DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

With the way the show left things, I think they could very easily minimize Kiefer's presence without creating a major "It's not 24 without Jack!" backlash.

Maybe they could take a mulligan on the Jack-captured-by-China storyline that they bungled years ago.

I would watch a 24 with Yvonne Strahovski. Of course, I would watch Yvonne Strahovski reading a phone book.

I'm also up for a limited run series of X-Files although that last movie was indescribably awful. Based on that and his output since X-Files (or lack thereof), I'm starting to think Carter may have originated the concept but guys like Vince Gilligan are what made it so brilliant.

I guess I'm the only one here who didn't dig the It's Always Sunny season 10 premier episode that much.

I did love the Workaholics and Broad City season premier episodes though.

Amazon just dropped a bunch of new pilots, including an adaptation of THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE. Figured there might be some interest in that.

Hey, this was pretty good. Kinda slow and spends most of its time setting up plot that we may never see followed up on if it doesn't get enough up votes, or however Amazon scores this stuff, but I would watch another episode or two, if they ever get made. There's potential there.

Been a while since I read the book, but I feel like there were some substantial changes, The Grasshopper Lies Heavy being a newsreel instead of a novel being the most substantial (but understandable).

Yeah, it was pretty outstanding. It certainly seems like it has the buzz to get enough votes to get it to continue. I'm probably going to have to get the book at some point.

Haven't bothered watching any of the other pilots on Amazon Prime yet. Not sure if I will. Haven't heard a lot about any of them.

The procedural formula itself has never been bad...but at time when TV it going through a golden age....it's, like, yeah, is anyone supposed to care about good looking people in suits solving a generic crime every week?

Part of Psych's appeal was that it got that, essentially, most individual episodes in a procedural don't matter too much in the long run and used that to get away with some crazy, random shit every week.

Along with that, Psych STILL managed to have some overarching stories.  It just wasn't the meat of the show.  There was progression in the characters and relationships.  It was a very good balance.

Also, I second bringing back Dark Angel.  Fuck X-Files or Firefly.

• Like 1

She also founded a billion dollar company so I doubt she'll have any desire to return to post-apocalyptic Seattle. That being said, resurrecting Dark Angel is still a substantially better idea than resurrecting X-Files.

Yeah, I heard about her being well on her way to being a billionaire. That was...kind of weird. Good for her, I guess. She'll be a far better looking billionare than Mark Zuckerberg or Bill Gates or Donald Trump. I hope she runs for president and/or tries to take over the world.

• Like 2

If we are going to do shit like that, how about a one off tv movie of Quantum Leap so Sam Beckett can finally come home?

I could be mistaken, and probably am since no one else has said, but wasn't there an episode where Sam did make it home and he decided to keep leaping anyways?

TV shows that should be rebooted:

Dark, gritty Nolanesque Baywatch

Dark, gritty Nolanesque Golden Girls

Dark, gritty Nolanesque Friends

Dark, gritty Nolanesque I Love Lucy

Chanandler Bong is the hero Gotham deserves...

Matthew McMconaughey travels time and space to prove they were, in fact, on a break.

• Like 3

TV shows that should be rebooted:

Dark, gritty Nolanesque Baywatch

Dark, gritty Nolanesque Golden Girls

Dark, gritty Nolanesque Friends

Dark, gritty Nolanesque I Love Lucy

And a darker, grittier second-season Millennium.

The procedural formula itself has never been bad...but at time when TV it going through a golden age....it's, like, yeah, is anyone supposed to care about good looking people in suits solving a generic crime every week?

Part of Psych's appeal was that it got that, essentially, most individual episodes in a procedural don't matter too much in the long run and used that to get away with some crazy, random shit every week.

Along with that, Psych STILL managed to have some overarching stories.  It just wasn't the meat of the show.  There was progression in the characters and relationships.  It was a very good balance.

The FCC should have declared PSYCH an essential public utility (stress relief) and forced all the Psych people to keep making the show forever.

If we are going to do shit like that, how about a one off tv movie of Quantum Leap so Sam Beckett can finally come home?

I could be mistaken, and probably am since no one else has said, but wasn't there an episode where Sam did make it home and he decided to keep leaping anyways?

Actually, he did what could've been his final Leap, and doing things a certain way would take him home, but Al would die in the process.  He he chose to save Al and keep Leaping.  Epilogue of the show says he just never made it back.

The FCC should have declared PSYCH an essential public utility (stress relief) and forced all the Psych people to keep making the show forever.

We had an hour to kill at 10 PM on Xmas eve after the kids went to bed and decided to finally watch the first episode of Black Mirror. After that almost destroyed the Xmas mood, we had to dive to netflix to the first christmas themed episode of Psych to save it.

She also founded a billion dollar company so I doubt she'll have any desire to return to post-apocalyptic Seattle. That being said, resurrecting Dark Angel is still a substantially better idea than resurrecting X-Files.

Yeah, I heard about her being well on her way to being a billionaire. That was...kind of weird. Good for her, I guess. She'll be a far better looking billionare than Mark Zuckerberg or Bill Gates or Donald Trump. I hope she runs for president and/or tries to take over the world.

She kept pestering me to marry her and I had to keep telling her no. "Sorry baby, not till you're a billionaire". So it looks like there's some nuptials coming up...
  • Like 2

Anybody watch the new 12 MONKEYS series on Syfy?

I happened to stumble across the opening on Friday and watched about the first 30 minutes before I had to go, and it seemed...pretty solid. Maybe it fell apart in the last half after I quit watching, but it was definitely slicker than your average Syfy show. I mean, it seems like they've sanded off all the rough edges and weirdness of the Gilliam movie in favor of a more streamlined, action-oriented story, but I thought it was pretty decent as far as those things go.

I feel like Pyro from the X-Men movies lacks the presence to really carry this thing in the Bruce Willis role, though.

• Like 1