Demon Kane (Lumberjack)

10/5/15: RAW: Loss via DQ w/ Kane vs. The Dudleyz

10/3/15: MSG: Loss vs. John Cena (Steel Cage)

10/1/15: SD: Loss w/ New Day vs. Kane & The Dudleyz

9/24/15: SD: Loss vs. Dean Ambrose

9/21/15: RAW: Loss vs. John Cena

9/20/15: NoC: Win vs. Sting, Loss vs. John Cena

9/17/15: SD: Loss w/ Sheamus vs. Dean Ambrose & Roman Reigns

9/14/15: RAW: Loss w/ Big Show vs. John Cena & Sting

9/10/15: SD: Win vs. Ryback (Lumberjack)

9/7/15: RAW: Loss vs. Ryback, Loss w/ New Day vs John Cena & Primetime Players

I think the smart political move would be going to Hunter and Steph to ask their opinion on popping the question before doing it

Wait what?  You think a wrestler should have to ask management if it's okay to ask his girlfriend to marry him?

I think he's saying ask them if they can post about it on Instagram.  If that's what they did, which seems unbelievably stupid, unless Lana just wanted to kill the angle.

I think the smart political move would be going to Hunter and Steph to ask their opinion on popping the question before doing it

Wait what? You think a wrestler should have to ask management if it's okay to ask his girlfriend to marry him?

They should not HAVE to.

I said the politically saavy move would be to discuss it:

1. So as to not get buried for doing it

2. In case they want to do an angle that coincides with it

3. The WWE PR can get mileage out of it rather than tmz.

It's not totally analagous, but isnt it company policy that people have to get tattoos approved, right?