DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble 2015

Matt D

There's a rumor going around on Twitter and Reddit that the fans at the arena are blocking the talents' cars from leaving the arena.

Didn't jericho deck someone for that?

Yeah, it was awesome.

Imagine doing it and Lesnar pulls out

it was a good idea until Brock Lesnar tossed a car at the crowd

• Like 2

I for one, am happy they're pushing someone not named Batista/Cena/Orton. This is the WWE, a company that historically has pushed talent down our throat. Reigns has been in the WWE for a year and a half. Let's see how next couple of weeks leading up till 'Mania go before we write this guy off as a bust.

Have you been in a coma since the Shield split up? You're supposed to get better as time goes on, not worse. He wasn't wrote off by anyone until they exposed his weaknesses and acted like we weren't supposed to notice that he can't work a proper singles match, or give a decent interview (except on Smackdown, where they can edit around it).

• Like 1

What was amazing about the crowd after Daniel Bryan was eliminated was how they were willing to latch on to a couple more people in vain. It almost felt like this entire year condensed into 20-30 minutes. DANIEL BRYAN'S OUT....ummmmmm DEAN AMBROSE LET'S GOOOOOOOO....DOLPH ZIGGLER? LET'S GOOOOOOOOO....CESARO? Oh man...remember Cesaro you guys? Fuck it... RUSEV LET'S GOoOOOOOOO!.

The audience wants to chose their hero, they don't want one forced upon them. Shit they were even willing to back up muscle head Ryback over workrate guys. They just want to be the one's deciding.

• Like 4

I see some fans around the net saying Bryan fans are ruining WWE, and the fans were terrible for shitting on everything after Bryan's elimination. Is it just me or were Ziggler, Ambrose, Mizdow, and Ryback getting good pops after the elimination?

Maybe people just don't want a forced Reigns mega push.

• Like 1

So what's going to be main event of the next ppv if brocks advertised. Seth cashes in on that or mania?

IMO, this is how it plays out--

A.) Reigns beats Lesnar at WM

B.) Rollins cashes in on Raw against a battle-scarred Reigns and wins the belt

C.) Reigns chases after Rollins until SummerSlam. Possibility of dual turns is strong.

So what's the next ppv rock n reigns v show n kane,setting up cena rusev, then other stuff with ambrose,Bryan,wyatt?

Probably.  It would work.  Cena/Rusev set-up is obvious.  Possibly set up a WM 3-way with the Wyatt Family.  Rock comes around for the next 9 weeks and argues with his supposed friends HHH and Steph over his RR appearance (the Hollywood star  who's not 100% in touch with his wrestling roots vs the best for business long-hauler) while Reigns starts dancing with Lesnar (with a nice helping of Heyman to spice up things) while wrapping things up with Big Show.  Rollins lurks in the shadows, sniping at Heyman here and there, mad at Reigns jumping the line for the championship and plotting.  And of course, Sting lurks even deeper in the shadows where HHH will go looking for him.

It may not be the best booking, but it can pulled off decently.

There's a rumor going around on Twitter and Reddit that the fans at the arena are blocking the talents' cars from leaving the arena.

Didn't jericho deck someone for that?

Yeah, it was awesome.

Imagine doing it and Lesnar pulls out

"Good day, Mr. Lesnar. Go right on through, Mr. Lesnar. Would you be so kind as to give me back my spine, Mr. Lesnar"....

I see some fans around the net saying Bryan fans are ruining WWE, and the fans were terrible for shitting on everything after Bryan's elimination.

The thing that annoys me the most is that I can see this as Vince's reaction...getting mad at Bryan for fucking up his perfectly built up booking and hijacking the crowd. 

Dude's doomed.

I for one, am happy they're pushing someone not named Batista/Cena/Orton. This is the WWE, a company that historically has pushed talent down our throat. Reigns has been in the WWE for a year and a half. Let's see how next couple of weeks leading up till 'Mania go before we write this guy off as a bust.

Have you been in a coma since the Shield split up? You're supposed to get better as time goes on, not worse. He wasn't wrote off by anyone until they exposed his weaknesses and acted like we weren't supposed to notice that he can't work a proper singles match, or give a decent interview (except on Smackdown, where they can edit around it).

