DVDVR Message Board

Global Force Wrestling Debut!

GFW is coming to my area in early September. not sure if i wanna go or not. i don't follow any indies so won't know anybody, but it should still be a decent time. guess i'll decide when tickets go onsale and see the prices.

A bunch of friends went to the GFW show last night in Pearl/Jackson MS. Was told it drew around 600 people. And the crowd loved the Doc Gallows vs Luke Hawx match. Which makes sense since Hawx is huge in MS/LA area. Was told the worst match was the women's match.

Bodyslam Media filmed at least a few of the matches. When they get uploaded I will post them. 

The capacity for Smokies Stadium in Sevierville, the site for one of the past shows, is 6,412. So they may have put 300-400 in it. Not good, not good. I knew those venues were pretty damn optimistic. Have they started moving shows yet?

I'm pretty sure these ballpark shows are sold shows so it doesn't really matter what they draw.  And I don't think those first weekend shows did 300-400.  Probably closer to 100-200.

This weekend's shows sounded like they did a lot better crowd-wise:

CIEBzvLWEAEl1dR.jpg

https://twitter.com/GFWWrestling/status/612773019648438272

They should really try to sell VIP seats on the field if they can.

They really should have gone with smaller venues. An empty baseball stadium looks terrible, even moreso considering these are the companies debut shows.

I'd imagine the baseball stadium was cheap to rent, especially since there's really minimal set up other than the ring. 

It looks like the ring's a million miles away from the fans in that photo. Couldn't they have moved it a little closer?

And if they're sold shows, that's one thing, but I can't imagine a 6,000-seat baseball stadium being as cheap to rent as a 500-seat gym. I still think some shows on this tour get moved to smaller places with the ol' "we wanted to bring you, the fans, a more intimate experience" line.

Pardon the term, but how minor league does 300 in a much bigger baseball stadium look? Did someone think they'd even draw in the four digits?

From Meltzer today

While details are still sketchy of everything regarding the Jeff Jarrett deal with TNA, the deal will include some form of TNA participation on the 7/24 GFW TV tapings in Las Vegas.

Magnus is believed to be booked on that show and there may be others.

It looks like the ring's a million miles away from the fans in that photo. Couldn't they have moved it a little closer?

Wow.  I just saw that picture.  The two times I went to wrestling shows at baseball stadiums, when WWE used to come to Frederick MD during the Summer, they put the ring on the pitcher's mound and absolutely sold floor seats (ground seats?).  Here's a pic of one of those shows that I found online:

126.jpg

Having the ring as far away from fans as GFW did, with that wide open expanse of nothing, is just bizarre and it had to feel weird for the wrestlers and the fans.

From Meltzer today

While details are still sketchy of everything regarding the Jeff Jarrett deal with TNA, the deal will include some form of TNA participation on the 7/24 GFW TV tapings in Las Vegas.

Magnus is believed to be booked on that show and there may be others.

Imagine the dream matches.  I hope they book Tyrus vs George T Murdoch.  

• Like 2

They just officially announced the Magnus signing

Former TNA World Heavyweight Champion and UK superstar, Nick Aldis, formerly known as Magnus at TNA Wrestling, has signed on with Global Force Wrestling and will be part of their next GFW Grand Slam Tour live events on July 9 in Wisconsin, July 10 in Pennsylvania, and July 11 in Ohio. He will also be headlining the first ever world television taping on July 24th, in Las Vegas.

“I’m ready to explore opportunities as a free agent that haven’t been open to me before. Jeff Jarrett has been instrumental in my career development and I have always respected him as a performer and promoter. As soon as I heard about GFW I knew that one way or another I would play a part. I’m very excited about that.,” said Aldis.

GFW Founder and CEO could not be happier that Magnus has decided to join the force. “Nick is one of the brightest stars in professional wrestling today and I could not be more excited to have him front and center promoting GFW. His star power in the UK will help give Global Force Wrestling the brand exposure we are looking for.”

Aldis also appeared on the United Kingdom revival of Gladiators, where he was known by the name Oblivion.

“Aldis star power transcends pro wrestling and he is someone that we have had our eye on for months,” said Karen Jarrett Co Founder of Global Force Wrestling.