DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

That probably is an underrated factor in Austin's rise. The "3:16" thing got over but he probably would've floundered in the midcard-upper midcard range for a while without someone like Bret to back him. 

If Bret had never asked to work with Austin, we probably would've gotten an extended Austin/Pillman feud instead. 

Why? It's pro wrestling discussion. Not only that, there's no pro-Punk/anti-Punk shit going on. I brought up how weird it was to watch his documentary now and how it looks weird in light of everything that's happened. From there, we've entered into a discuss about Vince's bullshit brass rings and if Punk made a difference or not.

• Like 1

Honestly, the "I don't like this topic and am going to snark about it" posts need to go die in a fucking fire. (I said posts, not posters. The posters just need a slap upside the head or something.) We are a message board community, and thusly have the collective attention span of fruit flies. Post something you ARE interested in, and if what you're interested in doesn't suck, you'll probably get people talking about it.

And one way or another, the topic of conversation will eventually make it back to CM Punk anyway.

• Like 5

Exactly. And much like the conversation will veer back to CM Punk, it can just as easily veer away from CM Punk if someone wants to post about something wrestling related, as opposed to whining about what's being posted.

The other thing from his documentary is that from someone so head strong, after getting re-signed by WWE at Money in the Bank, Punk turned into a really naive person. I wonder if he thought that since he got re-signed he wasn't going to get dicked around anymore. From his interview with Colt, he was constantly dicked around, even putting his health and well being at risk, and he kept thinking it would change. Seems like a fool me once/fool me twice kind of thing.

I also realize that some change happened, but it never sticks. Punk was as miserable when he left this time around as he was when he nearly left in July 2011. No one really speaks up or challenges Vince because no one wants to get in the doghouse and I wonder just how safe these guys are if Punk is going out there wrestling with concussions and staph infections. You do have guys like Dolph who get sidelined with concussions, but then you have someone like Cena who can never really take time off to heal.

Indy wrestling will be a bit slower for the rest of the year for me...just SICW next Saturday(Jim Cornette in a guest ref spot) and High Risk Wrestling on the 28th with a ton of cool indy talent.

I'm pretty much done trying to figure out mainstream wrestling.

My only issue with the idea that they needed to go back to Cena and Orton when Bryan got hurt, Punk left, etc., is that they had two guys elevated that could have at least temporarily bridged things because of how they were over at the time - Cesaro and Bray Wyatt. I speak of Wyatt in particular here. I'm not saying he is some amazing worker being held down, but if you go back and watch the shows from last December and January, the crowd was treating him, Harper, and Rowan with an Undertaker-like sort of respect. 

I wonder how much more interesting this summer would have been with Bray Wyatt winning the MitB for the title, explicitly beating down Cena on the way, and a pseudo-Corporate Ministry redux as HHH and Stephanie tried to figure out how they might exactly control a possessed weirdo and his backwoods friends. The crowd would have bought it even after Cena almost killed him dead in that terrible feud they had, but then Wyatt just got stuck in a totally useless Jericho feud. 

• Like 2

Reality of Wrestling is bringing in Pro Wrestling Syndicate's Mario Bokara, Fallah Bahh, and Dan Maff for the ROW Christmas Show this weekend. Are any of these guys worth getting excited about? I think I've seen one Maff match, but I honestly don't remember.

I fucking hate you guys for bringing up that song. It pisses me off the lack of irony. Most of the scenarios were "Shit happens."

The song is ironic because it's (deliberately) about people who use irony incorrectly.

• Like 2

Punk made serious accusations about WWE's backstage procedures. I think it's worthwhile to discuss that.

At the very least Punk brought to light that the WWE has been doing what we know all wrestling companies have always done. Telling guys with serious injuries to man up and keep on going. Because if you don't well unless you're someone the boss like (IE. Reigns), there's no guarantee that you'll have your spot when you come back.

Bret tells the story in his book when Dino Bravo shoved him off the ring and he hit the guardrails at the Boston Garden chest first and he broke his damn sternum and bruised his heart. He was back on the road I think in ten days because "well, there's no guarentee your spot will be here if you're out for say a month or two".

Above all else that's the good that's come out of this punk thing. Maybe now guys won't have to fear wrestling with serious injuries just so they can keep their position.

While you can certainly understand Punks argument that they were never going to make him "the guy", they did push/protect him post-pipebomb.

Except for having him put over HHH.

Punk was WWE champion for over a year, had a Mania match with Taker, was protected against Brock and was booked to go over HHH at WrestleMania. How many guys have been given those opportunities? The only gripe he has from a booking standpoint is that he's not John Cena. He was the clear #2. All the injuries and medical issues and money issues are something that I can completely understand but the booking stuff... nah. That is where he came off as a whiner.

• Like 7

Punk made serious accusations about WWE's backstage procedures. I think it's worthwhile to discuss that.

At the very least Punk brought to light that the WWE has been doing what we know all wrestling companies have always done. Telling guys with serious injuries to man up and keep on going. Because if you don't well unless you're someone the boss like (IE. Reigns), there's no guarantee that you'll have your spot when you come back.

Bret tells the story in his book when Dino Bravo shoved him off the ring and he hit the guardrails at the Boston Garden chest first and he broke his damn sternum and bruised his heart. He was back on the road I think in ten days because "well, there's no guarentee your spot will be here if you're out for say a month or two".

Above all else that's the good that's come out of this punk thing. Maybe now guys won't have to fear wrestling with serious injuries just so they can keep their position.

At the same time you do not want a Daniel Bryan situation where the guy refuses to do surgery and sits on the shelf for a couple of years.  There needs to be a happy medium between the two.

So, this is COMPLETELY off the subject, but maybe someone is in the know:

What was the deal with Buddy Landell? I always really liked him in SMW, and I haven't sen him in much else, but Ive heard that Vince was a big fan of his at one point. Why wasn't he a bigger star?

So, this is COMPLETELY off the subject, but maybe someone is in the know:

What was the deal with Buddy Landell? I always really liked him in SMW, and I haven't sen him in much else, but Ive heard that Vince was a big fan of his at one point. Why wasn't he a bigger star?

"His own worst enemy" in the 1980s.

And if i remember the story right, Budro was at a RAW taping (i think in delaware) where he slipped on ice and messed up his knee.

While you can certainly understand Punks argument that they were never going to make him "the guy", they did push/protect him post-pipebomb.

Except for having him put over HHH.

Punk was WWE champion for over a year, had a Mania match with Taker, was protected against Brock and was booked to go over HHH at WrestleMania. How many guys have been given those opportunities? The only gripe he has from a booking standpoint is that he's not John Cena. He was the clear #2. All the injuries and medical issues and money issues are something that I can completely understand but the booking stuff... nah. That is where he came off as a whiner.

Thing about it is though, Punk kept saying, "If I'm not the guy, no problem. Just say so and I'll go home. Because that's really all I'm interested in doing right now." And they kept telling him, "You're the guy! You're the guy! You're the guy!" And he obviously wasn't. They shoulda just told him that. Coulda saved a lot of heartache for all sides and would have helped Punk's health.

I must admit, this is where I kind of get off the bus. In the 2011 match with HHH, he kicks out of two pedigrees in fairly quick succession and it's only a Jacknife by Kevin Nash and a third pedigree that puts Punk down. Yeah I don't know if HHH should have went over, but I think losing to ADR at HITC was worse for Punk than this.

• Like 2