DVDVR Message Board

Controversial movie/TV opinions

Reed

JIm Belushi's Citizen Kane is Salvador. Also great in Thief. Randy Quaid has way more good movies in his discography.  Last Picture, Last Detail, Midnight Express National Lampoon, Parents, Freaked, Etc.

Yeah, Belushi was good in Thief.

Red Heat is the hidden gem in Arnie's filmography and it is Jim Belushi's "Citizen Kane". Also "Dead Heat" deserves more love because Joe Piscopo was never better and Treat Williams was only better in "Prince Of The City" and "Things To Do In Denver...".

"Hair" was Treat Williams finest role.

I liked Belushi in The Principal, even if it is part of the tedious "white person cleans up ghetto school" genre

Man, I have no idea why I love that movie so much but I do.  In fact I'm dying to watch it now.  I feel like I've seen it dozens of times......it must have been one of those movies that ran a lot of HBO or Showtime or something. 

Regardless of what you think of the ending Chase turned out, I get where he was coming from. Would Tony Soprano going out (on screen) in a big shoot out with the Feds/other crime family members have actually meant that much beyond an initial thrill? Probably not.

Right but I'm not sure you can compare the two characters like that because Tony Montana is a ticking time bomb from the moment we meet him.

Also, I'm not sure this is controversial but Michael Bay's The Rock is a GREAT action film. I figure FSW would have mentioned this already so I guess I will throw it out there. I think people have grown to hate Bay more and more and it clouds their judgment when discussing his earlier work.

Is it controversial to think Good Will Hunting is total garbage? I absolutely hate that movie. Beyond all belief. It's over sanctimonious garbage, completely pretentious and is just the worst. I like Robin Williams most times but he overacts a ton in this. And Ben Affleck's Boston accent is beyond awful despite him having grown up near Boston. His attempt at an accent sounds like the words of someone who grew up in some level of privilege who wished he was poor.

And Elliot Smith is a snnnnoooooooooooooze.

I liked Belushi in The Principal, even if it is part of the tedious "white person cleans up ghetto school" genre

Man, I have no idea why I love that movie so much but I do.  In fact I'm dying to watch it now.  I feel like I've seen it dozens of times......it must have been one of those movies that ran a lot of HBO or Showtime or something. 

It was a great staple of the 80's that film.

EDIT: On second thought I wanna remember happy Rae Dawn Chong film moments.

• Like 1

I never got the complete hatred for Ford Fairlane.  I know Dice is a polarizing figure, but for pure silliness, it wasn't a bad movie.

Plus, Lauren Holly looking the hottest she's ever looked on film.

Ford tricked a man into dropping his gun by appealing to false bravado and then shot him dead and the dialogue was priceless.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that movie.

• Like 1

RE: American Beauty, I think the issue is that the movie spends two hours telling you the bleeding obvious: People get too wrapped up in material possessions and become emotionally unfulfilled. It's like what I was saying about Sofia Coppola continually hammering home the "rich people get lonely too" point.

Um, we know these things. It is really "great art" to point them out?

American Beauty is an absolutely wonderful and socially relevant movie..... if you are in the audience, are over the age of thirty, and it is 1999.

This movie, like American Psycho, is trapped in the zeitgeist of Baby Boom satire. 

Gen X'ers like myself and the newer tribes simply aren't old enough to get the jokes nor to we need humor to point out the folly of the Me Generation mentality.

When we were in our twenties, we didn't trust anyone over fourty and now that we are in our forties, we don't trust anyone over sixty.

I loved American Beauty when it first came out.

Then I saw it not too far after 9/11, and my mind changed. I know that's sort of a weird thing to say, but that day really shifted my tapes. I just want to tell Kevin Spacey's character to grow the fuck up. Work on your relationship with your daughter and try and find common ground with your wife. Or get a fucking hobby or develop a spiritual side to get some meaning in your life past the pathetic nature of getting high and lifting weights.

The end to that movie is also such a cop-out. SPOILERS: An unimportant side character kills him because of some latent homosexuality, as opposed to anyone really important to the plot. Ugh.

