DVDVR Message Board

2016 Pro Football Hall of Fame Discussion

paragon11

With the list of nominees now posted (and snagged from the Pro Football HOF site), I figured we could have discussion on the list (as we did last year).

Modern Era Nominees for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2016

(108 nominees)

*Finalist in 2015; CAPS indicate first year of eligibility

QUARTERBACKS (6)

Drew Bledsoe, BRETT FAVRE, Steve McNair, Phil Simms, Vinny Testaverde, *Kurt Warner

RUNNING BACKS (15)

Shaun Alexander, Ottis Anderson, Tiki Barber, Roger Craig, Stephen Davis, *Terrell Davis, Eddie George, Priest Holmes, Edgerrin James, Daryl Johnston, Jamal Lewis, CLINTON PORTIS, Herschel Walker (also KR), Ricky Watters, BRIAN WESTBROOK

WIDE RECEIVERS (9)

Isaac Bruce, Gary Clark, Henry Ellard (also PR), *Marvin Harrison, Torry Holt, TERRELL OWENS, Sterling Sharpe, Jimmy Smith, Rod Smith

TIGHT ENDS (2)

Mark Bavaro, Jay Novacek

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN (19)

Tony Boselli (T), Jeff Bostic ©, Jim Covert (T), ALAN FANECA (G), Jay Hilgenberg ©, Chris Hinton (G/T), Kent Hull ©, Joe Jacoby (T), Jon Jansen (T), Mike Kenn (T), Jim Lachey (T), Kevin Mawae (C/G), Mark May (G/T/C), Tom Nalen ©, Nate Newton (G), *Orlando Pace (T), Chris Samuels (T), Mark Schlereth (G), Steve Wisniewski (G)

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN (6)

Dexter Manley (DE), Charles Mann (DE), Leslie O’Neal (DE), Simeon Rice (DE), Fred Smerlas (NT), Bryant Young (DT)

LINEBACKERS (13)

Cornelius Bennett, Tedy Bruschi, KEITH BULLUCK, *Kevin Greene (also DE), Ken Harvey, Levon Kirkland, Clay Matthews, Willie McGinest (also DE), Karl Mecklenburg, Matt Millen, Sam Mills, Zach Thomas, MIKE VRABEL

DEFENSIVE BACKS (14)

Eric Allen (CB), Steve Atwater (S), Joey Browner (S), LeRoy Butler (S), Rodney Harrison (S), Ty Law (CB), Albert Lewis (CB), *John Lynch (S), LAWYER MILLOY (SS), DARREN SHARPER (FS), Shawn Springs (CB), Troy Vincent (CB/S), Everson Walls (CB), Darren Woodson (S)

KICKERS/PUNTER(6)

*Morten Andersen (K), Gary Anderson (K), JOHN CARNEY (K), Jason Elam (K), Sean Landeta (P), Nick Lowery (K)

SPECIAL TEAMS/POSITION PLAYERS (3)

ETHAN ALBRIGHT (LS), Brian Mitchell (KR/PR also RB), Steve Tasker (also WR)

COACHES (15)

*Don Coryell, Bill Cowher, *Tony Dungy, Tom Flores, Mike Holmgren, *Jimmy Johnson, Chuck Knox, Buddy Parker, Richie Petitbon, Dan Reeves, Pete Rodriguez, Lou Saban, Marty Schottenheimer, Clark Shaughnessy, Dick Vermeil

SENIOR CANDIDATES (2)

Ken Stabler, Dick Stanfel

2016 CONTRIBUTOR CANDIDATE

Eddie DeBartolo, Jr.

Modern era nominees list gets trimmed to 25 semifinalists in November, then to 15 finalists in January

Those 15 plus Stabler, Stanfel and DeBartolo, Jr. get presented to the HOF Selection Commitee for election the eve of Super Bowl 50

I think Favre is the only real lock I see, Owens should be but I could see voters using his antics as a reason to make him wait a season or two to get in. If this was two years ago I think Sharper would have had a good chance but now, fuck that guy he doesn't deserve anything. I think Pace, Davis, Warner, Law and Blesdsoe should all get in (I may be very biased toward two of them but I do think Law legit deserves it).

My list...

Favre...absolute no brainer.

