DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

From the latest WON:

The 17-year tradition of pro wrestling at the former NWA Wildside Arena in Cornelia, GA, is in jeopardy. Anarchy Wrestling owner Franklin Dove said he was moving to Orlando and unless somebody buys the promotion from him, the final show will be 12/27.

It can't be that expensive can it? Can we crowd source it and hire BEN! as the booker?

If Ben was the booker, they'd be out of business by 12/29.

You can still send me money, I'll just consider you a silent partner.

From the latest WON:

The 17-year tradition of pro wrestling at the former NWA Wildside Arena in Cornelia, GA, is in jeopardy. Anarchy Wrestling owner Franklin Dove said he was moving to Orlando and unless somebody buys the promotion from him, the final show will be 12/27.

It can't be that expensive can it? Can we crowd source it and hire BEN! as the booker?

Or whenever Bunkhouse Buck walks out on him.

• Like 2

I was thinking about the whole nerd/gamer thing yesterday with the WWE. The New Day was supposed to be three gamer/nerd guys coming together. I bet after five seconds of trying to explain Dragonball Z to Vince he was like WHAT IS THIS SHIT. Then he was like YOU KNOW, WE HAVEN'T HAD A PREACHER GROUP THAT'S TAKEN OFF.

This followed Vince doing a full on half hour of black baptist preaching. DO YA FEEL THE POWAH???

Seriously though with Vince at the helm, the WWE misses so many trends and when they do finally get on board one its usually years after it was relevant.

watching GWF. Turns out Booker T's mother may not have had a brain tumor, since Wikipedia says both of his parents died in his teens

---

Oh man... Main Street Foreclosure got the first ad of the break after a Manny Villalobos match (Manny is in a high mortgage storyline with Akbar)

I was watching Ready to Rumble last week (and no I'm not ashamed to admit I love that movie) and that reminds me of this exchange:

Sean Dawkins: According to his authorized biography, Jimmy King worked very hard in high school. And after you died in the plane crash, he went to community college and supported you while he held two jobs!

Fred King: I oughta kick yer ass! Freak!

Jane King: We saw him last week. He came and borrowed our motor home. We haven't seen him since. The big shit!

• Like 1

I was watching Ready to Rumble last week (and no I'm not ashamed to admit I love that movie) and that reminds me of this exchange:

Sean Dawkins: According to his authorized biography, Jimmy King worked very hard in high school. And after you died in the plane crash, he went to community college and supported you while he held two jobs!

Jane King: We saw him last week. He came and borrowed our motor home. We haven't seen him since. The big shit!

I assume this exchange makes some sense if you've seen the movie?

Two fans (David Arquette and Scott Caan) of wrestler, Jimmy King (Oliver Platt) try to track down King after he loses the WCW title to DDP due to shenanigans by crooked promoter, Titus Sinclair (Joe Pantaliono). They want to help him regain his confidence, his crown and his belt. They track down his parents to try to find King’s whereabouts. They think King is this paragon of virtue and all-around good guy. Needless to say, he’s just a carny pro-wrestler and his whole backstory was faked, hence the exchange above.

Ready To Rumble is the best movie you'll ever see about Jerry Lawler.

I think it's a good piece of pro-wrestling booking in movie form. Good guy is on top for a while, gets cocky and loses. Fights his way back with the help of his friends, wins back his self-respect, fans and title. Jimmy King>John Cena. WWKD

• Like 2

I think it's a good piece of pro-wrestling booking in movie form. Good guy is on top for a while, gets cocky and loses. Fights his way back with the help of his friends, wins back his self-respect, fans and title. Jimmy King>John Cena. WWKD

I counter this argument by admitting only that I think the angle in "Grunt: the Wrestling Movie" trumps it.

From the latest WON:

Or whenever Bunkhouse Buck walks out on him.

Bunkhouse Buck can only grab so many of Ben's imaginary brass rings before he gets fed up with playing second fiddle to Meng.

• Like 1

Now the heels are foreclosing on him somehow - didn't know General Skandor Akbar gave out house loans. Maybe he was the money behind Countrywide.

just wait until Akbar gives Brandon Baxter money to buy his first car, only to ruin Brandon Baxter's credit forever.

Also, I like that the Transmission place thought nothing of having their endorser beat up someone for not going to their place sooner.

I'm from Tennessee, I'm used to wrestling racism. I loved the completely tasteless angle in Memphis where Robert Fuller gives everyone in the Stud's Stable Rolex watches except for Brickhouse Brown, who gets, you guessed it, a watermelon, but that was a face turn for Brickhouse and a chance to vanquish the evil of racism.

I guess this would've been, too, at some point, but I came in late on the angle and my mind was boggled trying to figure out how Scandor Akbar got hold of this poor dude's mortgage. And he had some sorta lawyer with him who had the most stereotypical Southern accent ever.

I love me some managers in wrestling, but even I had to admit Global was overdoing it - every heel had a manager, and the managers had toadies. Gary Hart had some kinda weasel following him around and I could not for the life of me figure out why he was even there.

I know everybody loved his color commentating run, but for the life of me, I can't really remember if Stevie Ray was always a better promo than Booker T. Was he? He roasted Booker T in the promo department here, but this had to be way early in their career.

From a logic standpoint, why is Cena putting his no. 1 contendership on the line but Rollins doesn't have to give up his briefcase  if he loses?

Why is Cena the only one with something to lose?

Isn't the briefcase more desirable because you get to pick your spot?

Now the heels are foreclosing on him somehow - didn't know General Skandor Akbar gave out house loans. Maybe he was the money behind Countrywide.

just wait until Akbar gives Brandon Baxter money to buy his first car, only to ruin Brandon Baxter's credit forever.

Also, I like that the Transmission place thought nothing of having their endorser beat up someone for not going to their place sooner.

I'm from Tennessee, I'm used to wrestling racism. I loved the completely tasteless angle in Memphis where Robert Fuller gives everyone in the Stud's Stable Rolex watches except for Brickhouse Brown, who gets, you guessed it, a watermelon, but that was a face turn for Brickhouse and a chance to vanquish the evil of racism.

I guess this would've been, too, at some point, but I came in late on the angle and my mind was boggled trying to figure out how Scandor Akbar got hold of this poor dude's mortgage. And he had some sorta lawyer with him who had the most stereotypical Southern accent ever.

I love me some managers in wrestling, but even I had to admit Global was overdoing it - every heel had a manager, and the managers had toadies. Gary Hart had some kinda weasel following him around and I could not for the life of me figure out why he was even there.

I know everybody loved his color commentating run, but for the life of me, I can't really remember if Stevie Ray was always a better promo than Booker T. Was he? He roasted Booker T in the promo department here, but this had to be way early in their career.

even the USWA had to think "whoa GWF, you have too many managers"

Maybe the Manny Hard Luck Villalobos for the 2010s is a guy who unknowingly went to an evil wrestling school. His trainer owns his contract and uses him for evil deeds

From a logic standpoint, why is Cena putting his no. 1 contendership on the line but Rollins doesn't have to give up his briefcase  if he loses?

Why is Cena the only one with something to lose?

Isn't the briefcase more desirable because you get to pick your spot?

Due to Brock's contractual obligations they need to hit the reset button going into the Royal Rumble.

It makes sense when you consider the supposed card that we bandied about here a couple of months ago.