DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

I assume all the super villians in the crowd are no-name jobbers instead of characters we'd recognize from Barry's Rogues Gallery because there's only two episodes left.  They may have a huge numbers advantage, but they're going to have to job hard in record time to Barry and company.

BTW, speaking of DC TV, I got caught up on Gotham.  Why?  I don't know either.  It wasn't really worth the effort.  I kinda like that they brought Azrael into the show, but kinda hate who they put under the mask.

I did really enjoy

Spoiler

Penguin and Butch calmly strolling in and blowing Galavan/Azrael to bits with a rocket launcher.  Though it kinda made Gordon look like a dolt since his response to being unable to kill Galavan with bullets was to shoot him some more.

I'll probably give season 3 a chance to be better, but it'll have to come out of the gate swinging for the fences next fall.  I kinda think Gotham has gotten worse as this season has gone on, not better.  I'm probably out.

Makes sense, though the part about budget negotiations worries me.  Calista Flockhart as Cat Grant was easily my favorite part of the show, and she's almost certainly the only big salary outside of Benoist.  Special effects didn't look that great in season 1.  Not sure how much you can cut out there.

There were rumors that the delayed renewal was due to budget negotiations, will we perhaps see a lower-budget take on the Maid of Might? They could always make like the '50s Adventures of Superman TV show and just have Supergirl jump through windows instead of fly!

The bolded line made me laugh way too much.

4 hours ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

I assume all the super villians in the crowd are no-name jobbers instead of characters we'd recognize from Barry's Rogues Gallery because there's only two episodes left.  They may have a huge numbers advantage, but they're going to have to job hard in record time to Barry and company.

BTW, speaking of DC TV, I got caught up on Gotham.  Why?  I don't know either.  It wasn't really worth the effort.  I kinda like that they brought Azrael into the show, but kinda hate who they put under the mask.

I did really enjoy

Reveal hidden contents

Penguin and Butch calmly strolling in and blowing Galavan/Azrael to bits with a rocket launcher.  Though it kinda made Gordon look like a dolt since his response to being unable to kill Galavan with bullets was to shoot him some more.

I'll probably give season 3 a chance to be better, but it'll have to come out of the gate swinging for the fences next fall.  I kinda think Gotham has gotten worse as this season has gone on, not better.  I'm probably out.

I like Gotham, it's crazy and never boring. Hugo Strange has been a good addition. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JimBob Skeeter said:

I don't recognize ANY of those guys.

I assume they are alternate universe versions of various C & D listers. The only one we will recognize will probably be

Spoiler

Laurel

4 hours ago, WholeFnMachine said:

Supergirl has been renewed for season 2, but it's moving to the CW

http://www.vulture.com/2016/05/supergirl-is-moving-to-the-cw.html?mid=facebook_vulture

I'm kind of disappointed since I assume they will lose some cats members, particularly Flockhart who was easily the best character on the show. I'm curious to see how the writing might change though with CBS having less direct interest.

I think the idea with Gotham is to replicate the experience of reading a comic book by wildly changing direction every few episodes (as if the writing staff was being fired, or the characters were appearing in two books with different writers who hated each other), and having characters that were important be suddenly written out, or completely change personality for no apparent reason.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Matt D said:

They should strand her on Barry and Ollie's earth to deal with the lost cast members.

Or start over with an Earth-Arrow version of Supergirl.  Might be interesting to see a version of Supergirl who showed up on Earth to help out Kal-El only for him never to arrive.

Got caught up on Legends of Tomorrow.  As per usual, really liking the character stuff, not invested in the season arc.  Could have done without the "evil" time masters twist.  It kinda makes sense to go there, but the time masters barely have any characterization, individually or as a group.  It's just a faceless organization with no clearly defined goals or limits.  Dramatically, they're not very interesting.  Their "greater good" manifesto could have been interesting, but it didn't go anywhere.  There's an interesting "free will vs. predestination, nature of heroism vs. god complex" debate in there somewhere but nobody bothered to write it.  And, making Savage basically a puppet of the Time Masters undercuts him as a major villain, so I didn't really feel like that plot twist accomplished much except to pad the show out a couple episodes.

