DVDVR Message Board

2015 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

Don't worry, they will get punished for not following something that isn't a rule, just like the Redskins and Cowboys going over the cap in an uncapped year. Because Goodell.

This was my all time favourite Goodell-ism.

Along those same lines - punishing guys for conduct code violations that occurred when there was no contract.

Don't worry, they will get punished for not following something that isn't a rule, just like the Redskins and Cowboys going over the cap in an uncapped year. Because Goodell. 

This was my all time favourite Goodell-ism.

I think what puts it over the top is that the NFLPA got hoodwinked into agreeing to the collusion so that the salary cap could be raised.  And then when they went to the judge that oversees the CBA crying about collusion, the judge basically laughed at them.

So, the Browns have discovered a little loophole

The Browns have not yet officially hired Kevin O'Connell to be the team's new quarterbacks coach, but it's been reported far and wide that O'Connell will be joining the coaching staff this upcoming season. Before he does that, though, he's going to finish personally training top prospect Marcus Mariota, a quarterback whom the Browns are reportedly interested in drafting.

The problem here is that all of the other NFL teams are forbidden from directly contacting any draft prospects before the combine. O'Connell is allowed to do this because he's not "technically" a member of the Browns' coaching staff, but in reality the team has a man on the inside who can either get a jumpstart on coaching Mariota up on the Browns' system, or feed them a more complete scouting report than any other team will have.

http://deadspin.com/the-browns-appear-to-be-up-to-some-pre-draft-shenanigan-1685196615?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Sure coach him up so you have the inside lane on draft day. The end result is that Mariota is still being drafted by fucking CLEVELAND.

Everyone praised Cleveland for making the deal last year that got them Buffalo's first rounder. I guess it's a good thing they did, because it's probably going to take both of those first rounders to be able to move up to a spot where they'll be in position to take Mariota.

At a minimum, you have to get ahead of the Jets at 6, and you could feasibly make a case that three teams in the top 5 (Tampa at 1, Tennessee at 2, Washington at 5) could be looking quarterback, so even if you get up to Jacksonville at 3 or Oakland at 4, it might not be enough. And either of those teams is going to want more than those two firsts, I'm guessing.

Unless, of course, they somehow think that Mariota is going to get "Bridgewatered" and wind up falling into their laps at 12. Stranger things have happened, I guess. But, at that point, if the rumors are true you have to worry about Philadelphia jumping up from 20 via a much more feasible deal than it would take for them to get into the top 5.

Philly jumping that high would almost require them trading Foles, their #1, and probably another 1 to... I guess the Jets?   

That's a big gamble on this guy who's in full backlash right now.   

I think Cleveland needs to stop half-assing this and get full on behind Johnny Football or turn the keys over to Hoyer.  Enough.  You're running an NFL franchise, not a rec league flag football team. 

I really had hope for Cleveland. They had the 7th pick in the draft, wind up trading three first round draft picks for the next three years for the number one pick in the draft. Then with that first pick, they chose a linebacker instead of a quarterback throwing everyone off. That was truly one for the ages. As if that wasn't enough, they somehow manage to get the 6th pick after trading away their second round draft picks for the next three years, and later trade that pick to get their first round draft picks back, getting a punter in the process, and then select their RB with the original 7th pick.

They do all of that, and they still can't figure their shit out.