DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling cliches that should be brought back

cwoy2j

On the heels of the cliches that should be abolished, what should come back? I'm all for heels cheating and then pointing to their heads to indicate intelligence. Also, more angles in an actual locker room. One of my favorite angles was after Windham turned on Luger, he was celebrating in the heels locker room with the Horsemen and the MX and the Midnight Rider stormed in to confront him about his actions. A brawl ensued. More of that. Please.

• Like 1

Stipulations that actually mean something. 30 years ago Gary Hart had to go bald for life if his man lost a match... and he lived up to the stip. Now they mean nothing.

I think they should do a man has to grow his hair out if he shaves his head on a normal basis match. Force Austin to grow a long blonde skullet in his hay-day.

• Like 2

Full introductions for every competitor. You can always tell who WWE doesn't give a fuck about by who's standing in the ring with their entrance music already halfway over when the show returns from commercial. And it sends the message that we shouldn't give a fuck either. I think there's time to take out a recap or two per show to make this happen.

• Like 2

I'd like to see heels gloat when they win over faces more--standing over their opponents, saying something slick.  Simply taunting is so effective. Vanquished opponents tend to roll out of the ring so quickly nowadays--it wasn't always like this IIRC.  Owens does it in spots, but it's lacking from the other heels.

More babyfaces who are friends and consistently stick up for their buddy. It happens so rarely in WWE that when Roman Reigns was palling around with Dean Ambrose, everyone assumed it must only be to setup a turn. Why would two wrestlers be friends?!

Bring back the tag ropes(haven't watched in ten years, so forgive me), and especially the choking the babyfaces with them. Its really the emphasis on the little things, the artistry that has gone out of the "sport".  The hooking the good leg, as the opponent can't kick with the bad one, references to the pay window, etc. . . .

I think they should do a man has to grow his hair out if he shaves his head on a normal basis match. Force Austin to grow a long blonde skullet in his hay-day.

They sort of did this is Dragon Gate/Toryumon.  Kenichiro Arai and Bakery Yagi had a feud where they were both sort of doing a shaved head, as part of a stip, they both had to grow out their hair and had a reverse hair match.  Arai won and there's the weird moment of his laughing and shaving is own head while laughing at Yagi who was bannished for awhile to grow out his hair

• Like 2

Anything to do with choking or stuff like that you'll never see as long as WWE is corporate. Lots of banished heel stuff because of it.

World heayweight title matches being two-out-of-three falls. If title matches had their own special gimmick, they'd feel a bit more unusual and different (and 2-out-of-3 is practically the only gimmick match which doesn't limit what the competitors can do out there, the match is still basically worked the same way). And it would give an easy excuse as to why the main event is longer than the other matches, too.

More non-lucha generic masked wrestlers, wrestlers from parts unknown.

And bring back Jack Victory to play them all. My favorite gimmick of his was The Blackmailer. That name had to be a rib on somebody.

• Like 1

Every night being the greatest night in the history of our sport.

...and every match being the biggest match of the century or the most important match of someone's career.

EDIT: This should be in the other thread.

Edited by The Z
  • Like 1

I just want to see certain moves make a return. I don't even know when the last time I saw a side russian leg sweep on WWE TV, and that makes me sad.

I also would like to see more babyfaces helping babyfaces after a heel does something super dastardly.

I also want to see the main babyface show up during a heel beatdown on a friend like he just got out of the shower as soon as someone told him. One of my favorite pro wrestling memories as a kid was Jerry Lawler showing up with shaving cream and a towel on to save a friend while several heels were kicking his ass.

Basically, I want more Memphis staples in my pro wrestling,

• Like 3