DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: YOKOZUNA

RIPPA

1993-94 "hoovering around 500 lbs" Yokozuna was a fucking amazing sight to see.  He was so quick, so fluid, and so god damn mean. 

550+ lbs Yokozuna was fun as a tag partner to Owen who got plenty of rest.

600+ lbs Yokozuna was depressing.

But Christ almighty his big main event run was awesome.

• Like 1

I wonder what would have happened if he'd taken all of 97 or 98 off to drop a few hundred pounds (supposedly the WWF wanted him to drop down to around 400 in order to work there again).  He was only 34 when he died and seeing these videos of him being considerably lighter and more mobile make me ponder if he could have been able to make some sort of comeback, maybe under a new gimmick

Wasn't his last WWF match a quick job to HBK?

Last I remember was a Summerslam 96 preshow loss to Austin wherein the ropes/turnbuckle snapped

He came back randomly as a heel with Cornette and jobbed to HBK soon afterwards, either this or the Survivor Series 96 elimination match was his last televised match I think...

KALAMA

I'll always remember one of his Raw squashes where the jobber kind of sandbagged him on a suplex, so he leaned down and just slapped the taste out of the dude's mouth. Awe-inspiring.

I'm surprised Hogan never tried to get him into WCW, so he could get his win back from KOTR '93, regardless of Yoko's life threatening size.

Probably too scared that Yoko would humble him again.

There was some indy fed that Dutch Mantel helped run around 99 or 2000 in Nashville at the Fairgrounds (aka TNA "Asylum") that booked Yokozuna at least once.  I wasn't there and haven't seen any tape, but I'm told that he sweated a peculiar green color.  

Does anybody know why Yoko couldn't stop gaining weight?  Glandular problem, eating disorder, what?  

Does anybody know why Yoko couldn't stop gaining weight?  Glandular problem, eating disorder, what?  

I just accept the "dude was Samoan" logic from Pulp Fiction.

Yoko was fuckiing awesome.  I always wondered how light or stiff he worked.   His uranage looks absolutely crippling.

• Like 4