DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 - Q4

RIPPA

I'm not the biggest Charlotte fan, but she's had way too many good matches to say she sucks. Her problem as a babyface is she doesn't have a likeable personality, and she's so much bigger than most of the other women it's hard to draw sympathy. She works as a face against Sasha because Sasha is nasty and vicious enough to give Charlotte a proper beat down. Charlotte selling for the likes of Brie Bella just looks silly.

I'm curious to see if Charlotte and Nikki can have a good match. My initial thought is probably not, but Charlotte has been an excellent big match worker so far.

Charlotte's at her best working heel/tweener. It just fits her style and character better.

Man, y'all wanting Paige to turn... aren't we complaining about how teams are created just to be broken up in short order? When did the NXT women show up on Raw? Like a month ago? Can't things play out as is for a while before turns and overbooking happen?

I'm perfectly fine with Team PCB exploding sooner than later. It fits with the reason why Paige had trouble building a team in the first place, and Becky is the only member who actually makes a good face anyways.

Aside from the Breeze/Bull match, I continue to be disappointed in them jobbing out KC and Billie, it sure would be nice to see them pick up a win at some point before they get the stench of jobber on them.

They will redebut with a different gimmick next year anyways so they are fine jobbing for now.

It's better than the alternative of putting the Dana/Carmella types in there together and having horrible matches.

I thought all four women came out looking pretty good after tonight.

Charlotte just...she pops up after big moves, doesn't sell limbs, and has zero real charisma. She's not without upsides and is plenty carryable with smart work. Who were her great matches with? Sasha and Bayley mostly who are legitimately amazing.

The hype is bigger than her skill by miles and she was far and away the least of the Horsewomen. Without the protection of NXT booking, she's likely to get super exposed on the main roster.

• Like 1

Joe and Balor looked good in a main roster setting. I could see Balor becoming a big deal. I really don't think Dana is that far off from being decent she has enough in ring charisma that when she puts it all together it should be a pretty solid overall package. She's certainly miles better than Eva. Camella is still rough around the edges, but that transition into her finish was really nice.

First time seeing Gargano, and he looks like a keeper.

I really liked both women's matches. They obviously weren't anything Four Horsewomen quality. But Carmella and Dana are both wrestling in-character really well. They're going to get over on their shtick first, before they become good enough to have a 10-15 minute match. The two Aussie women are obviously very good. Bayley/Sasha/Emma/Becky all started off with essentially no character type. They were just out there to wrestle Paige/Summer/etc. Then they more-or-less came-of-age with their gimmicks and took off. Baron Corbin and Adrian English also had the same route. Excited to see what they end up doing personality wise.

I loved the editing this week with all the tag team matches in short-form from whatever house show, along with the Smackdown announcers doing that match.

I really hate Gargano and whoever that cheesebag with the fauxhawk is. Their finisher is awful.

Dana looked like she has been putting in some ring hours. Both Dana and Carmella were signed the same time in 2013, it's interesting to see how each progressed in ring; Dana's athleticism and experience in fitness competitions seems to have given her an advantage.

Bull is a man of much substance (much of which is round), so it was hard to keep him in that pin for long (he did twist his upper body so that his shoulders were technically down).

Was wondering how Balor would change his entrance theatrics for the main roster; going with the leather coat and rock star posing works for his normal entrance.

Heel techniques or not, Balor looked like a big-time star.  As far as star power goes he can be called up right now and fit in like a glove.  And Joe looked great out there, would love for him be called up.  He could always do occasional matches in NXT, but he's got so many quality opponents on the main roster.  And he's not old but if you're going to call him up now's the time to do it.

Thinking about what's on the horizon you have Sami and Itami returning whenever they're cleared.  So for indy guys that leaves them with Balor, Joe, Crews and if signed Gargano and Ciampa.  Ciampa is the lesser of those five but can go when needed.  If they're running with it you'll have Balor against Itami.  So for Sami he wouldn't have Owens to go against, he'd be back to going for the title.  That sounds like a pretty good late 2015/2016 to me.  Even if Balor and/or Joe get called up they NXT will still be in good shape.  Add on guys like Breeze and they'll be just fine.

If I never have to hear Jimmy Uso on commentary again, I'll consider it a life well-lived.

Seeing Balor and Joe get main roster entrances and solid crowd reactions was great, though, and I really like the presentation of the tag tournament so far - showing that the tournament is a big enough deal that it spans NXT house shows, the regular Full Sail event, and an arena show.

• Like 2

Oh, right, almost forgot about the crowd.  Never would have pictured Providence to have enough people that cared, but you can definitely tell there were those that knew.  Saw a good amount of people going with Balor's entrance and even the Too Sweet hand gesture.  There also seemed to be a good reaction to Joe as well.

I liked both women's matches as well. Glad that Peyton and Billie have entrance music. Now, the wait to see which gimmicks they will develop. I thought this was the best Dana and Carmella have looked yet. 

The difference in Carmella's match this week and the one against Eva Marie shows you just how friggin' awful Everything Red is.

Dana is so good at being a bad person in the ring. She really gets her character and knows to trash talk and gloat and pose. The pacing and execution of what she did in the ring was solid. I know they have Sara or whoever else putting these together, but it still needs to get executed and she did really well.

But yes, I think these were their two best matches, too. And none of The Horsewomen were involved. Good sign that Peyton and Billie might serve well as The Next Generation once they get personas. It might take a bit because there's Bayley/Emma/Dana/Carmella/Alexa/Eva/Nia and too many cooks isn't a good thing.

If you guys didn't know, highlights from the other 1st round matches are all on youtube. Those matches being

Enzo & Cass vs. Fulton & Dawkins

Blake & Murphy vs. The Vaudevillians

The Hype Brothers vs. Wolfe & Kekoa

Samson & Knight vs. Dawson & Wilder

Winners were....

Enzo & Cass, Vaudevillians, Hype Brothers, and Dawson & Wilder