DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

I've recently discovered Strike Back on Cinemax / HBO Canada - it's a combined US/UK production about a fictional British military Intelligence unit.

It's kind of a weird blend of Homeland, 24 and Banshee - and it's pretty enjoyable "turn your brain off and just enjoy it" viewing.

And Charles motherfucking Dance just showed up in Season 2

I've recently discovered Strike Back on Cinemax / HBO Canada - it's a combined US/UK production about a fictional British military Intelligence unit.

It's kind of a weird blend of Homeland, 24 and Banshee - and it's pretty enjoyable "turn your brain off and just enjoy it" viewing.

And Charles motherfucking Dance just showed up in Season 2

Strike Back is fucking awesome.  Have loved it for a while since it was one half of the best block on television with Banshee on Cinemax's Friday Night Badasses.

Fifth season should be starting soon.  I think it is the final one. :(

Season One had Richard Armitage and Andrew Lincoln in it as the Section 20 ops guys.  Armitage got the role of Thorin Oakenshield in The Hobbit trilogy and left while Lincoln departed to start work on The Walking Dead.  Armitage's character, John Porter, gets popped in the first ep of Season 2 and that is when Scott and Stonebridge take over.

I'm nearly to the end of season 2 of Men of a Certain Age, which is the last of the entire series thanks to its early cancellation. F-U, TNT for killing one of the best shows ever made.

• Like 1

Since the Ballers comments brought it up in my mind, the difference between Curb and Louie is that Louie has characters you can sympathize or empathize with, and Curb is curated around a sociopath who you can't feel anything for. It's taking Seinfeld and putting every asshole in that show's worst traits in one character, that being Larry. Not that it still isn't funny sometimes, but it's not my taste in humor.

I'm nearly to the end of season 2 of Men of a Certain Age, which is the last of the entire series thanks to its early cancellation. F-U, TNT for killing one of the best shows ever made.

Great show. I wish this show had at least gotten Friday Night Light's cult following.

Ray Donovan is decent so far but what the everloving fuck is up with Katie Holmes' mouth?  She has these huge braces, looking like Richard Kiel.  I saw an article that mentioned her taking a dental appliance out of her mouth on set, so is this just an acting choice?  If so, why would a the rich character she plays not get better braces?  If Katie Holes really does have braces IRL, why didn't Katie Holmes get better braces?  None of this makes any fucking sense. 

The "Bunchy's sexual awakening at the hands of a domineering luchadora" is...unexpected.

So I have Hulu+ and they're running an offer to add Showtime for $8.99 a month. For those who have it, is there enough on Showtime to make it worth adding?

This season of Ray Donovan has been pretty mediocre and the bloom has fallen from the rose on Penny Dreadful.

Shameless and House of Lies are both pretty good.

Good stuff on the horizon include the continuance of Twin Peaks with Lynch coming back to write and Spielberg's series based on the video game, HALO, premiers this fall.

• Like 1

So I have Hulu+ and they're running an offer to add Showtime for $8.99 a month. For those who have it, is there enough on Showtime to make it worth adding?

Well there's the aforementioned Ray Donovan, which I enjoy.  Come on JT, it's only 2 episodes in! 

Masters of Sex was good but it's getting a little tiresome and I can't stand whatever Lizzy Caplan's voice affect is supposed to be.  Can you go back and watch old shows?  The first few seasons of Dexter were good before it shit the bed.  Homeland starts up again in the fall is is a good show, though season 2 was a little meh.  Overall, I'd give it a shot.

• Like 1

Anyone hear actually watch Teen Wolf?

I've been watching the current season (5, I think) with my teenage daughter and am considering watching the first four seasons (we're going to end up buying the DVDs for her anyway).  I'm kinda intrigued by the show.  The eps I've watched from this season are surprisingly dark and weird.  On the other hand, nothing about the characters/writing/'effects has pulled me in, so I'm kinda on the fence whether it's worth the time investment.

Thoughts?

Every time I'm over my sister-in-law's house she's watching Teen Wolf, and I start talking about car surfing and playing YouTube clips of Big Wolf on Campus. Everyone sort of politely backs out of the room.

Every time I'm over my sister-in-law's house she's watching Teen Wolf, and I start talking about car surfing and playing YouTube clips of Big Wolf on Campus. Everyone sort of politely backs out of the room.

If I lived in your neck of the woods, I would proudly drive the van sporting my "What Are You Looking At D**knose?" t-shirt!

Edit: So I took the plunge and added Showtime to my Hulu+ account. Not quite the amount of content I was expecting but I'm hoping since it's new, they'll improve upon that. It also unfortunately does not work on XBox 360 as of yet. Another issue I'm hoping they will correct at some point. It does have all their signature series and documentaries so I'll have plenty to watch at least until the end of the year.

I sure hope Wayward Pines comes back in some form or other. In terms of "Twin Peaks rip off shows", it was actually one of the better ones.

I thought it was aspiring to be a rip-off of The Prisoner?

Just basically binge watched Orange is the New Black season 3 and I was honestly bored. I get onto a lot of shows that have these 20+ episode seasons because the middle of the seasons just drag. I'm usually a big fan of the slow burn storytelling but in a case like this where there are only 13 episodes there is no reason for every episode not to be packed with crazy shit. Instead it took all season for anything interesting to happen. The only thing that really had me interested was Lori Petty's character which I guess tied into the "who is going to fuck Alex up" story arc. Last season bothered me because I felt like I was watching 2003 RAW where every episode ended with the heel on top with V outsmarting everybody, at every turn, until she randomly gets ran over which even that I felt like was shitty because nobody else at the prison got the "rub" of taking her out. Instead she was just randomly ran over and still go over on all those bitches without any real retaliation from any of them. Atleast that season was still interesting though this one wasn't. I don't think I'll be back for season 4 the show seems to have ran its course. 

Christ I hate whatsisname in the last season we got instead. All of Eric and Kelso's positive traits, none of their flaws... God damn he ruins that season singlehandedly

2/3 of the way thru BoJack season one. Every ep has at least one bwahaha funny moment for me, and occasionally it's really poignant and/or insightful, but it's proving much more a time-passer than an obsession-builder. I like it, but I don't get the hype I'm hearing from some quarters (a friend-of-a-friend just announced on Facebook he's getting a damned tattoo...)

2/3 of the way thru BoJack season one. Every ep has at least one bwahaha funny moment for me, and occasionally it's really poignant and/or insightful, but it's proving much more a time-passer than an obsession-builder. I like it, but I don't get the hype I'm hearing from some quarters (a friend-of-a-friend just announced on Facebook he's getting a damned tattoo...)

Just finished it. It's fucking brilliant. It helps to understand the show if you're a depressive I guess. I think the appreciation for it is building as people realize that it's less Family Guy and more Daria. It's dramedy, not straight comedy.

Plus, episode five gave me two huge VA mark-out moments, the first when Cedric Yarbrough did the Chicken4Dayz ad in his Stinkmeaner voice, and the second when the newscaster voiced by Keith Olberman interviewed the Chicken4Dayz CEO and they had him voiced by Craig Motherfucking Kilborn...