DVDVR Message Board

The Big Game, v.49

Dolfan in NYC

This isn't meant as an insult as you guys are generally good people.  But I have a hard time accepting a win in situations like that, whether it's my team or not.  Maybe that's just me.

It must be miserable being a fan that can't even enjoy wins.

This isn't meant as an insult as you guys are generally good people. But I have a hard time accepting a win in situations like that, whether it's my team or not. Maybe that's just me.

I don't understand that mindset at all. The reason that play didn't work is because New England was prepared. They saw the personnel, recalled that stuff from their film work, and knew what was coming. The slot corner beat his guy (Kearse), keeping him from setting the pick he was supposed to perform on that play. Malcolm Butler beat his guy (Lockette) to get to the ball and make the pick. As a Patriots fan (they're my #2 team), I'm somehow supposed to not accept the win because it was a bad play call? Even though my guys WON the play? That's just...I don't even know what.

As for Pete Carroll and his whole "man, isn't he a swell guy for explaining himself to Ed Werder" routine:

Let's examine that explanation. Pete says (paraphrasing here), "well, we threw the ball there because they had their goal line package in and we didn't want to waste a run against that package". Never mind that the reason that that matchup happened at all is because Seattle ran their 3-WR package onto the field. They decided before ever looking at the personnel matchups that they wanted to throw there. So let's not pretend Pete is being honest with his "well, we threw because of the personnel packages on the field". Seattle intended all along to throw there.

Cris Carter last night during the postgame was just abysmal.

Paraphrasing here:

"So guys, where does Tom Brady rank in terms of all-time QBs"

Cris: Well, we HOFers don't rank each other.

[/barf]

"So guys, how does this win impact Bill's legacy"

Cris: Deflategate! If they won because they bent the rules, it hurts him!

Trent: well, they're not the only ones to bend the rules

Cris: I don't know that (this one is an actual quote)

Trent: WTF? YOU DON'T KNOW TEAMS BEND THE RULES? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? WHAT ABOUT ALL THOSE TEAMS WHO PUT GUYS ON I-R TO AVOID SALARY CAP ISSUES?

Cris: well, we'll agree to disagree

Watching Trent's head explode at Carter's stupidity was awesome. Carter is so hellbent on trashing Belichick and Brady for deflategate, he's just...delusional. He even basically said "I've caught a lot of footballs so I know it would make a difference" to refute a point Dilfer made, as if Dilfer hasn't handled roughly 50 billion times as many footballs in his life as Carter.

• Like 1

Carroll said "I expected him to take a time out."  Belichick is the one who got away with a massive mistake because his corner:

• saw the package
  • guessed correctly
  • sprinted at top speed
  • got around the screen
  • lowered his shoulder
  • made a once in a lifetime play.  

The play call itself is supposed to be an absolutely safe call.  That ball is supposed to be in the air for 1 second, tops. And you're supposed to be able to trust any WR wearing your uniform to be able to make a 1 yard catch. 

If Butler is a tenth of a second behind, we'd all be talking about why Belichick didn't take a time out with 50 seconds and had to try to score with less than 20. 

NOTE -- All this said.... I absolutely disagree with the call.  You pay Marshawn Lynch millions of dollars to run the stupid ball. Give him the ball and let him get you one yard. 

• Like 2

Belichick made the right call in my view. He knew Seattle would probably score on the next play so he wanted to save two timeouts and allow Brady to work the middle of the field to get into position for a field goal.

Carroll signed off on a terrible call and Wilson threw to a spot. Both of them messed up completely.

If you are conceding the score, then why on earth do you not call a time out with :52 to go?  Do you expect your opponent not to run down the clock? 

Here's 538 explaining it better than I ever could:  http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/a-head-coach-botched-the-end-of-the-super-bowl-and-it-wasnt-pete-carroll/

If you throw a ball 20 yards over the middle of the field, it's probably going to take you 20 seconds to get up to the line and spike it. I'm not sure what the difference is between having 50 seconds and one timeout and 25 seconds and two timeouts. I don't think it's a big deal. Seattle had everything going in their favor and they screwed it up beyond anything we've ever seen.

Belichick made the right call in my view. He knew Seattle would probably score on the next play so he wanted to save two timeouts and allow Brady to work the middle of the field to get into position for a field goal.

Carroll signed off on a terrible call and Wilson threw to a spot. Both of them messed up completely.

