DVDVR Message Board

2016 Pro Football Hall of Fame Discussion

paragon11

Two guys representing the team I cheer for made it, so yay for that.

Good on them to vote in Stabler when he's no longer around to care.  <_<  And even if he was still with us, he may be too far gone to understand what was happening. :(

No TO is a total joke.  What's the holdup--that he's an asshole?  If that's a problem, 90% of the guy in the Hall shouldn't be enshrined.

• Like 1

No TO is a total joke.  What's the holdup--that he's an asshole?  If that's a problem, 90% of the guy in the Hall shouldn't be enshrined.

Well if the hold up is that he was an asshole then it makes the Harrison nomination even more confusing.    I mean TO was a jerk at times but at least people don't think he shot anyone

The more I think about it the more I'm OK with Dungy going in.  He only had one losing season as a coach, and pretty much did the impossible by making Tampa a perennial contender.  Additionally, he gave more black coaches opportunities than anyone else.  The Rooney Rule becomes more of a mockery every season, because most of the NFL pretends that they can only find the same two or three black people.  Dungy's coaching tree was basically a one stop shop for black coaching candidates.  Every black head coach that made it to the Super Bowl is either Tony Dungy or someone who coached under Tony Dungy.  Putting black coaches in a position to prove their worth is probably his biggest contribution to football.

No TO is a total joke. What's the holdup--that he's an asshole? If that's a problem, 90% of the guy in the Hall shouldn't be enshrined.

Well if the hold up is that he was an asshole then it makes the Harrison nomination even more confusing. I mean TO was a jerk at times but at least people don't think he shot anyone

Dont be a jerk but its okay to be ...

Possibly a murderer

Homophobic

Bribe a governor and los your team

Send dick pics to female 'reporter'

Etc

All from the same football industrial complex that continues to deny and obfuscate CTE research ...

The more I think about it the more I'm OK with Dungy going in. He only had one losing season as a coach, and pretty much did the impossible by making Tampa a perennial contender. Additionally, he gave more black coaches opportunities than anyone else. The Rooney Rule becomes more of a mockery every season, because most of the NFL pretends that they can only find the same two or three black people. Dungy's coaching tree was basically a one stop shop for black coaching candidates. Every black head coach that made it to the Super Bowl is either Tony Dungy or someone who coached under Tony Dungy. Putting black coaches in a position to prove their worth is probably his biggest contribution to football.

You've done a great job of selling me on a guy I've never considered deserving. Well done.

TO didn't play the game the right way. He should have been a class guy like Harrison. There's a stand up dude in every sense of the word. Went in, did his job, didn't draw attention to himself. That's such a part of his DNA that he didn't even come to the ceremony! That's the sort of guy I want my kids looking up to, not a boisterous, self assured and self centered braggart.

TO didn't play the game the right way. He should have been a class guy like [redacted]. There's a stand up dude in every sense of the word. Went in, did his job, didn't draw attention to himself. That's such a part of his DNA that he didn't even come to the ceremony! That's the sort of guy I want my kids looking up to, not a boisterous, self assured and self centered braggart.

It is funny how not calling attention to yourself works in so many walks of life.  I wonder where that guy I never heard of learned the value of being lethal, but quiet?  T.O. not getting in is ridiculous.  I don't think anyone could credibly argue that he isn't top 5 all time at his position.  The only person I can say for sure was better than him was Jerry Rice, everyone else is up for debate.

TO didn't play the game the right way. He should have been a class guy like [redacted]. There's a stand up dude in every sense of the word. Went in, did his job, didn't draw attention to himself. That's such a part of his DNA that he didn't even come to the ceremony! That's the sort of guy I want my kids looking up to, not a boisterous, self assured and self centered braggart.

It is funny how not calling attention to yourself works in so many walks of life. I wonder where that guy I never heard of learned the value of being lethal, but quiet? T.O. not getting in is ridiculous. I don't think anyone could credibly argue that he isn't top 5 all time at his position. The only person I can say for sure was better than him was Jerry Rice, everyone else is up for debate.

Well done on the [redacted]. Look, if TO had been a little nicer to (questionable) quarterbacks and didn't celebrate so much (after scoring touchdowns) and had Played The Game The Right Way he could be great like Brett Favre who showed no emotion whatsoever and never had any off the field stuff. It's not the Hall of Ego, it's the hall of fame.

(TO is second only to Steve Smith as my favorite player of all time.)

Not sure if I said this here, but, now that Snake is most deservedly in (although he deserved it in his lifetime), I'm selling tickets for the Jim Plunkett to Canton train, he's the only guy to start, and win, two Super Bowls and not be in.

• Like 1

I know he choked like a dog on a chicken bone in the playoffs, but Marty Schottenheimer has 200 wins, and isn't in? But Tony Dungee is Peter King's buddy, so that makes him better. . . .

I'm a Marty guy.  I also think that Marty is the coach you get when you have a young team that needs to learn how to win, and you need to get him the hell away from your team once they figure it out.  If you could get him to coach your team Monday through Saturday and bring in a substitute on Sundays he'd have multiple Super Bowls, but you can't do that.  He just never made the right in game adjustments in the playoffs.

I know he choked like a dog on a chicken bone in the playoffs, but Marty Schottenheimer has 200 wins, and isn't in? But Tony Dungee is Peter King's buddy, so that makes him better. . . .

I'm a Marty guy. I also think that Marty is the coach you get when you have a young team that needs to learn how to win, and you need to get him the hell away from your team once they figure it out. If you could get him to coach your team Monday through Saturday and bring in a substitute on Sundays he'd have multiple Super Bowls, but you can't do that. He just never made the right in game adjustments in the playoffs.

Andy Reid?

I'm a Marty guy. I also think that Marty is the coach you get when you have a young team that needs to learn how to win, and you need to get him the hell away from your team once they figure it out. If you could get him to coach your team Monday through Saturday and bring in a substitute on Sundays he'd have multiple Super Bowls, but you can't do that. He just never made the right in game adjustments in the playoffs.

Andy Reid?

I think I'd rather have Marty, frankly. I know he played really tight, but Andy can't manage timeouts or the two minute drill either. . . 

If you wanted more confirmation that football folks - like baseball writers - make it all about themselves

TO kept out because "he was disruptive in the locker room"

“I’ll take you inside the room on this, and it was the second longest discussion we had in the room other that Eddie DeBartolo,” Gary Myers of the New York Daily News told The Dan Patrick Show. “The bottom line on T.O. is he was so disruptive. Now with L.T., you don’t count the off-the-field stuff. That’s a mandate from the Hall of Fame. It’s only what you’ve done on the field. The argument that was made in the room, and I agree with this, is what T.O. did in the locker room is part of –”

“That counts?” asked guest host Ross Tucker. “Why don’t you just evaluate what’s inside the white lines?”

“Because I think that the locker room is an extension of that,” Myers said.

“But how do you really know what happened in the locker room?” Tucker said.

“But he tore teams apart.”

“But how do you really know that?”

“He’s a Hall of Fame player that five teams couldn’t wait to get rid of,” Myers said. “So what does that tell you about how disruptive he was?”