DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Hero trimmed down and then put some weight on while waiting to get called up. I think it was a concern about complacency. If every guy who isn't utilized the way they like doesn't take care of their body then half the roster would look like Dick Murdoch...which would be awesome. But, in the parlance of our times, "It's an upper body business dammit."

So? There's a fat people movement that landed a large woman on the cover of People magazine. Fat in wrestling has been there for a long time. Haystacks, Dusty Rhodes, Dick Murdoch, King Kong Bundy, Viscera, Yokozuna, Umaga....and a long list of others, have all been fat and successful in wrestling.

Yes, I am perfectly aware of that.  And half of those names listed are some of my favorites to watch in the ring.

And really, you're quoting a "fat people movement" in your argument?  Seriously?

The problem, as noted, is not that Hero had gained weight, but that he seemed completely uninterested in fixing it.  WWE has a certain standard they want their workers to maintain, and he didn't appear to be doing so, for whatever reason (motivation, injuries, etc).

That doesn't mean Chris Hero is a bad worker.  It means he's not what WWE wants.

@LanaWWE

Thank you everyone for sending me positive thoughts and wishes. My pride was hurt more than my ankle. ICE does miracles !

@WWEBigE

So does clapping. I once clapped a lady's torn Achilles' tendon back to health. Required a few private sessions.

• Like 10

Big E is the power-based wrestling, wisecracking WWE champ we need, but Kevin Nash is the power-based wrestling, wisecracking WWE champ we deserve. 

• Like 2

So the RUMBLINGS are that Gabe has entered into some kind of agreement with WWE, but I've seen nothing concrete on that.

Supposed to be up on WO tonight, but what deal could it be that's "game changing" as some are calling it?

What I'm surmising is that WWE has either outright purchased Evolve/WWN or will enter an agreement with those companies because of a) distribution in China and/or b ) as a way to farm indy talent for NXT via Evolve, Shine, etc. while also being able to use them as minor leagues so that NXT as a third brand is viable. 

What amazes me about NXT is that it is essentially what the brand split was supposed to be years ago. When heel Kevin Owens gets booed for shit-talking Sami Zayn, but then gets NXT chants once he pivots to talking about John Cena, it's clear that they have a case where NXT really has been set up as the outsider company with the real talent even though it's under the WWE umbrella.

Meltzer essentially stated that some people will think WWE's reasons for swallowing/allying with Evolve/WWN are petty (to hurt Global Force and Jarrett or to hurt TNA), but that they actually make good sense. 

So? There's a fat people movement that landed a large woman on the cover of People magazine. Fat in wrestling has been there for a long time. Haystacks, Dusty Rhodes, Dick Murdoch, King Kong Bundy, Viscera, Yokozuna, Umaga....and a long list of others, have all been fat and successful in wrestling.

Yes, I am perfectly aware of that.  And half of those names listed are some of my favorites to watch in the ring.

And really, you're quoting a "fat people movement" in your argument?  Seriously?

The problem, as noted, is not that Hero had gained weight, but that he seemed completely uninterested in fixing it.  WWE has a certain standard they want their workers to maintain, and he didn't appear to be doing so, for whatever reason (motivation, injuries, etc).

That doesn't mean Chris Hero is a bad worker.  It means he's not what WWE wants.

My point was that the thought of cosmetics dictatating drawing power is clearly an innaccurate assesment given current cultural trends and previous history on the matter.

Now that people have gone explaining it being an attitude issue, ok. Not the first guy to have that problem, just weird. The guy has dedication for what he does, but he doesn't seemingly want to do what it takes to get to that final ledge. Maybe he's just not wired that way.