DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble 2015

Matt D

Brock/Reigns should be epic if for no other reason than the crowd reaction.

Smark crowd will obviously shit on Reigns, and by then we should know pretty definitively if Lesnar is leaving or not.  If so, I expect a match full of booing and Daniel Bryan/random chants. If he's staying, he will be the clear babyface in the match.

If Brock is leaving, we probably get Reigns becoming a Paul Heyman guy to cover for Roman's lack of ability on the mic. I hope that's not the case. I don't want Brock Lesnar to ever leave because he's the only thing this company can't fuck up.

Look, if you throw away whatever hatred you have for Roman, we had this:

1) The Final Four was The Corporate Oldhead Goons vs. The Remnants of The Shield. (And the breakup of The Shield was more-or-less the story from a little after last WrestleMania). The powerhouse of The Shield beat The Corporation, just like he beat so many others in his short tenure.

To get to this:

2) Now to become the man, he has to beat the man his legendary uncle couldn't topple at the biggest stage of them all.

Narratively, there's nothing wrong with that. It's actually a really well-built, well thought-out story arc that's been in the works for a really long time.

I don't see the problem in that. At all.

The problem is that everyone hates Reigns. And that's fine. He got booed out of the building. He's "not ready" for his push. His uncle wasn't ready for his push, either, and ended up as the biggest star in wrestling history. I'm not saying Roman's on that trajectory, but he's one Superman punch to his uncle or -- even better -- one spear to Daniel Bryan away from being the biggest heel in years.

The thing is for me that all these things you point out are there in that they are all true statements about these guys, and you can meld them into a narrative if you try.  But I don't think that they are actually "there" in the sense that the story they actually are telling does not flow from these things and doesn't really do much to remind us of them. 

Like, they mentioned the Shield when Roman and Dean were in there.  But it was a bit of historical trivia.  There is no chemistry left for real between them, nor tension, nor any reason to call that part of a narrative.  Their characters have been reduced to "pretty guy who is cool" and "Weird guy who dumps mustard on people and loses."  Anything else has to be projected into it by the viewer with a lot of effort and patience.  That's usually not a good recipe for holding an audience.

And the family vengeance on Brock thing.  All true.  But it's...well is there something less visible and real that "subtext"?  Supersubcutaneous text?  You can enjoy that story.  But it's not really "there" for anyone else and they aren't going to put one bit of thought or effort into making it real.

• Like 9

Brock/Reigns should be epic if for no other reason than the crowd reaction.

Smark crowd will obviously shit on Reigns, and by then we should know pretty definitively if Lesnar is leaving or not.  If so, I expect a match full of booing and Daniel Bryan/random chants. If he's staying, he will be the clear babyface in the match.

If Brock is leaving, we probably get Reigns becoming a Paul Heyman guy to cover for Roman's lack of ability on the mic. I hope that's not the case. I don't want Brock Lesnar to ever leave because he's the only thing this company can't fuck up.

Cena over Brock when he first came back and two HHH matches prove you wrong there.

The pre-show match was good. The New Day is lame, but so far they have put together some fun matches for 2015. I think the New Day/Cesaro & Kidd match has to go on the WWE 2015 list thus far as does the main event. As the year goes on the pre-show match might lose a ton of lust, but fuck. If you didn't like the main event- WWE just isn't for you (and probably pro wrestling in a large sense).

What can be said about the Royal Rumble? WWE purposely shit the bed with the Bryan elimination happening so soon. Reigns came out of that Rumble looking like a complete dick and looking undeserving. Rock serving as Reigns' deus ex machina was not a good thing. Jesus-Tap-Dancing-Christ-On-All-Wheat-Bread WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT ENDING? FUCK!

And the family vengeance on Brock thing.  All true.  But it's...well is there something less visible and real that "subtext"?  Supersubcutaneous text?  You can enjoy that story.  But it's not really "there" for anyone else and they aren't going to put one bit of thought or effort into making it real.

For fucks sake, that Brock/Rock match was 13 years ago. That's like Old Testament times in WWE years.

• Like 2

Is this a serious question?

"Well-built" is not synonymous with "telegraphed with zero subtlety".  There is a distinct difference between a logical progression of a story that includes a few kinks and twists along the way to make one second-guess their own instincts and enjoy the ride to the climax, and one that is so obvious that there's no point in finishing because you already know what's going to happen.

And even if the narrative progression is good, no one cares if they don't enjoy the players. 

Roman Reigns being in the middle of this storyline instead of Daniel Bryan is kinda like replacing Daniel Day-Lewis with Pauly Shore in There Will Be Blood.

• Like 1

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH LETTING THE GUY EVERYONE IS CHEERING FOR WIN UNTIL THEY STOP CHEERING FOR HIM?

Oh, piranesi. You and your logic

You probably think the world is round, too, when all us sane folks know it's flat....

• Like 2

On the "anything but the Rumble match" front:

A friend asked me what Cesaro, Tyson Kidd, and Adam Rose were all doing together. Me: "They're all white." Him: "..." Me: "It's not like New Day have any more coherent a reason." Him: "I can't even argue with that."

Said friend at the end of the Ascension/NAO tag: "Did they fuck up their finish." Me: "Yeah, but they always do a little bit."

Oh hell I don't even care.

• Like 2

So what's going to be main event of the next ppv if brocks advertised. Seth cashes in on that or mania?

IMO, this is how it plays out--

A.) Reigns beats Lesnar at WM

B.) Rollins cashes in on Raw against a battle-scarred Reigns and wins the belt

C.) Reigns chases after Rollins until SummerSlam.  Possibility of dual turns is strong.

• Like 1

For all of WWE's faults, the people in charge aren't dumb or deaf. It's clear they knew they would get a reaction like this which is why they had Bryan eliminated early, in a vain hope that they could win the crowd back as the rumble went along. It failed, just like anyone with half a brain could have guessed.

My question is this: if you know this will be the reaction, why not just put Bryan in the title match and make it a four way? You can still have him jump through the same hoops and he doesn't have to be involved in the finish at all. If they had done that, I actually think the Rumble would have gone over pretty well. As it stands, it comes across as completely tone deaf.

For what it's worth, I thought Wyatt was really great and carried the first half of the match, and I think Ambrose is the only person to benefit from the Bryan thing because I think with a normal crowd his pop doesn't stand out nearly as much.

I'm still gonna watch Raw, I'm still gonna watch Mania. He's a good man, officer, he works hard and I know he loves me.....

• Like 1

Test's corpse winning would have been a better finish to the Rumble than what we got.

Zombie Test feasting on Big Show and Kane would keep me renewing my network subscription again and again and again.

Screw that, bring back Vampire Test, with Ariel and their theme music.

I'm no expert, but having the guys you like never experiencing adversity is a shitty way to book things. And acting like having someone lose a single match is "fucking them up" isn't much better.

On checking the family tree. The SST were cousins of Roman Reigns. So, have Heyman teasing that he's going over to Rollins, turn Rollins face and Reigns heel. Then give Rollins and Reigns better finishers than a double-stomp and a spear.