DVDVR Message Board

Global Force Wrestling Debut!

Is Mickie Knuckles still working? Because I'm sure Russo can't wait to change her first name back to 'Moose' again.

Yep, still working.  She worked an indy show in my area two weeks ago.

May have been her last, as she announced her retirement this past week.

Is Mickie Knuckles still working? Because I'm sure Russo can't wait to change her first name back to 'Moose' again.

Yep, still working.  She worked an indy show in my area two weeks ago.

May have been her last, as she announced her retirement this past week.

Thanks.  Didn't know that.  In any case, she had been working steadily since her TNA stint (did take off 2012 due to pregnancy, irrc).

This is what Jarrett said in an interview

Jeff Jarrett also hasn't disclosed his talent roster, but that news is coming soon, and he said there will be wrestlers from around the globe in addition to new faces from the United States. By sharing talent with promotions from other countries, Jeff Jarrett is harkening to the days when professional wrestling was a regional business in America.

He said independent talent is better than ever across the world because of what he calls the "Rock effect," which is a generation of young aspiring wrestlers who grew up watching wrestling during the Attitude Era when larger-than-life characters such as The Rock headlined the industry.

"In the '80s and '70s, there were 22 regional promotions around the country," Jeff Jarrett said. "You'd have six or eight guys that were the mainstays and would pretty much stay there. Everybody else would come in for three months and move out. It kept everybody fresh in the minds of the fans.

"This isn't revolutionary in my mind, but I'm doing the same thing on a global level to get talent from all these different promotions. To me, it helps everybody out."

The problem with trying to ape the territorial system in 2015 is that the talent you would want to build your territory around is already signed to a national promotion with a tv contract, leaving you to pick up scraps.  The territories died out in part because their biggest stars were jumping ship to sign contracts with the WWF (and WCW).  The situation has gotten far worse since the late 80's.  At this point, the WWF is the NFL and anyone else is the XFL, CFL, Arena League, etc.  There's a sizable perception issue facing any new promotion.

TNA kinda operated in the same way at the start. Sure they had Jarrett, Truth, Styles, AMW, XXX, Abyss, etc. as the mainstays, but then there would be random appearances from Juvi, Teddy Hart, LOD, etc. The problems with the booking, etc. are well documented so I won't go into that. If GFW takes the approach Jarrett is talking about, it will definitely keep his promotion fresh. GFW will need to be sure to keep its top 10 guys strong. Doing what TNA did would be a HUGE mistake and would be Jarrett repeating his problems. GFW can't have its version of Monty Brown running around kicking ass and looking like a WHC only to be 'jumped in line' by the new flavor of the month. If GFW 'stays the course' and books their top 10 guys strong...the revolving undercard (Tag Team Champion issues an open challenge, random exhibition matches that mean nothing in the grand scheme of things, tournaments for a 100,000 check/ shot at a NJPW, CMLL, AAA championship, etc.). There is so much that can be done.

We shall see how its handled.

I can see GFW being what TNA should've been - Jarrett in a figurehead/occasional wrestler role and NO RUSSO. The problem of course is that there isn't as big a market of high-quality free agents right now, but if Jarrett gets a top-notch TV deal, I can see ROH allowing some of its talent on the shows and New Japan would be an obvious partner for big show talent as well.

Just wondering:

The better name:

Global Force Wrestling *or* Goobal Wrestling Force?

Global Wrestling Force sounds like the Avengers got tired of their day jobs and decided to fight crime by pinning heels inside the ring (sort of how Irwin R. Schyster came to the WWF to catch tax cheats...... and, um, punish them by beating them in the ring.  Okayyyy.  I guess a hefty fine would have been too simple?

That said, in 1991, I could have gotten behind a WWF superhero stable who defeated supervillains trying to take over the world by beating them in sanctioned, non-title matches.  But only when the camera was rolling and the sound guy remembered to cue their music when they came to the ring.

GFW announced on social media (and presumably its website) that they'll have an announcement (I know you're shocked) on Monday about the GFW Grand Slam Tour -
https://instagram.com/p/1rQpC0ldlx/

Judging by the name, they'll be doing a ballpark tour in preparation for the TV tapings in Vegas. Since there's no reason to not tape stuff, they might as well tape these and put them out on Youtube to generate money that way.

Judging by the name, they'll be doing a ballpark tour in preparation for the TV tapings in Vegas. Since there's no reason to not tape stuff, they might as well tape these and put them out on Youtube to generate money that way.

Yup - it's a minor league baseball park tour

The historic first Global Force Wrestling show will be held on Friday night, June 12 at The Ballpark at Jackson in Jackson, Tennessee. as part of GFW’s “MiLB Grand Slam Tour.” The tour will feature stops from Florida to California and several points in between.

It’s a grassroots approach building toward the first GFW broadcast event on Friday, July 24 at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas. Minor-league parks operated by both private ownership and municipalities have agreed to play host to Global Force Wrestling shows when their baseball-playing tenants are out of town. It’s an easy win for the parks, which gain another great source for revenue. For GFW it’s a chance to build momentum, show off its roster and deliver on its mission statement to be the most fan interactive brand in sports entertainment.
The stars of GFW will be appearing in such cities as Knoxville, Tennessee, Richmond, Virginia, and Clinton, Iowa. Dates for the summer ballpark tour are available on globalforcewrestling.com, and more will be added in the coming weeks.

Full release

So, that's 3 TV tapings and 9 house shows from June through October (with several more house shows to be announced). Quite ambitious of them to start with so many shows. Especially for a promotion that isn't on TV yet. Interesting. Looking forward to the roster finally being revealed. It better be good and have some proper stars on it because all these shows need all the help they can get if they hope to draw a decent crowd.

Here are the actual dates of everything so far

Friday 6/12 in Jackson, TN at The Ballpark at Jackson.

Saturday 6/13 in Knoxville, TN at Smokies Park.

Friday 6/20 in Jackson, MS at Trustmark Park.

Saturday 6/21 in Bowling Green, KY at Bowling Green Ballpark.

Friday 7/11 in Lake County, OH at Classic Park.

Friday 7/24 TV Taping in Las Vegas at The Orleans.

Friday 8/21 TV Taping in Las Vegas at the Orleans.

Saturday 8/29 in Richmond, VA at The Diamond Ballpark.

Thursday 9/3 in Waterloo, Iowa at Riverfront Stadium.

Friday 9/4 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa at Perfect Game Field at Veterans Memorial Stadium.

Saturday 9/5 in Clinton, IA at Ashford University Field.

Friday 10/23 in Las Vegas at The Orleans.

I might have gone to the Richmond show just for shits and giggles and to get the band back together but they are running the absolute worst weekend possible as that is the weekend before school starts so I will be working.

I will have to force Hollinger to go to one of the Iowa shows

My whole problem with GFW is that its like everyone has forgotten TNA and all the mistakes Jarrett made there.  He couldn't competently run TNA either.  Not to mention constantly booking himself to be champion when the fans hated it.