Well that is complete bullshit. People here started turning on him almost immediately after the Shield break up. And it had nothing to do with exposed weaknesses and was completely about being forced down their throats before he actually was due to the rumors from Meltzer that he was going to be pushed to the moon. This is something many have been gearing up for the last six months now shitting on Reigns even when he does fine.

• Like 1

Does anybody else have the feeling that last year's Rumble match was better than this year's?

Absolutely. I think it's between this year and 1999.

Watching it right now. Will let you know....

Okay, now I'll give my actual and fair review of the show:

1) The triple threat match was amazing. it was incredible. Seth looked like the equal of both Brock and Cena tonight. The Phoenix Splash into Brock's demolition was epic. I also loved Seth knowing he had to put Brock's face on the briefcase to take him out and it backfiring. I'm also glad they didn't do any tomfoolery with cash-ins or the like. I loved they had that tease, but it's better if Brock walked out.

2) Everything else on the pre-RR I completely forget right now. It was just sort of there. But who cares? The Triple Threat was amazing.

3) The Royal Rumble itself had its ups and downs. I really liked Bubba and R-Truth's odd pairing. DDP hitting Diamond Cutter's was fun. Bray getting the World Beater push was great. I liked the Bray/Harper/Rowan stuff. What's so hard to figure out? Rowan said in his pre-match that it's what you do with opportunities. Then Rowan and Harper went to take out their former leader/master. They could have teased a "let's team up!" thing a bit better and played it out some, but it was three men who were aligned now trying to assert themselves. Bray's my favorite wrestler and I love he got the CM Punk "toss everyone out and use the mic" spots.

I do wish his elimination was better, though. It would have been nice to see him stave off Show and Kane for a while.

The Kofi "save" spot was good fun and ties into the recent storyline. I loved that he got saved by the Rosebuds while Rose didn't. Fun.

As far as Bryan losing early goes -- If you're pissed off he lost, than I don't know what to tell you. Sometimes the guys you love the most will lose. It's wrestling. Everyone loses. (Cena's lost the title so many times. He had a mid-card match at last year's WrestleMania.) If you're upset your favorite wrestler lost, that's sort of a mark opinion. I do like that he came in on fire. I wish his elimination was more spectacular, though, beyond just a "dumped off the apron." Something more dramatic would have been more fun.

It's the little details in storytelling that I don't like. It was a surprise like -- "Oh, Bryan just got pushed off!" It wasn't something like Bray Sister Abigailing him to the floor or something.

Or I would have also loved it if they touched on Bray and Bryan's feud last year, when they had their classic.  Bray won and Bryan has revenge on his mind. But, for some reason, Bray always has the advantage over him. Tie it to the universe you create like that.

i wish they gave Ziggler more fun things to do. Or Ambrose.

As far as Reigns -- Yes, I knew the Philly crowd was going to turn on him. But I also think the mass uprising at his expense is ridiculous. The guy is a perfectly fine wrestler. He was an awesome tag wrestler. He's far from the worst dude to ever get a main event push (SEE: Ryback.) His mic work has been flat. I don't think it's nearly as awful as everyone else does. In fact, he only gets like two minutes of mic time per show, usually.

I think he'd be a great heel. He was an awesome shit-talking asshole in The Shield's heel incarnation.

The end, on paper, should work. The remnants of The Shield taking on Rollins' new security force is awesome. Then sneaky commie Rusev tries to steal the match but fails. And like I said -- the story, on paper, should work. The Rock's nephew tries to take out the one man his uncle could never top. Thse are perfectly good stories. It's also a fresh star they're trying to make.

But everyone has it in for Reighs. They've got three months to adjust. We'll see. Also, they definitely have room to turn Reigns heel against conquering hero Lesnar if that's another route they want to go with.

• Like 1

I see some fans around the net saying Bryan fans are ruining WWE, and the fans were terrible for shitting on everything after Bryan's elimination. Is it just me or were Ziggler, Ambrose, Mizdow, and Ryback getting good pops after the elimination?

Maybe people just don't want a forced Reigns mega push.

