DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

This thought just hit me: The Miz = Bizarro Punk. Got to work a WM main, seems to love his job, great with the media, genuinely loves the fans. I mean, the guy's given me fantasy football advice on Twitter for Chrissakes. Sure, his figure four stinks, but he seems like a dude I'd have a beer with.

I have been a big Punk fan for many years now, but I don't even want to say anything further about the situation given that the AOW thread got locked. I'm not trying to get myself or anyone else in trouble.

• Like 1

Miz, for a variety of reasons, will never ever get his due or recognition from fans.  It's amazing how many fans still hate him because he was on Real World, I mean shit even indy wrestlers still bitch about him. Miz has earned his spot and then some.

• Like 1

It took him about three years to reconstruct himself to the spot where he probably should have been all along.

Yes. I think his overpush kinda hurt him more than helped him......though he's probably found a way to live with main-eventing Wrestlemania and being the only heel other than HHH to walk in and out with the WWE Title.

I was thinking about this today....The Miz kicked out of a second AA against John Cena. To me that was so incongruous that it should have become part of his gimmick i.e. nugget that won't flush. Felt like a missed opportunity, and at least a face-turn would have been based on something.

A little bit peripheral, but Alexei Sayle (Old British Alt-comedian, you may remember his recurring appearances on The Young Ones) wrote a piece on why ballroom dancing blows - I thought it was quite amusing, partly because it's kind of a parallel with the Fandango gimmick shift:

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/nov/29/alexei-sayle-marxist-demolition-of-strictly-come-dancing

If you see a couple performing a proper Argentine tango, you are watching a dance created in the brothels of Buenos Aires that reeks of melancholy and sex and is accompanied by complex music that has grown alongside the dance and is inseparable from it. Then you watch the ballroom version, all gurning faces and robotic, angular, hideous movement, which on the show is generally accompanied by awful music that has absolutely nothing to do with the dance; you are seeing a great popular art reduced to a terrible travesty. An Argentinian friend of mine said: “When I see ballroom dancing what I always think of is impotence.” And he is right, a dance between men and women is always to some degree about sex but there is nothing more sterile and uncarnal than ballroom.

'gurning faces' - I think he's actually seen Summer Rae! 

• Like 1

The Miz's biggest trait is that he is so.. Average. Like everything about him is average. There's not a lot of Miz matches or promos that most people remember. And if there is one, it's usually because the other people in the match or segment. He tries really, really hard, which is awesome. It really, really is. But there's so many people on the roster with so much star power and seem much more natural to be big deals, it's hard to justify what makes The Miz so special. Hell, I would argue the only thing he is good for is getting his face fucking kicked/punched in.

The Miz's biggest trait is that he is so.. Average. Like everything about him is average. There's not a lot of Miz matches or promos that most people remember. And if there is one, it's usually because the other people in the match or segment. He tries really, really hard, which is awesome. It really, really is. But there's so many people on the roster with so much star power and seem much more natural to be big deals, it's hard to justify what makes The Miz so special. Hell, I would argue the only thing he is good for is getting his face fucking kicked/punched in.

His best promo was the one where he started out in the back and talked about Benoit and JBL kicking him out of the locker room. Lost in that is that MVP also cut a really good promo on him right after that.

• Like 1