I was sorta meh about the character death.  Ray has a super hero suit that fires energy beams, and Firestorm could fire energy projectiles, at the very least (I don't think the DCTV Firestorm has done any molecular rearranging, has he?).  Why not just blow the computer up?  Better plan than gambling you can hold off the Time Master's soldiers long enough to hack the computer.

Spoiler

I hate to see Snart go, but it's a somewhat fitting end for his character arc.  And since Fox is reviving Prison Break, Miller probably wouldn't be a regular next year.  Couple news outlets are saying Snart is still under contract and will still be making appearances on Legends and Flash, and maybe the other Berlanti shows.

On 5/14/2016 at 9:25 AM, Vader does my taxes! said:

I hate to see Snart go, but it's a somewhat fitting end for his character arc.  And since Fox is reviving Prison Break, Miller probably wouldn't be a regular next year.  Couple news outlets are saying Snart is still under contract and will still be making appearances on Legends and Flash, and maybe the other Berlanti shows.

Spoiler

Which is perplexing to me if that's the case.  If he's going to re-appear in other shows where would this fit in the timeline in relation to them?  If he's dead here how can he go elsewhere alive and well?  I know superhero shows tend to bend the rules as they seem fit, but if I saw him on Flash I'd go "Wait a sec, didn't he die on LoT?"

4 hours ago, NickMD said:
  Hide contents

Which is perplexing to me if that's the case.  If he's going to re-appear in other shows where would this fit in the timeline in relation to them?  If he's dead here how can he go elsewhere alive and well?  I know superhero shows tend to bend the rules as they seem fit, but if I saw him on Flash I'd go "Wait a sec, didn't he die on LoT?"

Spoiler

I'm assuming they'll pull a version of Snart out of the past, give him a timeship, and send him time hopping.  Or come up with something really convoluted.  Since Snart won't be part of the team that finally defeats Savage and stops him from time hopping, I'm wondering why you couldn't send the team back in time to before Snart joined the mission, stop Snart from taking part, and still preserve the future where Rip's family is alive and Savage is defeated,  That would also wipe out Snart's babyface turn, so you could keep using him as a villain.

Hey, that would totally work on Dr. Who.  Not that that's a ringing endorsement or anything.

Regarding the character death, I wonder why someone had to hold the failsafe device in place by hand,  I would have just used Cold's freeze guy to freeze the damn thing in place under a sheet of ice (it only has to last a minute or so). 

That should have been the way they'd have done it.  It got a little silly there the way they were fighting over who'd kill themselves to do this.  When it finally went the one who ended up doing it I just thought "Really?  Of all people?"  He was definitely one of the more interesting characters by far so of course why not.

BTW, I guess Katie Cassidy is guesting on Flash this week as "Black Siren", one of Zoom's Earth-2 crew.  I can see the Arrow death sticking in some fashion and Cassidy recurring on the other Berlanti shows.  Not sure if I like that idea or not.  Though I think Sarah is a better fit on Arrow, so I'd be ok if Arrow and LoT just traded Black Canaries.

5 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Boy howdy I'm getting tired of cheap deaths for drama in these shows.

What makes them even cheaper still is that half the time they happen, any emotional impact they might have is lessened when you realize there's a 50/50 chance of the person coming back to life.

• Like 1

It's not just the comic shows, its all the drama's right now.  Seems like writers/execs have misread why the deaths fit in the narrative of Game of Thrones and decided to just kill off characters for the sake of Drama.  I swear I've heard ads for 50% of the drama's on TV pimp killing off a character this season.

• Like 1

I was mentioning this to someone last night.  Agents of SHIELD hyped for weeks that SOMEONE! WILL! DIE!  I won't spoil it, but you know that it's either going to be someone the audience cares about or someone they don't.  If it's someone you care about, you don't want them to die.  If you don't care, then it's anticlimactic.  It's a lose-lose to promote it that way.

I know that on the radio, they advertised almost all the NBC Procedural Drama's as having someone dying this year.  When every show is doing it, it's not that special.