DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

3) The Young Ones

I didn't like it. I know a lot of people used to love this show too, but they themselves don't think it holds up that well today.

Speaking of, I did love Bottom though and it's pretty much down a similar line of comedy.

7) Arrested Development

Another great choice. I would probably have it ranked around at #7 too.

9) The Simpsons

I never understood all the love this gets although I've never paid much attention to it either honestly. It's just not something that seems it'd interest me.

Father Ted

Black Books

I never understood the love these 2 shows got either. I watched Black Books in it's entirety and I didn't really dig it.

I've watched a couple of episodes of Father Ted and didn't find it that funny or entertaining.

Of the Graham Linehan sitcoms I've watched, the one I dug the most was the IT Crowd and it's not a sitcom I'd rank in my top 10.

I'm Alan Partridge

Another great choice and one I love, but probably wouldn't make my top 10 either.

Knowing You, Knowing Me with Alan Partridge was great too. Sadly it was really short though, but I guess you can tie it in with I'm Alan Partridge as they pretty much go hand to hand.

Spaced

This is another sitcom I need to give another chance. I've heard it being considered one of the best of all time, but I've just never came around to give it a real chance.

My top 10 would probably be:

1. Curb Your Enthusiasm

2. Seinfeld

3. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

4. South Park

5. The Office

6. Fawlty Towers

7. Arrested Development

8. Parks and Recreation

9. Not Going Out

10. Only Fools and Horses

Frasier is my clearcut unquestionable number one, after that it gets much, much harder. It would likely have, in some order, the following to round out the top 10

Golden Girls

Cheers

Seinfeld

Sports Night

Martin

Living Single

The Simpsons

The Critic

The Bob Newhart Show

• Like 1

I gave particular weight to shows that I loved straight through.  So, even though very little comes close to Seasons 3-7 or so of The Simpsons, I couldn't bring myself to rate a show where there are more seasons I genuinely dislike than seasons I like.  

12. Veep

11. Mission Hill

10. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

09. Clone High:

08. Arrested Development

07. Father Ted

06. Curb Your Enthusiasm

05. The Office [uK]

04. The Larry Sanders Show

03. I'm Alan Partridge

02. Fawlty Towers

01. Seinfeld

Broadchurch destroyed me. Those last 15 minutes were so hard to watch. So many tears. After it was over, I felt like waking my daughter up to give her a big hug.

I texted my daughter at two on the morning to tell her I love her.  That is how soul crushing and awesome that Broadchurch is.

On a far lighter note.  SEASON PREMIER OF SIRENS IS TOMORROW NIGHT ON USA~!

I gave particular weight to shows that I loved straight through.  So, even though very little comes close to Seasons 3-7 or so of The Simpsons, I couldn't bring myself to rate a show where there are more seasons I genuinely dislike than seasons I like.  

12. Veep

11. Mission Hill

10. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

09. Clone High:

08. Arrested Development

07. Father Ted

06. Curb Your Enthusiasm

05. The Office [uK]

04. The Larry Sanders Show

03. I'm Alan Partridge

02. Fawlty Towers

01. Seinfeld

Totally forgot about Veep and The Thick of it.  They are both up there, and Malcolm Tucker is probably my favorite character of all time. . . 

I've seen a few episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm. It's undoubtedly very funny, but it does seem be just one joke. As opposed to Arrested Development, Bob's Burgers  or The Simpsons which work on a few different levels.

Not to mention, Cheryl is just a terribly written character.  This is the same guy who gave us Elaine?

I decided to start finishing Entourage (I quit somewhere in Season 6) by just restarting season six since it's something that I can knock out as I have 20-30 minutes to spare on a lunch-break. I am three episodes back into my restart of the season, and it reminded me just how bad this show was getting towards the end. It's still light, superficial fun but I find myself shaking my head and rolling my eyes with it now.

Although, I am sure some of that is maturing from watching the show at 21-22 to now being 28 in two weeks.

I've seen a few episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm. It's undoubtedly very funny, but it does seem be just one joke. As opposed to Arrested Development, Bob's Burgers  or The Simpsons which work on a few different levels.

Not to mention, Cheryl is just a terribly written character.  This is the same guy who gave us Elaine?

