DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Mark Madden claimed that. Everyone else figured Madden was an idiot because Taker had worked feuds with HBK, Hart, Mysterio, etc his whole career.

A story that sounds a bit less idiotic was that there was a bit of heat when Punk first won the world title and Taker suggested Punk start dressing the part, with Punk rebuffing him at the time.

Ok....yeah clarifies it a bit. I knew someone was saying it I just couldn't remember the context.

I believe it was said that Taker came to respect Punk after the 1999 feud matches.

Slick looks good.

Speaking of WWE, is that Survivor Series 5-on-5 from this year the best traditional Survivor Series match ever? It has to be in the running. I just watched '89 and '90, but I wouldn't put any of the matches from those shows over this year's. I'm watching '95 right now, but off the top of my head, I can't think of a 4v4 or 5v5 SurSer match that was better structured than this year's main event match, and SurSer matches tend to be really well-structured, so that's no small feat.

I think the Underdogs vs. Bodydonnas match from '95 holds up as one of the best traditional SS tag matches.

• Like 3

Mark Madden claimed that. Everyone else figured Madden was an idiot because Taker had worked feuds with HBK, Hart, Mysterio, etc his whole career.

A story that sounds a bit less idiotic was that there was a bit of heat when Punk first won the world title and Taker suggested Punk start dressing the part, with Punk rebuffing him at the time.

If that's true it's especially ironic considering Taker was always said to be one of the few exempt from the rules when they started instituting that backstage business casual dress policy.

Let's not forget that Cesaro's it moment was the post-WM Raw which is known for strange things happening like the year before when everyone went nuts for Fandango. 

The crowd itself had a strong European tilt to it and of course they were going to support Cesaro.

In terms of Punks and Wyatt's feuds they did make some odd decisions.

But then Undertaker introduced Punk to Paul Bearer by saying "He's one of us." so they obviously became friends. Madden is dumb.

While you can certainly understand Punks argument that they were never going to make him "the guy", they did push/protect him post-pipebomb.

Except for having him put over HHH.

Punk was WWE champion for over a year, had a Mania match with Taker, was protected against Brock and was booked to go over HHH at WrestleMania. How many guys have been given those opportunities? The only gripe he has from a booking standpoint is that he's not John Cena. He was the clear #2. All the injuries and medical issues and money issues are something that I can completely understand but the booking stuff... nah. That is where he came off as a whiner.

Thing about it is though, Punk kept saying, "If I'm not the guy, no problem. Just say so and I'll go home. Because that's really all I'm interested in doing right now." And they kept telling him, "You're the guy! You're the guy! You're the guy!" And he obviously wasn't. They shoulda just told him that. Coulda saved a lot of heartache for all sides and would have helped Punk's health.

Just my opinion, but this itself makes him sound completely whiny as well. 

As has been said before, when it comes to his health, I can understand any gripes.  But the whining about how he was booked is irritating at best.  So few guys get to do a fraction of what he did.  AND get paid very well for it.  All while being allowed to whine about it publicly on their national television and PPV broadcasts.

• Like 3

He shouldn't have needed them to tell him he wasn't the guy. It's pretty transparent who they believe to be the guy. And of course they're going to tell him what he wanted to hear, they didn't wanna lose #2.

Punk's whining about booking rings a bit hallow when you realize that his WWE booking got him a comic book writing deal and a UFC deal. 

The handling of Punk post-pipe bomb was a bit weak though, I'll give him that. But outside of that, he did better than 99.9% of guys who work for WWE.

I must admit, this is where I kind of get off the bus. In the 2011 match with HHH, he kicks out of two pedigrees in fairly quick succession and it's only a Jacknife by Kevin Nash and a third pedigree that puts Punk down. Yeah I don't know if HHH should have went over, but I think losing to ADR at HITC was worse for Punk than this.

That whole situation hurt both guys ADR & Punk. If the were going to take the belt off Punk after SS so ADR could get he a strong run at the belt chasing in his Mitb briefcase and winning RR earlier that year than atleast you have ADR as a new main event guy. Other than that there was no reason for Punk to have dropped the strap at SS. I remember fans were bitching about the direction after Mitb & him coming back too soon and Punk kept saying to shut up and watch things play out soo, maybe he thought HHH was going to put him over. I liked the promos with he & Nash but there is no way he should've been Punks first Program coming out of SS. When Punk resigned I wonder what was pitched to him other than he was going the get the belt from Cena because they obviously wanted to pull the trigger on Del Rio too at that time too. BiPolar Booking

I didn't realize Ron Gant was Raven's friend (and that Ron Gant was an unintentional ECW talent agent) until tonight.

