DVDVR Message Board

Raw 9-15-14

MGFanJay

At this point the match on the PPV with Rollins/Reigns is pretty much being sold on Ambrose coming back and I'm worried that he'll inexplicably turn heel on Reigns.

I had this same horrible, shitty thought when Reigns was winning that. Like, obviously they are going to screw him over now on Sunday so they had to give him a win tonight...and the announcers dropped the "He dedicated this to his good friend Dean Ambrose" thing.

And you know hos Vince's mind works...with Ambrose not there, getting huge pops every night, Vince is probably thinking "You know that Ambrose just isn't getting a big response lately. We should change him up..."

"uh, Vince, he's been.."

"Off his game...Yeah...let's do it!"

"Fuck."

Thought the same thing. Wrong guy is getting over, let's let him play lacky to the guy who's too passive to object to the shitty monkey promo. All for this Reigns project that's going to fail.

Good news is that it looks like they're going with Reigns/Lesnar for Mania, which means Cena will lose. And by Mania, the YES Movement will be Batista-ing poor Roman, so things will work out just fine.

Fu ckk all that.  Words have been typed in this thread that I want to see happen in human form.

"Dream Shield Triple Threat World Title Wrestlemania Match"

ANything else, now ANNTYTHINTONG...and I will be miserable.  Never mind the match itself...think of the weeks leading up to it....

Fu ckk all that.  Words have been typed in this thread that I want to see happen in human form.

"Dream Shield Triple Threat World Title Wrestlemania Match"

ANything else, now ANNTYTHINTONG...and I will be miserable.  Never mind the match itself...think of the weeks leading up to it....

stop_penis_erect_archer.gif

• Like 2

Using "triple threat" and "dream match" in the same sentence ought to be grounds for a vacation. Also, a Shield triple threat match would probably be booked like that one Cena/Angle/Michaels triple threat from Taboo Tuesday. Reigns would get taken out early, spend the whole match lying on the outside, and then recover in time to hit the spear at the end and get the pin.

Why can't a triple threat match with all 3 members of the Shield fighting it out for the World Heavyweight Championship be a dream match?

because NWA in the 80s didn't have those kinds of matches!!!

Using "triple threat" and "dream match" in the same sentence ought to be grounds for a vacation. Also, a Shield triple threat match would probably be booked like that one Cena/Angle/Michaels triple threat from Taboo Tuesday. Reigns would get taken out early, spend the whole match lying on the outside, and then recover in time to hit the spear at the end and get the pin.

Why can't a triple threat match with all 3 members of the Shield fighting it out for the World Heavyweight Championship be a dream match?

Because triple threat matches always suck without exception.

because NWA in the 80s didn't have those kinds of matches!!!

I bet there are nights where Dusty is like "Damn it to hell, if I heard about that dang ol triple threat I could have booked myself to beat Flair and Blanchard in the same match if you wheeeel".

And even that one had a lot of "why is this person just kind of hanging out instead of winning the match?"

ETA: The very concept of Roman Reigns appearing in a match referred to as a "dream match" is highly suspect, too - the guy just isn't very good in the ring. What would he add to what would be an infinitely better match in Ambrose-Rollins?

Another good triple threat match just fucking happened at Wrestlemania. Jesus...

Nope. It was great from a storyline standpoint in the way it paid off the Bryan saga, but the body of the match was like every other crappy triple threat.

ETA: The very concept of Roman Reigns appearing in a match referred to as a "dream match" is highly suspect, too - the guy just isn't very good in the ring. What would he add to what would be an infinitely better match in Ambrose-Rollins?

Exactly. I hope everyone who voted Reigns into the final four of March Madness feels like an idiot.

Reigns wasn't a final four guy last year but he was really effective in his role and at times he was the best guy in the Shield.

The big problem with him right now is that somebody has decided that his matches have to be laid out like he's a cruiserweight underdog. At Summerslam they had him jumping onto Orton's back like Daniel Bryan trying to wear down the Big Show. And now they have Rollins powerbombing him from one side of the ring to the other.

Reigns matches need to be the babyface version of Rusev matches: 7-10 minute hard-hitting sprints. If he can't work from the bottom like Rey or Cena then why keep forcing him to do it?

I seem to recall that triple threat at Mania 20 being pretty good.  The one with Triple H, Shawn Michaels, and ol' whatshisname.

Also have a soft spot for the first triple threat on Raw with Owen-HHH-Goldust.

The only time I've really had a problem with the concept is when a promotion decides to book a show full of triple threat matches and you see the same formulas play out in each match.  Heck, I've seen that with shows full of tag matches.

Yeah, there have been plenty of great triple threat matches to put that "these always suck" comments to rest.