This isn't really a character you can get a handle on from watching a "few episodes".  For instance, the Cheryl of the first two seasons, is very different from the Cheryl of later seasons. Realistically, I don't think it's unfair to suggest that Cheryl's arc on the show mirrored that of Larry's real-life wife.  In the first few seasons, she gets exasperated with Larry but is very much on his side and will even joke along with him (The episode where they play poker as part of a couples' poker night and he calls a guy the c-word and everyone basically throws him out and him and Cheryl are in the car afterwards and he says "I can't believe that guy called me a misogynist" and Cheryl says "Maybe you are" and they proceed to play a little game they call abused housewife where Larry pretends to hit her and Cheryl goes "No Larry No!" (which, of course, leads to further problems) is a perfect example of their relationship where Cheryl goes from annoyed with him to playing along with his jokes, as a wife of a person like Larry would have to be).  Then through the middle seasons, Cheryl becomes more of a Hollywood wife, who's not really on his side, and has a variety of outside interests and is butting heads with him.  Then there's the season where she leaves him, and becomes more of a typical actress, at least as Larry sees her, and she's not nearly as understanding, and a lot more shallow which coincides with when Larry's real wife left him.

Really, CYE is a lot like the arc of Seinfeld.  The first few seasons are obviously exaggerated versions of reality, but basically watching the guy who created Seinfeld go through his life, no big plotlines or revelations, dealing with the minutiae of everyday life and love.  As the series moves along, it starts to really exaggerate things (Larry on Broadway! Larry buys a restaurant!) then over the last few years it's just genuine craziness (Larry dating Xena: Warrior Princess! Larry brings back Seinfeld! Larry eating at a Palestinian chicken restaurant!) and it's not really based in reality whatsoever.  The same with Seinfeld, it started out as a show about nothing (Pretending to be married to get a discount at the dry-cleaners), moved into the more exaggerated (George working for the Yankees) and then into complete insanity (George killing his wife, the absolute lunacy of the Puerto Rican Day parade).

I think Sirens is funny. It's probably the most vulgar program that has ever aired on a basic cable station.

Last season was phenomenal.  Wasn't terribly impressed with the season premier eps.

Don't ask me why but I'm watching an episode of T.J. HOOKER right now.  Heather Locklear has to go undercover at a tennis club, which of course means she is sunbathing next to the "tennis pool."

Who should saunter up to introduce herself but CORINNE BOHRER!!!!

To summarize: Corinne Bohrer and Heather Locklear are sunbathing on my television.  I am really sort of shaken by this.  I could not have anticipated the effect.  Who could?  I mean, no one tested for this scenario because it was only theoretical.

This is 1983, very early Bohrer, four years before POLICE ACADEMY, which means she had recently finished filming ZAPPED! with Scott baio and the short lived MAKING THE GRADE t.v. series.  Yes, there was a t.v. series called MAKING THE GRADE. No it was not based on the amazing movie of the same name.  But it did start George Wendt in his first ever role ...aaaaaand she's been murdered GODAMN YOU HOOKER!!! YOU HAD ONE JOB!! KEEP CORINNE BOHRER IN THE EPISODE FOR AS LONG AND IN AS MANY DIFFERENT OUTFITS AS POSSIBLE!!!

Somehow a car just managed to crash into a boat and explode and I just don't care anymore.

The episode also has one of the great staples of 80s cops shows.  An tired, angry black Lieutenant who yells at the main character for not following orders and has an ulcer.  Looking him up I find that over the course of the decade, this same actor played the following parts:

- Lt. Detective Barnes

- Lt. Franks

- Lt. Jesse Herman

- Lt. Ed Brock

- Det. Sgt. Frank Garriman

- Sgt. Clifford Brock

- Lt. Frank Daniels

And he yelled at Hunter, TJ Hooker, Hardcastle and/or McKormick, Jake and/or The Fatman, Harry Callahan!!, and Perry Mason among others.

Also note, this is while Corinne Bohrer was still in the shell of a human and well before she ascended to immortality and sired Wendy's Lady. Just so we're clear on the timeline.

• Like 3

Titus was incredible for the time. Remember, they were still dumb and canceling Family Guy, which meant that the reason Titus got cancelled after three seasons was because they had their heads up their collective asses. (That reason being an unaired episode on a child molester coming back into his family's life.) Titus himself said he was really hoping to get to 100 episodes for syndication rights, but it never got there. Total shame. The DVDs are now pretty rare (Going for anywhere from $70-$100 on Amazon) but they can be found on YouTube easily.

Frasier really is tremendous, but I'll have to see if I like it more than Cheers. As great as Seinfeld was, Cheers was really the perfect sitcom. I loved Frasier for the timing and the intelligence of some of the jokes, but Cheers in its heyday is the best sitcom I've ever seen.

Parks and Rec, Archer, Broad City, all have been good. I'm happy to hear good things about Sirens. Will have to check that out.