DVDVR Message Board

Raw 10-12-15

MGFanJay

Kayfabe is the reason people snicker when you say you like wrestling. 

Which made me dig in my heels and like it more.

but I'm pretty glad kayfabe is dead and it makes way more sense for an "entertainment company" like WWE to get rid of it altogether. 

You're part of the problem. The further WWE has tried to get away from "kayfabe" the worse things have gotten for them. 

Even going back to the Attitude Era, you never saw Austin or Vince acting out of character. You never saw them on the WWF website acting like best pals. You would not see the Undertaker out of character. 

Now lets go back even further to the 80's. Did you see Hulk Hogan hanging out with Piper or Orndorff or Andre post heel turn? They fired Piper and Duggan when they got busted for pot together.

Now you could bust out the stuff Vince said to get deregulated by the New Jersey State Athletic Commission. But even at the time guys like Piper and Albano were able to reasonably explain it away in the media.

Beyond that, the WWF never put it in their magazines or mentioned it on their TV programming. 

Finally "kayfabe" cannot be killed. You can kill yourself trying to kill it. Which Lana and Rusev successfully did. 

Except now you can't do any of that.  We live in an age where we have social media, we have a 24 hour news cycle, we have news outlets devoted to following around anyone on TV to get a story because we're a celebrity obsessed society.  90% of the population also has a camera and video camera in their pockets and access to a world wide network to circulate that picture of video across the world in seconds.  You can't keep "kayfabe" alive in this era of technology, you just can't.  You could deny the real personal lives of everyone in the 80's because you could.  You could hide the pictures, you could supress the stories.  Now, the stories spread before you even realize that it happened.  

WWE's been walking the line for a while now, but they need to shit or get off the pot.  The curtain's been pulled back, the genie is out of the bottle.  If these guys aren't doing it themselves, someone else will.  WWE needs to figure out how to function within the current era of tech consistantly.  You can't have stuff all over the place showing behind the curtain, then get pissy when you can't have the show reflect it.  

Sorry, the 80's and 90's are over.  

but I'm pretty glad kayfabe is dead and it makes way more sense for an "entertainment company" like WWE to get rid of it altogether.

You're part of the problem. The further WWE has tried to get away from "kayfabe" the worse things have gotten for them.

Even going back to the Attitude Era, you never saw Austin or Vince acting out of character. You never saw them on the WWF website acting like best pals. You would not see the Undertaker out of character.

Now lets go back even further to the 80's. Did you see Hulk Hogan hanging out with Piper or Orndorff or Andre post heel turn? They fired Piper and Duggan when they got busted for pot together.

Now you could bust out the stuff Vince said to get deregulated by the New Jersey State Athletic Commission. But even at the time guys like Piper and Albano were able to reasonably explain it away in the media.

Beyond that, the WWF never put it in their magazines or mentioned it on their TV programming.

Finally "kayfabe" cannot be killed. You can kill yourself trying to kill it. Which Lana and Rusev successfully did.

Except now you can't do any of that. We live in an age where we have social media, we have a 24 hour news cycle, we have news outlets devoted to following around anyone on TV to get a story because we're a celebrity obsessed society. 90% of the population also has a camera and video camera in their pockets and access to a world wide network to circulate that picture of video across the world in seconds. You can't keep "kayfabe" alive in this era of technology, you just can't. You could deny the real personal lives of everyone in the 80's because you could. You could hide the pictures, you could supress the stories. Now, the stories spread before you even realize that it happened.

WWE's been walking the line for a while now, but they need to shit or get off the pot. The curtain's been pulled back, the genie is out of the bottle. If these guys aren't doing it themselves, someone else will. WWE needs to figure out how to function within the current era of tech consistantly. You can't have stuff all over the place showing behind the curtain, then get pissy when you can't have the show reflect it.

Bring back the Attitude era.

Except now you can't do any of that.  We live in an age where we have social media, we have a 24 hour news cycle, we have news outlets devoted to following around anyone on TV to get a story because we're a celebrity obsessed society.  90% of the population also has a camera and video camera in their pockets and access to a world wide network to circulate that picture of video across the world in seconds.  You can't keep "kayfabe" alive in this era of technology, you just can't.  You could deny the real personal lives of everyone in the 80's because you could.  You could hide the pictures, you could supress the stories.  Now, the stories spread before you even realize that it happened.  

WWE's been walking the line for a while now, but they need to shit or get off the pot.  The curtain's been pulled back, the genie is out of the bottle.  If these guys aren't doing it themselves, someone else will.  WWE needs to figure out how to function within the current era of tech consistantly.  You can't have stuff all over the place showing behind the curtain, then get pissy when you can't have the show reflect it.  

I was preparing to reply to this yesterday, but my nephews showed up. Kinda ran rough shod over me.

Your answer does not really work. Because this was not something filmed by people with cell phones or whatever. This was something voluntarily put up on her official instagram account. 

Its actually pretty easy to keep kayfave with a minimum effort. 

Vince is just a crazy person. This is the same guy who years ago said Nick Dinsmore had to be Eugene 24/7 in and off screen. Jillian Hall had to wear a giant bandage on the side of her face to "cover" the giant alien tumor they gave her. I remember reading after Total Divas started and got popular that "they don't care about acknowledging Bryan and Brie, but under no circumstances on WWE television is anyone supposed to even hint that Cena and Nikki are a couple".

The WWE is just a weird place run by even weirder people at the moment.

That's because it doesn't make any sense for Cena and Nikki's characters to be connected on Raw. Just like it didn't make sense for Rusev and Lana to be connected on screen anymore, even though everyone knew they were a real-life couple.