DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: YOKOZUNA

RIPPA

Does anybody know why Yoko couldn't stop gaining weight?  Glandular problem, eating disorder, what?  

His wiki page claims (but lacks citation) that he was intentionally gaining weight in the hopes of becoming the "heaviest professional wrestler ever". (The goal supposedly being between 850 and 900 lbs)

Take that for whatever it is worth

There was some indy fed that Dutch Mantel helped run around 99 or 2000 in Nashville at the Fairgrounds (aka TNA "Asylum") that booked Yokozuna at least once.  I wasn't there and haven't seen any tape, but I'm told that he sweated a peculiar green color.  

Does anybody know why Yoko couldn't stop gaining weight?  Glandular problem, eating disorder, what?  

Yoko was sweating Mountain Dew? I guess it's not surprising. I too, like the Pulp Fiction logic regarding his weight problem.

Yokozuna was the first wrestler I've ever seen. In 1993 my friends parents got satelite dish, so we were at his home channel surfing until we found some German network airing Raw reruns. And here comes this behemoth of a man (who I thought was a legit sumo wrestler) who proceeds to beat the shit out of some poor bastard and finishes him off by sitting on him. I was in awe, as I've never seen anything like this in my life. Up to that point, I had no idea what wrestling was, other than this thing that Hulk Hogan does between filming his critically acclaimed movies. Needless to say, Yoko became my favourite, even though I haven't seen another match of his untill I got back into wrestling in 2007, as my cable had only channels showing WCW.

I hope this post is at least semi-coherent.

And there's also this glorious gif:

i9Vc0qlGA6F0f.gif