DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Boy, NXT is really showing up the main shows pretty badly. They are able to have multiple multi-layered stories that each have a beginning, middle, and end with one-hour weekly shows and quarterly two-hour specials, and the main shows have five+ hours of weekly television and monthly three-hour PPVs and can barely tell one decent main-event story without losing track of the narrative threads. I get that NXT also has a much smaller roster, but come on. 

It's been a chore to watch some of these PPVs for the main show, much less RAW and Smackdown, neither of which I've seen a full show for in months. I have to be honest, I feel like just watching the Road to WM PPVs (which has been made worse with the loss of EC in February, IMO) would be more than enough of the main roster WWE I'd need for the whole year, though I probably will keep watching the other PPVs just because of the value that they represent. 

• Like 2

Boy, NXT is really showing up the main shows pretty badly. They are able to have multiple multi-layered stories that each have a beginning, middle, and end with one-hour weekly shows and quarterly two-hour specials, and the main shows have five+ hours of weekly television and monthly three-hour PPVs and can barely tell one decent main-event story without losing track of the narrative threads. I get that NXT also has a much smaller roster, but come on.

It's been a chore to watch some of these PPVs for the main show, much less RAW and Smackdown, neither of which I've seen a full show for in months. I have to be honest, I feel like just watching the Road to WM PPVs (which has been made worse with the loss of EC in February, IMO) would be more than enough of the main roster WWE I'd need for the whole year, though I probably will keep watching the other PPVs just because of the value that they represent.

One of the things that I like about NXT is that it seems to be in a silo with a ton of old school influences like Dusty/Regal/Smiley/Brisco involved. Some of the characters stink and the promos shaky, but the overall gameplan is build star, build feud, blow off, on to next feud. It's all interwoven with a small roster. Feels Crocketty.

Staying away from Stephanie's team of sitcom writers, the Scooby Doo crap, the egos/politics, seems to work for it. One caveat, I think it's a terrible idea for it to be pushed as a third "brand" and heavily advertised. If the model is train in NXT, go to main roster when ready with a character that feels like a debuting star, you are killing that mystique and overexposing people to a work in progress.

i agree with most of the commonly picked matches for the predicted Mania card

Lesnar vs Reigns

Triple H vs Sting

Cena vs Rusev

Rollins vs Orton (Orton comes back at TLC to cost Rollins against Cena, they eliminate one another at the Rumble and hold off the singles match to Mania. Plus Rollins is perfect for a springboard into the RKOOUTTANOWHERE!)

Miz vs Sandow (If they have to split, just keep 'em together long enough for the spot where Miz gets eliminated from the Rumble causing Mizdow to eliminate himself. No idea where Damien goes as a character post-Mizdow)

Brie vs. Nikki (Although I kinda prefer having the Bellas just be back together like nothing happened. Using the angle that Brie helped Nikki win the title so she could eventually beat her for it works, the only match that makes sense unless just putting all divas in one again)

Ziggler vs Bad News Barrett for the IC, I think could be real good with Barrett coming back for the title he had to give up.

The Usos vs The Ascension (Personally would've kept the titles on the Usos, at least past the point they did lose them at. The Stardust/Goldust reign felt kind of pointless, but ending up on Miz/Mizdow worked well.)

Harper vs Rowan if there's room.

2nd Annual Andre battle royal for everyone else. Only one I hate not including is Ambrose as surely he deserves and will get a singles showcase, but couldn't figure up the best available opponent that hasn't already been done a bunch of times.

I'd hold off on Rollins cashing in until Extreme Rules to at least give Reigns his Mania moment but could definitely see them having Rollins cash in at WM just because it's never been done. If they get Brock for another date, Reigns beats him in an extreme rules rematch leading to Rollins cashing in there. Rollins holds it through the summer leading to Rollins/Bryan headlining SummerSlam if Bryan could be back by then.

• Like 1

One of the things that I like about NXT is that it seems to be in a silo with a ton of old school influences like Dusty/Regal/Smiley/Brisco involved. Some of the characters stink and the promos shaky, but the overall gameplan is build star, build feud, blow off, on to next feud. It's all interwoven with a small roster. Feels Crocketty.

Staying away from Stephanie's team of sitcom writers, the Scooby Doo crap, the egos/politics, seems to work for it. One caveat, I think it's a terrible idea for it to be pushed as a third "brand" and heavily advertised. If the model is train in NXT, go to main roster when ready with a character that feels like a debuting star, you are killing that mystique and overexposing people to a work in progress.

