DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

Sorry to be the dissenting opinion but while I think Watchmen has been a fantastic piece of TV, as a sequel to the comic, spiritual or otherwise, it's been absolute trash. That Dr Manhattan episode just about finished me off. Say what you want about Doomsday Clock but at least Geoff Johns created something that was true to the character.

I think the Hooded Justice episode is the definite highpoint, and the score has been fantastic but the self-aggrandizing back slapping the show has prompted critically and as evidenced by the above tweet has done nothing but make me cringe.

It's the best new show I've seen in years,  I think it deserves the praise. What they did to fuse the WATCHMEN lore with present day and all the big ideas on race, genetics, trauma etc.,  have it all tie together beautifully and stick the landing while staying true to the source material was nothing short of amazing.  

• Like 3

Series finale of Watchmen fucking ruled.

The room got a bit dusty when Doctor Manhattan got absorbed into the void, but I have to admit that all of the villain deaths from the Cyclops peeps to Lady Trieu (who knew?) were extremely satisfying.

I didn't particularly care for the Inception-esque ending, mostly because I thought that Topher would be a far better potential candidate for Manhattan's power than Sister Night.

All of the Adrian Veidt stuff ruled from the graphic novel callback of Ozymandias catching the bullet to him calling Silk Specter by her actual last name (now we all know how to pronounce it properly) to that kick ass lesson in Latin (It takes one to know one) to finally him getting shitflushed in mid-monologue by Looking Glass.  At long last, Ozymandias's hubris has brought on his downfall.

Now we know why the statue was so ugly, right?

If Jeremy Irons isn't nominated for an Emmy, I'll be pissed.

It's odd how this series has totally undone all of the things about the graphic novel that really left a bad taste in my mouth.  Rorschach has finally been avenged via the secret about the Squid coming to light, Dr. Manhattan has paid for Rorschach's murder with his own existence, and Ozymandias will hopefully go to fucking prison for a long time for the murder of three million people.

By the end of the episode, it dawned on me that they never directly identified Lubeman, but I assume we all figured out it was probably Petey.

I daresay that there will ever be a better series of perfect episodic television that Watchmen in quite a while.  Take a fucking bow, Damon!

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, J.T. said:

It's odd how this series has totally undone all of the things about the graphic novel that really left a bad taste in my mouth.  Rorschach has finally been avenged via the secret about the Squid coming to light, Dr. Manhattan has paid for Rorschach's murder with his own existence, and Ozymandias will hopefully go to fucking prison for a long time for the murder of three million people.

By the end of the episode, it dawned on me that they never directly identified Lubeman, but I assume we all figured out it was probably Petey.

I daresay that there will ever be a better series of perfect episodic television that Watchmen in quite a while.  Take a fucking bow, Damon!

Regarding the ruse of what Veidt did, I'm guessing the status quo is maintained. In that reality, no one wants to go back to what the world was like before and Redford has already known about the ruse and did nothing about it. Veidt probably winds up quietly serving some kind of time in a supermax prison, Laurie gets pissy that the truth doesn't come to light and eventually quits the FBI, and Mirror Guy tries to move on with his life but is probably unable to do so.

As for Lubeman, he was indeed Petey. In one of the more recent Peteypedia articles, he reveals he was fired from the FBI for his exploits as Lubeman.

• Like 2

I think Ozy would be satisfied with being brought to trial for his crimes if it meant he finally gains the notoriety that he'd been searching for.  However,  if he truly wants to I would wager he gets out of prison anytime he pleases.  A moon of Jupiter can't hold him,  he's probably already thought of 18 million ways to escape. 

I like Angela getting Manhattan's powers because she is the type of person who I feel would "do more" as Will Reeves put it. 

• Like 1