DVDVR Message Board

2016 Pro Football Hall of Fame Discussion

paragon11

The football conclave is especially bad. Baseball writers have their own set of problems, but at least there are hundreds of them, as compared to the 30 or so that decide the football HOF.  Peter King is still trying to rally support for Darren Sharper(or was last time KSK was still around, I can't bear to read that windbag as is), and is such a smug asshole about the process in general. I won't be surprised either way about TO when the time comes, though he deserves it. 

I feel like King discusses the process every year after the vote is announced.

But yeah, if you are going to back Sharper because "only on field matters" than TO is a lock, right?

The Star, Sharpie, and Jacket were all on field thou (I still think he should be in but its not like is on field game was clean)

Yeah, but the point is that character is not part of the guidelines like it is in MLB. That's the argument King makes for Sharper (who, BTW, I'm not positive is a hall of fame level guy even putting aside the off field stuff. Also, I hope he dies.)

The baseball hall of fame is still the biggest farce.  No Bonds means there shouldn't be a hall at all.  He's better than anyone in it not named Ruth.

Rickey say Rickey be the greatest. I tend to agree.

Also, Ken Stabler definitely belongs in, just sad that it probably will have taken his death to get him in. Tom Flores as well, he won two Super Bowls as a head coach.

• 3 months later...

Last night, the finalists for the 2016 Hall of Fame class were announced.  The field has narrowed down to:

Morten Andersen

Steve Atwater

Don Coryell

Terrell Davis

Tony Dungy

Alan Faneca

Brett Favre

Kevin Greene

Marvin Harrison

Joe Jacoby

Edgerrin James

John Lynch

Terrell Owens

Orlando Pace

Kurt Warner

SENIOR FINALISTS

Ken Stabler

Dick Stanfel

CONTRIBUTOR FINALIST

Eddie DeBartolo, Jr.

Boy, if they put DeBartolo in, the character part REALLY doesn't matter huh?

Where are you from?  I'm from close to where DeBartolo is from and let's just say his name rings out in the streets.  In a place that used to have the highest murder rate in the country, his name was one you didn't say out loud.  If character matters, they should drive a little bit down the road from Canton and ask around whether or not he's a hall of famer. Same goes for #88 in Philadelphia.

T.O., T.D., Favre, Faneca, and Orlando Pace would be my ballot.

• Like 1

Edge is such an interesting candidate.  I think he should go in, but I think he may go down as the most underrated player in the history of the league.  He was Marshall Faulk's replacement when Faulk was the best player in the league.  So despite how good he was, he wasn't that.  He was arguably the 3rd best offensive player on his team at his best.  While everyone was drooling over Peyton and #88  he was quietly a fucking monster who could literally do anything you wanted a running back to do. 

• 4 weeks later...

PFT's reporting that DeBartolo is also in.

That isn't a surprising since it appears much like the veteran picks - the contributors picks will automatically get in in kind of that wink wink deal

But clearly they aren't letting character issues stop people this year

PFT's reporting that DeBartolo is also in.

That isn't a surprising since it appears much like the veteran picks - the contributors picks will automatically get in in kind of that wink wink deal

But clearly they aren't letting character issues stop people this year

Apparently it stopped TO, though. He announced on Twitter that he didn't get in.

Can't wait to read Peter King sanctimonious defense of this shit. Ken Stabler is only now good enough after he's dead? Letting Debartlo in renders ANY character argument, EVER irrelevant, given that the man had he franchise taken away. . . .

• Like 1