DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

TV critic Joe Adaliane has made a list of the NBC and ABC pilots they've greenlit for this year over at his twitter:

NBC has ordered BLINDSPOT, about a tattoo-covered amnesiac woman whose body is key to a conspiracy.

NBC drama pilot HEART MATTERS: Female heart surgeon balances work and love life. From Jill Gordon (MSCL)

NBC drama pilot: ENDGAME (Writer John Rogers) Former sniper turned security expert drawn into a Vegas conspiracy. Sony TV.

NBC drama pilot UNVEILED Ensemble about guardian angels who help folks in need. John Sakmar & Kerry Lenhart writing. Roma D & Mark B EP'ing

ABC drama pilot: OF KINGS AND PROPHETS Bible story "told through eyes of a king, a resentful prophet and a young shepherd."

ABC drama pilot: QUANTICO FBI recruits train together; one will end up being a terrorist in a sleeper cell.

ABC drama pilot: OF KINGS AND PROPHETS Bible story "told through eyes of a king, a resentful prophet and a young shepherd."

NBC already tried this--and it was called KINGS, ironically enough.

I keep meaning to run through KINGS short run. I heard it was pretty solid.

NBC already tried this--and it was called KINGS, ironically enough.

I keep meaning to run through KINGS short run. I heard it was pretty solid.

I didn't finish the run, but the episodes I saw were decent.  It had a strong cast (Ian McShane, Eammon Walker, and Sebastian Stan in particular) and the storytelling was pretty good.

I caught Kyle Kenane special (I recommend) on Comedy Central and there was this weird situation where after midnight, they will sometimes run things uncensored for language.  So during Kyle's special, they censored him dropping a few F-Bombs, but they ran R-rated commercials for the Kingsmen trailer where Samuel L Jackson is dropping F-Bombs in the trailer.  What the fuck?

• Like 1

The tattoo one...OK, it sounds ridiculous. But if it's done correctly it could be good.

"Female *insert prestigious high-powered job* trying to 'juggle work and her love life'" is as stale an idea as "anti-hero genius solves crimes while being rude to everyone in sight."

I'd like to see a show where a woman is 95% focused on her career and not worried about dating. Or a genius who solves crimes but also has decent social skills.

There's a new Netflix show called "How The States Got Their Shapes" and it's exactly about that. It's the best, dorkiest thing.

EDIT: Oh, this was apparently on the History Channel. I wouldn't have guessed that. I mean, it makes sense that this should be on History Channel. But History Channel might as well rename itself "Human Garbage Network" at this point.

There's a new Netflix show called "How The States Got Their Shapes" and it's exactly about that. It's the best, dorkiest thing.

EDIT: Oh, this was apparently on the History Channel. I wouldn't have guessed that. I mean, it makes sense that this should be on History Channel. But History Channel might as well rename itself "Human Garbage Network" at this point.

The best is that Brian Unger hosts it, he's great.

3 episodes deep into my rewatch of Terriers and its even better watching it the second time around, forgotten not only how funny it can be but also how hard hitting it can be at times.

Edit; On a side note, what is Michael Raymond James up to these days?

I am liking The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore so far. What I like most is the format of the show. I like that they devote an entire episode to one topic. The panel discussion is a little rough around the edges now, but that will get smoothed out.

Agreed. Dug the first week of it.

On another totally unrelated topic, but would it be appropriate considering Curb the greatest sitcom of all time?

That title used to belong to Seinfeld, but I changed my opinion and I gave that title to Curb after getting the chance to watch it in it's entirety.

I have absolutely horrible taste in TV shows, but my top 5 shows would be: Curb, Seinfeld, It's Always Sunny, South Park and the Office.

I am liking The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore so far. What I like most is the format of the show. I like that they devote an entire episode to one topic. The panel discussion is a little rough around the edges now, but that will get smoothed out.

Agreed. Dug the first week of it.

On another totally unrelated topic, but would it be appropriate considering Curb the greatest sitcom of all time?

That title used to belong to Seinfeld, but I changed my opinion and I gave that title to Curb after getting the chance to watch it in it's entirety.

I have absolutely horrible taste in TV shows, but my top 5 shows would be: Curb, Seinfeld, It's Always Sunny, South Park and the Office.

If cartoons can be considered, then its Simpsons(even considering its gone on too long, those prime seasons are better than anything), Futurama, Archer, 30 Rock and South Park in some order for me. . . . 

Man it doesn't take long to come up with a top 12 that I don't want to drop anything out of:

1) The Jack Benny Show
2) Barney Miller

3) The Young Ones
4) Sanford and Son
5) Taxi
6) Seinfeld
7) Arrested Development
8) South Park
9) The Simpsons

10) It's Always Sunny
11) Soap
12) The Larry Sanders Show
13) News Radio
14) WKRP

15) The Office both versions Goddammit I have to stop somewhere

Still not including All in the Family, The Bob Newhardt Show, The Dick Van Dyke Show, Friends...geesh.

• Like 1