DVDVR Message Board

Hell In The Cell

None of this wouldn't have happened if that pussy Daniel Bryan didn't get hurt.  IT's all his fault.  World's biggest heel.  Seriously though, the best thing that ever happened to D-Bry's championship reign was the injury.  I can only imagine the silly shit they would have him doing all summer.  

Did they ever even mention his derring-do with the house robbers? Or leading the YES chants before the NLCS in San Fran? Why would you want to erase a guy like this?

None of this wouldn't have happened if that pussy Daniel Bryan didn't get hurt.  IT's all his fault.  World's biggest heel.  Seriously though, the best thing that ever happened to D-Bry's championship reign was the injury.  I can only imagine the silly shit they would have him doing all summer.

Did they ever even mention his derring-do with the house robbers? Or leading the YES chants before the NLCS in San Fran? Why would you want to erase a guy like this?

Because they are god damned stupid?

• Like 1

I'll mention some things I thought they actually did well with this show-

For a B show they announced pretty much the entire card a week or two ahead of time.  It seems that with a lot of the PPVs (or maybe it's just my growing ambivalence) that they'll have the main event and another match or two set to go by mid-month, but won't have the rest of the card finalized until the week before.  This time I actually knew what was booked and why the matches were taking place.  Not to mention almost every title was defended.  I can't be bothered to look right now but I don't recall the last time the IC, US, and tag titles were all defended on the same show (not counting preshow matches).  It made those other belts seem important.

There was no world title match, but it was not conspicuous by its absence.  At least for me, I didn't wonder where Brock was or why there was no world title defense.  Even though I don't think the show was anything spectacular, it didn't seem to be lacking the presence of the world champion or a match involving that title.

Re. Russev's first loss - I may be in the minority here, but I actually wouldn't mind his first loss be something handed to him by another heel that starts him on a face turn.  Others have mentioned it, and I could actually see it working.  The pro-Russia/anti-America thing only has a shelf life for so long, and they could do pretty much the same schtick but just toned down the jingoism and focused more on him being an unstoppable brute and not so much the nationalism.

Can anyone honestly argue that either Rollins or Ambrose are more over now than they were at the beginning of their feud? From my perspective, they're both clearly less over. If that's the case, then what good did the feud do?

I'd be interested in hearing you back up your perspective.

Recall the huge reaction Ambrose got when he returned at NOC to challenge Rollins. Now recall how dead the crowd was for the Ambrose/Rollins segment on last week's Raw before Foley showed up.

Speaking only for myself, I sort of wondered how they could possibly leave Brock off this one given that, other than the Rumble, HITC is their marquee gimmick match and Brock has a lot of credibility as a legitimate UFC cage fighter. It seemed like a no brainer to throw him in there, and do the final Cena match. But, hey, I'm all about bringing some importance back to Survivor Series with a title match (I know rumblingz are that he won't be back until the Rumble but that seems like way, way too long).

Because they are god damned stupid?

That's about the best way anyone can put it. I mean this company craves "main stream publicity", but if it's not a guy they want getting that publicity then they don't give a shit. Like if John Cena chased down someone doing a home invasion on him and he put a guy in STF till cops come, you know they would still be talking about that.

Like 5-6 months ago, Rollins turned on his partners.  The Shield decided Reigns would go after the World Title while Ambrose got revenge on Rollins.

Rollins demanded that Ambrose be put into his MITB ladder match so he could keep an eye on him to make sure he didn't interfere in his match because that doesn't make a lick of sense.

They were going to have a one on one PPV match but they didn't so Ambrose hid in Rollins' trunk all night and then they brawled a little.

So they're finally going to have their match at the next PPV but they had to do a Beat The Clock Challenge to decide who got to pick the stips because the match they didn't have didn't have any stips and they had to load this easy feud up with some bullshit.  Ambrose won and picked a lumberjack match with all the guys The Shield beat up serving as the lumberjacks but the main point of his promo was to plug The WWE Network only costing $9.99.  Corporate Kane interfered in the match because he couldn't have done that in a regular match.

Rollins put Ambrose through some cinder blocks on Raw so WWE could bury Ambrose by sending him off to shoot a movie.

Reigns was going to get revenge but his guts exploded but luckily Ambrose came back just in time.  He didn't hide in a box or disguise himself as Adam Rose's bunny or anything.  Just rolled up in a cab just in time as the cameras went to a random shot backstage.

So finally, they're going to settle it in HELL IN THE CELL!  The dreaded structure of doom and destruction.  Nope.  Gotta do a pole match with Cena first to see who gets to wrestle Rollins.  Ambrose won but Cena got an opportunity to wrestle for a World Title shot.  Now finally, HELL IN THE CELL between the two hated rivals.  A giant cage to contain all their rage.  Nobody gets in, nobody gets out.  How will WWE cock up this gimmick three years in a row?