Roman's been fine. People are acting like he's Khali. He hasn't had any blowaway single match yet, but he's also been in the ring a lot with Randy Orton and Kane. Randy's completely hit-and-miss and no one can get anything good out of Kane. I liked his match against Seth a lot. He's not perfect -- he can use another good signature move, but he's been solid. He's also really good in stuff like the Rumble and other "every man for himself" affairs.

I'm also not worried about the whole "Dean got over on his own let's bury him!" dumbness. The Shield were a three man unit. They broke up. Ergo, all three members should have it out. I'm surprised they didn't yet, actually. But it really worked out to keep all three apart for the time -- Rollins got to develop into a really good sniveling turd, Dean became DEAN, and Roman's gotten a good amount of rub as the next big thing.  Their personas got developed a bit, and now we get the whole payoff.

• Like 1

Gimmick matches in general tend to suck because they handcuff the wrestlers and force them into various stock spots. Triple threat matches just happen to do this to a ridiculous degree. When you get down to it, there's really only two stories you can tell:

1. One guy gets taken out, the other two go at it, the third guy comes to right when one of the other two gets a decisive advantage, repeat until it's time to go home.

2. Two guys spend the match double-teaming the third guy and then fight each other over who gets the pin.

There you go. I just described every triple threat match ever.

Yeah, there have been plenty of great triple threat matches to put that "these always suck" comments to rest.

Good, perhaps, but great? The problem with the matches is their inherent layout makes them less believable than one-on-one matches. It's not that they're all shit, they are just handicapped to the point where the idea of someone's "dream match" being a triple threat seems silly.

Roman's been fine. People are acting like he's Khali. He hasn't had any blowaway single match yet, but he's also been in the ring a lot with Randy Orton and Kane. Randy's completely hit-and-miss and no one can get anything good out of Kane. I liked his match against Seth a lot. He's not perfect -- he can use another good signature move, but he's been solid.

I just don't think he belongs in anyone's dream match (which is, of course, someone else's opinion and not mine, so it doesn't actually matter) because he hasn't shown enough ability to work a match. He's good in certain spots and roles, but doesn't have it all together yet. Certainly leaps and bounds better than Khali. I do have to take issue with him needing another signature move - ALL his moves are signature moves, he needs basic offense. The only standard offensive moves he has are a Samoan drop and a pretty bad looking clothesline.

Dean became DEAN

Heh.

That is not true.

Sabu vs Bam Bam Bigelow vs Taz is a great match.

That is not true.

Sabu vs Bam Bam Bigelow vs Taz is a great match.

Three-way dances are elimination though? I think that makes a difference actually, because the pinfall breakup stuff is what hurts a lot of Triple Threats.

Gimmick matches in general tend to suck because they handcuff the wrestlers and force them into various stock spots. Triple threat matches just happen to do this to a ridiculous degree. When you get down to it, there's really only two stories you can tell:

1. One guy gets taken out, the other two go at it, the third guy comes to right when one of the other two gets a decisive advantage, repeat until it's time to go home.

2. Two guys spend the match double-teaming the third guy and then fight each other over who gets the pin.

There you go. I just described every triple threat match ever.

But there are matches that do those formulas incredibly well.

I would also suggest the three many dynamic adds a lot that you don't see in traditional singles or tag matches. I'm a sucker for a good "unlikely pairing" segment, filled with looks of distrust and animosity that results in, immediately after the two-on-one is successful, one "partner" turning on the other immediately. There are also a lot of chances for counters and the like you won't see elsewhere I'm sure I can dig up -- something like Bryan escaping an RKO, only to get crushed by a Batista spear (that's a hypothetical situation).

Every match has its limitations, but every match also has its strength.

A lot of people were crapping on the Dean/Rollins lumberjack match because it's supposedly the worst stipulation ever. They put together a great, wild match because they're two awesome workers who realized how to make that gimmick work. Lumberjack matches are there to keep control in the ring, but they hate each other so much (and Dean's such a loon) that it was impossible for them to do so, leading to a multi-man crowd chase.

Good workers can make any type of match work.

My Rumble booking is the last 3 are the Shield guys. Reigns and Ambrose team up and kill Rollins and eliminate him. Ambrose and Reigns say f@$k it and beat the shit out of each other. Rollins hangs around with the briefcase, Reigns is dazed against the ropes Rollins jumps up to crack him with the case. Dean moves Roman, but takes the hit. Reigns doesn't see it, and eliminates Dean afterwards. Then obviously Mania 3 way is obvious. 

I'd also like to do a deal where Rollins gets number 1(possibly in one of those the winner gets #30 the loser gets #1 matches where things backfire on the Authority). Then the night of the Rumble after Rollins is out have Dean trade his #25 or some shit to the guy with #2 just so he can come out and fight Rollins.

• Like 1