DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble 2015

Matt D

Why the Ascension has the little guy throwing a shitty back elbow and the big guy doing the leg sweep when the big guy should obviously be doing a lariat and the little guy should be doing the leg sweep is beyond me. 

• Like 1

Look, if you throw away whatever hatred you have for Roman, we had this:

1) The Final Four was The Corporate Oldhead Goons vs. The Remnants of The Shield. (And the breakup of The Shield was more-or-less the story from a little after last WrestleMania). The powerhouse of The Shield beat The Corporation, just like he beat so many others in his short tenure.

To get to this:

2) Now to become the man, he has to beat the man his legendary uncle couldn't topple at the biggest stage of them all.

Narratively, there's nothing wrong with that. It's actually a really well-built, well thought-out story arc that's been in the works for a really long time.

I don't see the problem in that. At all.

The problem is that everyone hates Reigns. And that's fine. He got booed out of the building. He's "not ready" for his push. His uncle wasn't ready for his push, either, and ended up as the biggest star in wrestling history. I'm not saying Roman's on that trajectory, but he's one Superman punch to his uncle or -- even better -- one spear to Daniel Bryan away from being the biggest heel in years.

The thing is for me that all these things you point out are there in that they are all true statements about these guys, and you can meld them into a narrative if you try.  But I don't think that they are actually "there" in the sense that the story they actually are telling does not flow from these things and doesn't really do much to remind us of them. 

Like, they mentioned the Shield when Roman and Dean were in there.  But it was a bit of historical trivia.  There is no chemistry left for real between them, nor tension, nor any reason to call that part of a narrative.  Their characters have been reduced to "pretty guy who is cool" and "Weird guy who dumps mustard on people and loses."  Anything else has to be projected into it by the viewer with a lot of effort and patience.  That's usually not a good recipe for holding an audience.

And the family vengeance on Brock thing.  All true.  But it's...well is there something less visible and real that "subtext"?  Supersubcutaneous text?  You can enjoy that story.  But it's not really "there" for anyone else and they aren't going to put one bit of thought or effort into making it real.

Winner winner chicken dinner. This my favorite piranesi post. 

So what's going to be main event of the next ppv if brocks advertised. Seth cashes in on that or mania?

IMO, this is how it plays out--

A.) Reigns beats Lesnar at WM

B.) Rollins cashes in on Raw against a battle-scarred Reigns and wins the belt

C.) Reigns chases after Rollins until SummerSlam. Possibility of dual turns is strong.

So what's the next ppv rock n reigns v show n kane,setting up cena rusev, then other stuff with ambrose,Bryan,wyatt?

For all of WWE's faults, the people in charge aren't dumb or deaf. It's clear they knew they would get a reaction like this which is why they had Bryan eliminated early, in a vain hope that they could win the crowd back as the rumble went along. It failed, just like anyone with half a brain could have guessed.

I was thinking that, but then the people they had come in right after he was thrown out were so lame, it was like guaranteed to keep the crowd fuming with nothing th distract them.  Wasn't it, like Big E. right arfter and then they had a chance with Mzidow, but they kind of fucked that up real quick.  And then Swags????

People were just stewing by that point.

My question is this: if you know this will be the reaction, why not just put Bryan in the title match and make it a four way? You can still have him jump through the same hoops and he doesn't have to be involved in the finish at all. If they had done that, I actually think the Rumble would have gone over pretty well. As it stands, it comes across as completely tone deaf.

no. Because they would have spent the entire Rumble pouting if Bryan didn't win the Title. You'd need to put the Rumble on first in that scenario.

Look, if you throw away whatever hatred you have for Roman, we had this:

1) The Final Four was The Corporate Oldhead Goons vs. The Remnants of The Shield. (And the breakup of The Shield was more-or-less the story from a little after last WrestleMania). The powerhouse of The Shield beat The Corporation, just like he beat so many others in his short tenure.

To get to this:

2) Now to become the man, he has to beat the man his legendary uncle couldn't topple at the biggest stage of them all.

Narratively, there's nothing wrong with that. It's actually a really well-built, well thought-out story arc that's been in the works for a really long time.

The problem is that everyone hates Reigns. And that's fine. He got booed out of the building. He's "not ready" for his push. His uncle wasn't ready for his push, either, and ended up as the biggest star in wrestling history. I'm not saying Roman's on that trajectory, but he's one Superman punch to his uncle or -- even better -- one spear to Daniel Bryan away from being the biggest heel in years.

1. The ring has been the most important part of pro wrestling for over a century.

2. Vince McMahon has hated wrestling fans ever since buying the WWF 35 years ago. This has been heavily established both on WWE TV and outside interviews.

3. So when Vince McMahon dropped his pants and literally took a shit in the middle of the ring at Wrestlemania 31, it was the culmination of 35 years of booking, combining both storyline and shoot elements and included over 100 years of history. 

- Greggulator in the future
  • Like 8

For the record, Rock isn't actually related to Reigns. That blood brother shit doesn't count. Do you even genetics?

Uhm, yes they are. They're cousins.

Not in the genetic sense. Peter Maivia was blood brothers with Amituanai Anoa'i. That's the only connection the two families have.

I for one, am happy they're pushing someone not named Batista/Cena/Orton. This is the WWE, a company that historically has pushed talent down our throat. Reigns has been in the WWE for a year and a half. Let's see how next couple of weeks leading up till 'Mania go before we write this guy off as a bust.

• Like 1