I honestly believe that they would have let Lynch score if they would have run it.  The Patriots were saving their timeouts so they could try to march down the field for the last second win.  They decided to run a pass that they run so much even an undrafted rookie knew exactly what they were running as soon as their offense lined up.  If he doesn't intercept that ball there is chance that he is a goat for giving them the opportunity to run more time off the clock.  The odds of the Patriots stopping Marshawn Lynch from gaining less than a yard in that situation are slim to none, and to not even try to punch it in is stupid.  The Seahawks are committed to the run like no other team, but they decided to pass when their season was on the line.  The last 2 minutes of that game was the most entertaining, improbable, sequence of football I've ever watched.  It was amazing, but sheesh just run the damn ball.

So this dumbheaded theory that I'm sure ya'll are aware of is going around that they didn't wanna give Marshawn the ball because he'd win the MVP, driving his price up further and being the (worst possible) face of the team. There are a few things I take from this nonsense.

1. VKM owns the Seahawks?

2. Russell Wilson is John Cena?

3. People are crazy.

4 and most importantly: in what world would someone do that? Seriously. You wanna get your QB his record setting touchdown on Madden? Fine. But in real life? C'mon. Who's that dumb and in the Super Bowl? I don't think much of Bevell but c'mon. And I've heard some of the professional talking heads espousing this opinion! 

From the five thirty eight link.  This is what I was thinking.  You have to pass on either second or third down in order to give yourself three chances at scoring the touchdown.

With 26 seconds left and only one timeout, the Seahawks couldn’t run Lynch three times in a row. If they rushed on second down, didn’t make it in, called timeout, rushed again, and still didn’t make it in, they’d probably be out of time before they could get off another play. So, the Seahawks had three downs to work with, but they could only run Lynch twice at most.

I don't see any big fuck ups on that play. Carroll saw goalline D and thought quick pass and then if that doesn't work run on 3rd down and if that doesn't work whatever on 4th. The passing call was a little over thinking it but not so egregious that oh my god Carroll sucks for calling that play(when Butler made the great play.) 

Yes, they have Lynch and should have trusted him but Carroll over thought the situation and probably was going to run a read option until he saw the goalline set. When he saw that and figured man d, he called a quick slant/pick that should work on man defense but Butler made an unreal play.

Wasn't even a bad pass by Wilson just a great great play by Butler. That is what is getting overlooked in this situation, Butler made an unreal play.

From the five thirty eight link.  This is what I was thinking.  You have to pass on either second or third down in order to give yourself three chances at scoring the touchdown.

That doesn't really hold up to me because they blew so much time between 1st and 2nd down.  They could have run 4 times if they were quicker to the line.

Expecting Bill to call a timeout is what threw off the clock management.  It was a sort of crazy move by Bill, but it really did put the pressure back on the Seattle coaching staff and they choked.

The playcall was just bizarre. You have one yard to go, and you line up in shotgun, and don't even fake it to Lynch? If the playcall was shotgun option draw to Lynch, with Wilson being able to pull the ball and throw it/run around the corner if he saw something he liked, that makes a hell of a lot more sense. Hell, even with the play as called, Lynch had a linebacker dead to rights one-on-one at the left side of the formation.

New England is terrible in short yardage running plays.

Shhhh, don't mention that. I think we may have gotten away with it!

I have no doubt that Big Vince would have pushed the entire Seattle line back onto Lynch by himself had they run. No doubt at all.

Even if you want to pass (nobody in their right mind would), you don't pass into the middle of the field. You have Russ. You use his legs and try to get a guy in the corner of the end zone. If it isn't there, he either runs himself or throws it out the back of the end zone.  Just terrible all around.

That is what I thought so to with Wilson back there you run a two read bootleg play and if either man is covered have Wilson throw it away or try to make a play with his legs. Still though Butler rolled around the pick and made an unbelievable play. 

Cris Carter last night during the postgame was just abysmal.

Paraphrasing here:

"So guys, where does Tom Brady rank in terms of all-time QBs"

Cris: Well, we HOFers don't rank each other.

[/barf]

"So guys, how does this win impact Bill's legacy"

Cris: Deflategate! If they won because they bent the rules, it hurts him!

Trent: well, they're not the only ones to bend the rules

Cris: I don't know that (this one is an actual quote)

Trent: WTF? YOU DON'T KNOW TEAMS BEND THE RULES? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? WHAT ABOUT ALL THOSE TEAMS WHO PUT GUYS ON I-R TO AVOID SALARY CAP ISSUES?

Cris: well, we'll agree to disagree

Watching Trent's head explode at Carter's stupidity was awesome. Carter is so hellbent on trashing Belichick and Brady for deflategate, he's just...delusional. He even basically said "I've caught a lot of footballs so I know it would make a difference" to refute a point Dilfer made, as if Dilfer hasn't handled roughly 50 billion times as many footballs in his life as Carter.

Yeah Cris Carter has been this terrible the whole season and it gets worst when Keyshawn also talks about the same subject then it's on another level of abysmal sports commentary.