Terrell Davis...was the best running back in the league for 2-3 seasons while Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders were in their prime.  He was as good as anyone ever before his body betrayed him, and I don't think injuries should be held against you.

T.O. if he doesn't get in, they should take football out of the name of the building.  He was a great football player, and that is all that should really matter.

#88...just because I'm not saying he shouldn't be included on a public forum.

Kevin Greene...I don't know what they've been waiting for, he was as good of a pass rushing linebacker as there has ever been.

Clay Matthews...he should have been in a long time ago.  He was the best defensive player on a Browns team that went to 3 AFC Championship games.  If they would have won one of those games odds are he'd be in already.  The Bills got to 4 Super Bowls and lost, and people remember all of their great players.  The Browns got to 3 AFC title games and apparently no one on any of those teams was any good.  One game difference, remembered completely differently.

Favre and Owens are the first ballots. If TO was even slightly lower statistically he might have to wait but he's a numbers monster; it's not a Hall of Fame without him. Orlando Pace should have been first ballot, I think he gets in this year. Edge James believe it or not is 11th all time in rushing yards, only 30 yds behind Marshall Faulk so he should probably get in.

I think Jimmy Johnson should finally go in this year.

Boselli and Fred Taylor are probably the only Jags that will ever get serious consideration, but will probably never make it. Shame that Jimmy Smith loved nose candy so much that he'd rather quit than give it up. Could've easily gotten into top 15 in all-time receiving yards and possibly 80+ TDs and made a much better case for himself.

Issac Bruce and Orlando Pace not being in already is a bit of a shocker. 

Pace, Warner, and Faulk were better? That's all I've got.

Well that and there was/is a logjam at WR position that the voters have begun to untangle, with Carter, Reed and Brown in the last few years. Owens has the stats, but I bet Pious Peter and his cronies make him wait a year or two. Marvin Harrison this year? 

As for Davis, I know his peak was much higher, but in terms of career yards he ranks with the Stephen Davis and Michael Turner's. I'm not sure that 1 insane year, I Great year, one good year, one medicore and two shit years gets you in the hall of fame. . .

There's a lot of talk about HOF stuff here in St. Louis due to the overflow of Greatest Show on Turf players and I generally think Warner has the worst case of those left. I'd break it down as most likely to get into chances they do as.

Orlando Pace: Legitimate argument for being the best LT, if not Offensive Lineman of the last 25 years. 

Isaac Bruce: Just an outstanding wideout, top 10 in NFL history in most major stats, also to his advantage doesn't have the Owens/Moss/Harrison personality that might hold a WR back. Might have to wait, but he'll get in.

Torrey Holt: The Wideout logjam will hurt him, but this is a guy that led a 10 year stretch of one of the passing happiest times in NFL in catches and receiving yards, and has the NFL record for most consecutive 1300 yard seasons at 6. He should get in.

Kurt Warner: Amazingly good QB in prime, but his prime didn't last long. His redemption in Arizona should help, but it doesn't promise anything. He'll have a better case then any QB from now till when Manning or Brady are eligible, but there's such a backlog of amazing players everywhere, it might end with him out.

Pace, Warner, and Faulk were better? That's all I've got.

Well that and there was/is a logjam at WR position that the voters have begun to untangle, with Carter, Reed and Brown in the last few years. Owens has the stats, but I bet Pious Peter and his cronies make him wait a year or two. Marvin Harrison this year?

As for Davis, I know his peak was much higher, but in terms of career yards he ranks with the Stephen Davis and Michael Turner's. I'm not sure that 1 insane year, I Great year, one good year, one medicore and two shit years gets you in the hall of fame. . .

Arguably the best three year stretch by a running back ever, a MVP award, a Superbowl MVP award, and was the biggest weapon on a team that won two straight Superbowls. He belongs.

Owens was an asshole. There are other players in the hall of fame who were assholes. It shouldn't matter at all.  He was the perfect combination of size and speed. One of my best friends still has nightmares about the wild card game against the Giants.  Also, what Owens did in that Super Bowl against the Pats was superhuman.

Please note I will never say Owens shouldn't be in there, but this is sports writers putting people in, and they typically have a "kissing our ass should count for some reason" mindset.

As the kids these days like to say, Fixed That For You.