DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

It seems like the majority of the perceived burials come down to WWE creative being inept and tone-deaf. I truly believe they rarely have any idea what they are doing. 

My guess is HHH truly believed he was elevating Punk by working with him.

Creative probably thought that simply putting Wyatt in the ring with Cena would elevate him to main event status.

Even the mishandling of Cesaro. You can picture them truly believing that putting Heyman next to him would give him a rub and elevate him.

It seems like the majority of the perceived burials come down to WWE creative being inept and tone-deaf. I truly believe they rarely have any idea what they are doing. 

My guess is HHH truly believed he was elevating Punk by working with him.

Creative probably thought that simply putting Wyatt in the ring with Cena would elevate him to main event status.

Even the mishandling of Cesaro. You can picture them truly believing that putting Heyman next to him would give him a rub and elevate him.

The problem is that they never FIX their mistakes.

Punk wasn't elevated by that HHH/Nash mess, then he went into this weird feud with Laurinaitus and Ziggler as a placeholder until the Jericho feud, (where WWE screwed up again by having Sheamus win the Rumble rather than Jericho,) and while you have to understand Cena/Rock being a bigger deal than Punk/Jericho, it still is another talking point in the "they never made Punk the guy" argument.

Wyatt goes on from losing a feud with Cena to that mess with Jericho, and even there they couldn't just put Wyatt over.

A lot of people here thought Heyman would be a good pairing for Cesaro, but it didn't work. Instead of fixing it, and resetting Cesaro back to where he was at Mania, getting over with the crowd, they just put him in more random midcard feuds and Vince says he doesn't have "it".

Punk made serious accusations about WWE's backstage procedures. I think it's worthwhile to discuss that.

At the very least Punk brought to light that the WWE has been doing what we know all wrestling companies have always done. Telling guys with serious injuries to man up and keep on going. Because if you don't well unless you're someone the boss like (IE. Reigns), there's no guarantee that you'll have your spot when you come back.

Bret tells the story in his book when Dino Bravo shoved him off the ring and he hit the guardrails at the Boston Garden chest first and he broke his damn sternum and bruised his heart. He was back on the road I think in ten days because "well, there's no guarentee your spot will be here if you're out for say a month or two".

Above all else that's the good that's come out of this punk thing. Maybe now guys won't have to fear wrestling with serious injuries just so they can keep their position.

And that's different from the NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL how?

• Like 1

It would be awesome if Cesaro (or someone) came out to the ring holding a brass gymnast ring all smug to the camera. Or all brass rings on their fingers to use as an international object©.

No one could deny Cesaro was grabbing for those brass rings then. Then we could have a brass ring ladder match where you literally have to grasp for the brass rings. Maybe they could have Vince McMahon engraved on them as well. Someone stop me please. (Or get me a job at WWE creative.)

*Edit* An IT factor on a pole match!

Reality of Wrestling is bringing in Pro Wrestling Syndicate's Mario Bokara, Fallah Bahh, and Dan Maff for the ROW Christmas Show this weekend. Are any of these guys worth getting excited about? I think I've seen one Maff match, but I honestly don't remember.

I like Fallah. He's a cool dude. Obviously influenced by Yokozuna and can move well for a guy his size. This isn't his usual schtick but at a show this weekend, he did the Cena comeback spot (two shoulder blocks, protobomb, 5 knuckle shuffle). It was pretty funny, considering how big he is, and how effortlessly he pulled it off.

• Like 1

Also, even as an ostensible babyface in those matches with Cena, Punk didn't get an outright clean win over Cena. MitB had the Laurinaitus incident

That was a very minor distraction and Punk took advantage. It's about as clean of a win as you are going to get over Cena in a big match outside of Lesnar of course.

Also, even as an ostensible babyface in those matches with Cena, Punk didn't get an outright clean win over Cena. MitB had the Laurinaitus incident

That was a very minor distraction and Punk took advantage. It's about as clean of a win as you are going to get over Cena in a big match outside of Lesnar of course.

ni2ZXh9.gif

• Like 2

Just need someone to help me with this one. As all of the YAY/BOO Punk stuff has erupted again, I thought I remembered someone saying Taker was pissed about working with Punk at Mania because Punk was too small for it to be a believable "fight." Did I imagine this news but or was this an actual thing at one point?

Mark Madden claimed that. Everyone else figured Madden was an idiot because Taker had worked feuds with HBK, Hart, Mysterio, etc his whole career.

A story that sounds a bit less idiotic was that there was a bit of heat when Punk first won the world title and Taker suggested Punk start dressing the part, with Punk rebuffing him at the time.

Mark Madden claimed that. Everyone else figured Madden was an idiot because Taker had worked feuds with HBK, Hart, Mysterio, etc his whole career.

A story that sounds a bit less idiotic was that there was a bit of heat when Punk first won the world title and Taker suggested Punk start dressing the part, with Punk rebuffing him at the time.

Ok....yeah clarifies it a bit. I knew someone was saying it I just couldn't remember the context.

Slick looks good. 

Speaking of WWE, is that Survivor Series 5-on-5 from this year the best traditional Survivor Series match ever? It has to be in the running. I just watched '89 and '90, but I wouldn't put any of the matches from those shows over this year's. I'm watching '95 right now, but off the top of my head, I can't think of a 4v4 or 5v5 SurSer match that was better structured than this year's main event match, and SurSer matches tend to be really well-structured, so that's no small feat.