With a fucking ghost.

• Like 5

Recall the huge reaction Ambrose got when he returned at NOC to challenge Rollins. Now recall how dead the crowd was for the Ambrose/Rollins segment on last week's Raw before Foley showed up.

One shitty crowd is hardly an argument that both of them are less over than they were before the feud. They've both been getting great reactions all summer - Ambrose's have gotten noticeably louder since he went solo.

Well, after 16 pages of badinage and banter it becomes necessary for the Champion of Fair Play and all that is sweetness and light to step in with a fair and balanced opinion. I actually have watched the PPV twice, as the first time around I was watching folks eat Bob's leg at the same time (if that reference means nothing to you, you're better off not knowing more).

Anyway, this was our first PPV since buying the Network, so hopes were high for spectacle and MOTYCs. Sadly, we got neither. The whole thing felt like an episode of RAW minus the backstage nonsense, not that that in and of itself is a bad thing. While I'm not as jolly about the whole thing as Greg, I didn't really find much to complain about. Yeah, we didn't need the stupid hologram, but I can forgive that. Bellas were surprisingly good, whereas Paige/AJ was just sort of there. Orton and Cena need to never ever cross paths again, I cant recall the last time that I watched a match that was technically so good and yet so uninteresting. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I was perfectly content with the ending to Rollins/Ambrose. Gives Ambrose a new feud and frees Rollins up to feud with a face Orton (which is obviously coming). My biggest disappointment was Cesaro/Ziggler, they've done better on RAW, maybe it was that my expectations were so high, but as good as the match was it could've been SOOOO much better.

A C+ overall, certainly nothing to swear off watching over, but as Mrs. OSJ said, "Anyone that pays over $40 for this is an idiot."

Ambrose losing doesn't make a lick of difference. He's built in the Stone Cold mold where he builds sympathy in situations where he gets screwed. That doesn't work that way for everyone, same as him climbing the cage yelling "We're all gonna die tonight!!" and carrying the kendo stick in an arrow quiver would be ridiculous in the hands of someone else. He's too unique and too captivating to not be a huge star.

The show as a whole was pretty good, really solid IC title match, both Divas matches were good, Mizdow continues to be tremendous , and Rusev had probably his best performance to date. I don't really understand the over the top hate directed at the show.

People aren't shitting on the show, they are shitting on the ending.

For negativity perspective, either look at Bens post above me, or this:'that, last night, was the payoff to the SHIELD breakup. That was it. The main thing that was keeping this company together post Mania ended, and THAT was the payoff. They are moving on.

Don't know if anyone else had mentioned it, mainly because I am not going to read the same 3 quotes over and over because you turkeys are too lazy to quote what you need.

But I thought it was pretty cool that the opening video package stole the Evil Dead font.

One shitty crowd is hardly an argument that both of them are less over than they were before the feud. They've both been getting great reactions all summer - Ambrose's have gotten noticeably louder since he went solo.

Yeah, those shitty Kansas City crowds that never react to anything. It's not like they recently set a noise record or anything. Oh, wait...

And it's not just one night. They've been getting steadily less reaction since NOC.

Lost in everything else is that Ziggler/Cesaro was really fucking good. Those counter sequences were quick and clean, the arm work to set up the finish was subtle, but flowed well (even if the jagoff announcers unsurprisingly had no idea how to put it over and couldn't identify an armbar takedown). And that superplex spot was BOSS. Great effort from both guys.

Everything else before the main was just there, and I'm in the "finish was trash" camp for the main, but that's been beaten to death. Their FCA match on Raw was 100x better anyway.

It just hit me why I didn't care for Orton-Cena. Well, first, I'm burned on Orton and Cena. But mainly, Cell matches should be about feuds, like Ambrose-Rollins, despite the screwy finish. "Winner gets a title shot" isn't really motivation for a cell match except for it being the Hell in a Cell PPV. It's kinda dumb having a Cell PPV anwyay. I like the Money in the Bank concept for a PPV, that makes sense.

They should replace Hell in a Cell with King of the Ring. I don't know why they're averse to that concept. It made a good launching pad for the pushes of a number of guys (Austin, Owen, Edge) and is a sweet format because it allows wrestlers to sell damage over a whole show.

Tsar Rusev and Tsarina Lana crushing the hopes of the crowd by making Dolph Ziggler pass out in the gentle neck hug Accolade in the finals would be fantastic for the crowd reaction.

• Like 1

Whether or not it actually does hurt, it doesn't look like it particularly hurts, at least the way Rusev (or Scott Steiner for that matter) locks it on. Isn't the point of a move to look like it hurts and hopefully not hurt at all?

• Like 1