I'd guess Ron Gant and Scotty Flamingo crossed paths in Atlanta. Maybe Otis Nixon struck up a friendship with Bobby Eaton around that time

I never thought I'd read about Ron Gant and Raven being friends. It's not such a big stretch when you think about it. I'm sure they enjoyed getting fucked up together in Atlanta strip clubs.

• Like 1

I didn't realize Ron Gant was Raven's friend (and that Ron Gant was an unintentional ECW talent agent) until tonight.

I'd guess Ron Gant and Scotty Flamingo crossed paths in Atlanta. Maybe Otis Nixon struck up a friendship with Bobby Eaton around that time

I wonder if they met in the Gold Club.

While you can certainly understand Punks argument that they were never going to make him "the guy", they did push/protect him post-pipebomb.

Except for having him put over HHH.

Punk was WWE champion for over a year, had a Mania match with Taker, was protected against Brock and was booked to go over HHH at WrestleMania. How many guys have been given those opportunities? The only gripe he has from a booking standpoint is that he's not John Cena. He was the clear #2. All the injuries and medical issues and money issues are something that I can completely understand but the booking stuff... nah. That is where he came off as a whiner.

Thing about it is though, Punk kept saying, "If I'm not the guy, no problem. Just say so and I'll go home. Because that's really all I'm interested in doing right now." And they kept telling him, "You're the guy! You're the guy! You're the guy!" And he obviously wasn't. They shoulda just told him that. Coulda saved a lot of heartache for all sides and would have helped Punk's health.

Just my opinion, but this itself makes him sound completely whiny as well. 

As has been said before, when it comes to his health, I can understand any gripes.  But the whining about how he was booked is irritating at best.  So few guys get to do a fraction of what he did.  AND get paid very well for it.  All while being allowed to whine about it publicly on their national television and PPV broadcasts.

I could see that point when he was just starting out. But by then, he didn't need to do it, he didn't wanna do it, and he was only interested in doing it under those terms. I don't see an issue with that.

I just highly doubt anyone ever promised Punk he was going to be the company ace. Anyone who was watching during his run near the top knew even when he was champ, the promotion was centered around Cena. And I recall in interviews that Punk was ok with this. He would describe himself as batman to cenas superman or savage to cena's hogan. 

Punk's gripe with the booking, which i believe is legit, is why he wasn't given an opportunity to be the guy. The crowds always digged him and were into his angles. His headlining matches delivered. Sometimes it seems like WWE thinks the sky will fall if the promotion takes a chance and centers the promotion around someone other than Cena. 

You look at someone like Ambrose and you see him falling into this same category. Take a chance and see what happens. Toss him in there with Lesnar and let Lesnar make him. It wont be the end of the world and maybe you'll have a new cash cow on your hands.  

• Like 1

The topic of Roman Reigns getting shoved down the fans' throats from the Raw thread reminded me of one of the Rock's returns.

I remember when the Rock came back from his movie hiatus before WrestleMania XIX and was being shoved down our throats and it got him turned on by the fans. But that also led to "Hollywood" Rock, which is my favorite version of his character. Probably the best Mic work I've seen ever and was great in the ring. I thoroughly enjoyed his mini-fued with the Hurricane.

I just highly doubt anyone ever promised Punk he was going to be the company ace. Anyone who was watching during his run near the top knew even when he was champ, the promotion was centered around Cena. And I recall in interviews that Punk was ok with this. He would describe himself as batman to cenas superman or savage to cena's hogan.

Punk's gripe with the booking, which i believe is legit, is why he wasn't given an opportunity to be the guy. The crowds always digged him and were into his angles. His headlining matches delivered. Sometimes it seems like WWE thinks the sky will fall if the promotion takes a chance and centers the promotion around someone other than Cena.

You look at someone like Ambrose and you see him falling into this same category. Take a chance and see what happens. Toss him in there with Lesnar and let Lesnar make him. It wont be the end of the world and maybe you'll have a new cash cow on your hands.

I probably should have said "A top guy" rather than "The top guy".