That's also sort of why I sort of lost interest in Mad Men. It's a really wonderful show in a lot of ways, but I hate Don Draper. You're an incredibly good looking, charismatic and talented person. Just suck it up and stop being miserable. I know Betty sucks, but at least do right by your kids, dude. And also, you remarried to some really hot, younger wife who has dreams of her own. How about you keep it in your pants for a change and help her live the life she wants? There's advertising work in LA, dude.

That's why I love Friday Night Lights so much. Coach and Tami are good, responsible people who try and do right by everyone. I wish we had more people like that on TV and in movies than bad people who don't change.

• Like 2

Then I saw it not too far after 9/11, and my mind changed. I know that's sort of a weird thing to say, but that day really shifted my tapes. I just want to tell Kevin Spacey's character to grow the fuck up. Work on your relationship with your daughter and try and find common ground with your wife. Or get a fucking hobby or develop a spiritual side to get some meaning in your life past the pathetic nature of getting high and lifting weights.

It's Office Space for C-level executives.

The main character in Office Space realizes that he needs to find something that make him happy and to do just that, as opposed to live as an office drone. He finds that at the end when he starts working construction. Kevin Spacey just becomes lazy after blackmailing his boss.

• Like 1

The main character in Office Space realizes that he needs to find something that make him happy and to do just that, as opposed to live as an office drone. He finds that at the end when he starts working construction. Kevin Spacey just becomes lazy after blackmailing his boss.

He decided going back and working his summer job as a teenager made him happy. Same fucking thing.

He decided going back and working his summer job as a teenager made him happy. Same fucking thing.

Not really. He regressed. Peter tried something new. That's personal growth.

Either way, Office Space is really funny and American Beauty is a snooze.

Not really. He regressed. Peter tried something new. That's personal growth.

Yeah, that's horseshit.

Except that Spacey's character's "make him happy" was working a drive through window, smoking pot, and lifting weights to make him more appealing so he can attempt to fuck his teenage daughter's friend.  I'd call that regressing.

Peter got out of his dead end career he hated, found something he found personally worthwhile that he could live off of, and ended up in a healthy relationship with a girl that valued him.

Peter had it better.

Like every other college film geek, I thought it was awesome when it came out, and when we watched it in Film class as some awesome thing.

But years later, it doesn't hold up.  Its pretentious shit.

Except that Spacey's character's "make him happy" was working a drive through window, smoking pot, and lifting weights to make him more appealing so he can attempt to fuck his teenage daughter's friend.  I'd call that regressing.

Peter got out of his dead end career he hated, found something he found personally worthwhile that he could live off of, and ended up in a healthy relationship with a girl that valued him.

Peter's thing revolved around doing something highly illegal that would get you sent to federal prison for several years. That's worse than regressing. AB was at least realistic at the end when Kevin Spacey got shot. In real life, Peter and his friends would've gotten terminated and arrested in a jiffy.

Office Space is basically a movie to embolden middle class white people stuck in their lame studio apartment.

Also, I'm not sure this is controversial but Michael Bay's The Rock is a GREAT action film. I figure FSW would have mentioned this already so I guess I will throw it out there. I think people have grown to hate Bay more and more and it clouds their judgment when discussing his earlier work.

I loved that movie.  Need to watch it again.

Except that Spacey's character's "make him happy" was working a drive through window, smoking pot, and lifting weights to make him more appealing so he can attempt to fuck his teenage daughter's friend. I'd call that regressing.

Peter's thing revolved around doing something highly illegal that would get you sent to federal prison for several years. That's worse than regressing. AB was at least realistic at the end when Kevin Spacey got shot. In real life, Peter and his friends would've gotten terminated and arrested in a jiffy.

Office Space is basically a movie to embolden middle class white people stuck in their lame studio apartment.

Except didn't Peter have a change of heart at the end, was resolved to his possible fate of prison, turned himself in (returning the money in the process) - minus that dive to the door for comic relief - and, finding that he was saved for his nobler decision, puts himself in a position to live happier where he doesn't become tempted by those demons in the future? (Hint: that's not really a question.)

All Lester did was act out his childhood fantasies, *not* fuck Mena Suvari, and die seconds after realizing what a dickhole he'd been this whole movie, leaving behind only a family of other dickholes who are either apathetic to his passing (daughter) or wholly invested in making it all about herself (wife).