Honestly, that's one of the weaknesses with how good NXT is- it's hard to remember that it is a developmental territory rather than a standalone brand.

I've always thought it's better to just treat NXT like you would if you were watching Triple-A baseball. You'll have some guys who are the top prospects in the company (your Zayn/Neville/Charlottes), your guys who are AAAA-players or rehabbing major league guys (your Kidd/Sin Cara/Emmas), your guys who are going to be something special in a couple years, but aren't there just yet (your Mojo Rawley/Baron Corbin/Enzo Amores), and your Triple-A players for life (your CJ Parkers).

• Like 2

Honestly, that's one of the weaknesses with how good NXT is- it's hard to remember that it is a developmental territory rather than a standalone brand.

I've always thought it's better to just treat NXT like you would if you were watching Triple-A baseball. You'll have some guys who are the top prospects in the company (your Zayn/Neville/Charlottes), your guys who are AAAA-players or rehabbing major league guys (your Kidd/Sin Cara/Emmas), your guys who are going to be something special in a couple years, but aren't there just yet (your Mojo Rawley/Baron Corbin/Enzo Amores), and your Triple-A players for life (your CJ Parkers).

So where does your Finn Balor's fit in? Your once in a generation prospect who gets called up after a cup of coffee (ala Bryce Harper)?

• Like 1

I  haven't watched Takeover yet, but from what I'm reading, everybody's down with Balor's cosplay gimmick now?  You guys sure are fickle....

Yes.  As established a few pages ago, we all think the exact same way and just switch screen names when we change our minds.

• Like 6

Miz vs Sandow (If they have to split, just keep 'em together long enough for the spot where Miz gets eliminated from the Rumble causing Mizdow to eliminate himself. No idea where Damien goes as a character post-Mizdow)

The feud starts when Mizdow refuses to eliminate himself.

• Like 3

I'm hoping that Miz draws an early number, and Mizdow comes out with him to do the mimic spots; then Mizdow draws a later number and does his own bit.

Impossible booking:  Mizdow wins the Rumble, Miz comes out and celebrates like he won the Rumble to close the PPV with "the point", and then the turn happens when Miz tries to get Mizdow to say he's giving up the shot.

@TheRock: @FightOwensFight Congrats on a helluva debut. Very happy for you homeboy. Stay humble and hungry.. and see ya at the top! #SunsetFlips4Life

Have Rock or Steen/Owens ever explained where they got to know each other at? I can't imagine Rock ordering PWG DVD's. It's one of the weirdest friendships in wrestling to me.

This has to be the craziest 30 days stretch in memory. 

Sting debuting, the Punk podcast, the Vince podcast, Punk to MMA, NJPW World, NJPW TV in US. Takeover being so much fun. TNA going to Destination America was in the last month too.

Some months something like Del Rio to ROH would be the biggest story. It's barely a blip right now.

@TheRock: @FightOwensFight Congrats on a helluva debut. Very happy for you homeboy. Stay humble and hungry.. and see ya at the top! #SunsetFlips4Life

Have Rock or Steen/Owens ever explained where they got to know each other at? I can't imagine Rock ordering PWG DVD's. It's one of the weirdest friendships in wrestling to me.

No idea but I recall someone telling a story of the Rock saying (before he completely understood who Steen was), "I really like this Killsteen guy."

When Rock returned for the match with Cena and brought the "Boots to Asses" catchphrase, didn't Steen get #needlestoasses trending?

Damn, that's hilarious.  I really hope it's true.

Apparently, the friendship started over Twitter so The Rock must've found it hilarious too.

Sting debuting, the Punk podcast, the Vince podcast, Punk to MMA, NJPW World, NJPW TV in US. Takeover being so much fun. TNA going to Destination America was in the last month too.

Some months something like Del Rio to ROH would be the biggest story. It's barely a blip right now.

Yes, nxt having a good show is much crazier than a murder/suicide involving a legendary wrestler.

Yes, nxt having a good show is much crazier than a murder/suicide involving a legendary wrestler.

Wellllll.... Thanks for contributing to the thread, everyone! Talk to you all next month!

• Like 4

I was going to clarify as "recent memory" since that was the point but I think I'm just going to put you on ignore instead.

Yes, 2007 would not be considered recent memory. "This is the craziest thirty days in the past six years of wrestling".

Brian Kendrick (former WWE Champion) was at the NXT show last night. And he's getting a one week tryout as a trainer. Plus, apparently worked a dark match against Solomon Crowe at the TV ratings tonight.

I bet that conversation with Triple H was awkward as hell.