The pops after Daniel Bryan got eliminated are the same pops Reigns got last year.

What was amazing about the crowd after Daniel Bryan was eliminated was how they were willing to latch on to a couple more people in vain. It almost felt like this entire year condensed into 20-30 minutes. DANIEL BRYAN'S OUT....ummmmmm DEAN AMBROSE LET'S GOOOOOOOO....DOLPH ZIGGLER? LET'S GOOOOOOOOO....CESARO? Oh man...remember Cesaro you guys? Fuck it... RUSEV LET'S GOoOOOOOOO!.

The audience wants to chose their hero, they don't want one forced upon them. Shit they were even willing to back up muscle head Ryback over workrate guys. They just want to be the one's deciding.

The funny thing is, last year Reigns was the one the crowd latched onto as the default fan favorite after it was clear Bryan wasn't going to be in it.

• Like 1

Well that is complete bullshit. People here started turning on him almost immediately after the Shield break up. And it had nothing to do with exposed weaknesses and was completely about being forced down their throats before he actually was due to the rumors from Meltzer that he was going to be pushed to the moon. This is something many have been gearing up for the last six months now shitting on Reigns even when he does fine.

Seriously? You're telling me the ONLY reason people don't like Roman Reigns is because he's being pushed down our throats? I think there's circumstances surrounding it that add to the reason why people don't like him. I'm not saying that's the true sole cause of people turning on Reigns, but it sure doesn't help his case that he can't cut a promo or work a decent match without being carried by a worker superior than him.

I will laugh if this show damages their Network numbers, but I assume the folks cancelling will come back before the fiscal quarter is over. 

As a single viewer, I'm definitely into the company being built around Bryan in the short-term, but I also have to admit that there's a meta-issue here where I am also into the company being financially harmed just for deliberately going out of their way to troll/ignore their own fanbase to a fairly significant degree. As someone noted, they scorched the earth on the PPV model and need the Network to be successful to some degree. 

However, I'm also guessing that most people who cancel are fickle and will be back. 

The amount of time the announcers spent on Kane and Big Show's useless "all-time eliminations" records just boggle the mind. Like, WHO GIVES A FUCK?!

Yeah, it all comes off as MMath. Which is bullshit. WWE needs to REALLY stay away from the Royal Rumble by-the-numbers bit as it comes off as completely markish. The number 28th spot won The Rumble twice- so if next year its Fandango in the spot, am I suppose to believe he can take it?

I don't get into star ratings but I'd give the triple threat five stars. It was sooo fucking awesome. Rollins has it, my lord.. Brock and Cena were awesome as expected. I actually really want to see Cena vs. Rusev even though Cena is a lock to win. It's going to be a great match. 

Agree with most everyone that the second half of the Rumble sucked. I was way into it with Bubba coming out. Truth playing the role of D-Von has us dead. Bubba squaring off with Harper was great. I'd love to see them brawl it out for 20 minutes. DDP was cool. Everything after Bryan being dumped over was an abomination. Jobber after jobber. Kane and Big Show. Nobody but Reigns having a chance. Total suck.

No, Rock co-signing Reigns didn't help because everyone is tired of these handpicked WWE in-house projects. I don't even hate Reigns like that but Ray Charles can see that he isn't ready for primetime.  Lesnar will try to get something out of the match but it'll be a mess.  Orton returning and winning the Rumble would have been a hundred times better than this. Obviously Bryan is the only one who really should have won it but here we are.. it's 2015... Vince still doesn't get it and won't.  Somewhere along the way he stopped wanting to make money.

I will laugh if this show damages their Network numbers, but I assume the folks cancelling will come back before the fiscal quarter is over. 

As a single viewer, I'm definitely into the company being built around Bryan in the short-term, but I also have to admit that there's a meta-issue here where I am also into the company being financially harmed just for deliberately going out of their way to troll/ignore their own fanbase to a fairly significant degree. As someone noted, they scorched the earth on the PPV model and need the Network to be successful to some degree. 

However, I'm also guessing that most people who cancel are fickle and will be back.

If the Sky Sports schmozz had sent NXT to the same dungeon it sent Main Event to, I'd have already cancelled (website permitting).