DVDVR Message Board

NXT SEASON 8 THREAD

RIPPA

I didn't watch any Kenta before he entered NXT and I've stayed away save for a few minutes I watched on YouTube, where I saw essentially everyone rips his stuff off already.

HE'S FINE. WTF are they talking about? How are they talking about this, even? Hideo's had I think one regular NXT match that was a squash? Did they see the fight when he and Viktor potato'd the crap out of each other? Viktor had a welted eye and Itami had a split lip. I doubt those guys went to some random NXT house show, but maybe I'm wrong on that point.

I love the Itami storyline so far. Dude got a huge introduction taking out NXT's monsters at his well-hyped debut. Since then, they've been using him like a dog toy and took out the man who mentored him, too. The next step should be obvious and I won't spoil it (since it's out there already but we already talked abut it on here). But this is exactly how this should be done and it's great. Itami's running into the fire because it's the only thing he knows and he finally got burned.

NXT was pretty great this week, as it usually is.

They really want Breeze to become the next Shawn Michaels. He wrestled as a face against the ever hatable CJ Parker but is still a heel. That's the template when Shawn really broke out, like right when Raw debuted and he was doing color commentary and eating food with fans in the middle of matches. Still a cocky prick but one you can get behind. Breeze isn't that over-the-top with the shtick but it's really interesting. I think he, more than anyone on the roster, has breakout star potential. He can work a comedy character, a serious character and it's a gimmick they can have go either face (he'd be an even better Ziggler) or heel without having to change things up. His entrance is already special and I'm sure the big budget Raw would really give him something nice.

The Vaudevillains continue to be awesome. The new finisher is great. It lets Gotch use a stength-ish spot into Aiden's old finisher. Well thought-out.

Becky Lynch turning on Bayley was well done. Sasha is spectacular. Charlotte and her are in a race to be the best woman's wrestler to come from NXT. Bayley's the second best babyface in the whole company (Sami being number one) and I love that she's trusting no matter what. Yeah, Charlotte turned on her and has been awful to her in the past. But they made up and that's all Bayley needs and wants. She SHOULD be like that. Sting constantly getting turned on was pretty silly because he was never played as a simple person. He was always a superhero. Bayley's an every(wo)man who shouldn't ever be cynical.

Neville vs. Titus was good. You can tell they sat Titus down after his Sami match and told him to work more like a giant. Sami has a few inches on Neville, too, so it looked a lot more of a bigman vs. smallfry than against Sami. His promo was good, too. He's a great jock snob. I wrote was too many words about him before, but he remains one of the most interesting people in wrestling for so many reasons.

I love the "Sami can't win the big one" meme. I wrote in the Best Of The Year thing about why Wyatts/Shield was so great. They spent a year making Reigns this unbeatable force, as he took only one pinfall (I think at that point) previously in a friggin' 11-on-3 elimination match. He ran through the Survivor Series and set the Royal Rumble elimination record. They put all this capital into him being a world-beater and it paid off in Act 3 of that match, when he finally met a force that he couldn't beat despite the odds.

This is the same theory but different. Sami's losses to Cesaro and Titus and Breeze and whoever else are now the storyline and it has a payoff. Great stuff.

I didn't watch any Kenta before he entered NXT and I've stayed away save for a few minutes I watched on YouTube, where I saw essentially everyone rips his stuff off already.

HE'S FINE. WTF are they talking about? How are they talking about this, even? Hideo's had I think one regular NXT match that was a squash? Did they see the fight when he and Viktor potato'd the crap out of each other? Viktor had a welted eye and Itami had a split lip. I doubt those guys went to some random NXT house show, but maybe I'm wrong on that point.

yeah but newz ;(

yeah but newz ;(

Y'all know NXT runs house shows right?

Bailey/Sasha was predictably good. Those two are my favorites in the women's division. As far as Breeze goes I just don't know if he's big enough to work heel. It seemed Sami towered over him in their match. He doesn't have the kind of credibility to his offense that a guy like Bryan has. It looks silly to me seeing a guy like Mojo selling a beatdown from Breeze. I do see big baby face potential in him as a cross between Ricky Morton and Jeff Hardy.

yeah but newz ;(

Y'all know NXT runs house shows right?

1) I'm sure Dave and Bryan or whoever weren't at them.

2) If indeed true, why would you work stiff as all get out at a NXT house show of all things?

I think he means the utterly deflated reaction they had when he did literally nothing but get his ass kicked again.  After reading the bit about him in the Observer, and watching the last few weeks, my hopes for KENTA have fallen face first.

What did they say about him in the Observer?

Basically mentioning how he is trying to totally change his style, and his stuff is coming off pretty badly as a result.  He's trying to be "lighter" and more WWE like and it's not coming off well.

He's been there a couple of weeks. If it were that fucking easy to do, there'd be no reason for him to be in NXT.

NXT June 5 2014 Bayley vs. Charlotte was good and we got the return of Summer/Emma/Paige in the episode. Tyler Breeze premiered his new music video and Regal said he had already made the song his ringtone plus listens to it 7 times each day. Neville vs. Gabriel was good but just a setup for Kidd vs. Neville 2 on next week's show.

Titus is 37. Unless he becomes another Batista where everything suddenly clicks as he approaches 40 I'm not really sure how much upward mobility he could have on the card. I like Titus, he's entertaining as hell but his age is working against him ever being more than he is now.

Is it possible that maybe Adrian Neville is just better than everyone gives him credit for?

Brodus Clay had in my opinion the two best matches of his career against Neville and now he's had another good match against Titus O'Neil, who's probably one of the worst wrestlers on the roster,

• Like 1

Is it possible that maybe Adrian Neville is just better than everyone gives him credit for?

Brodus Clay had in my opinion the two best matches of his career against Neville and now he's had another good match against Titus O'Neil, who's probably one of the worst wrestlers on the roster,

Neville seems a lot like AJ Styles to me in that there's an inherent backlash with him due to his "flippy movez," but he's actually a pretty smart worker who has great timing and pacing. He just has the added bonus of all his big spots looking super pretty and that's what people take away. Zayn's #1 in NXT this year due to the Cesaro match, but Neville looks better beyond that. Good matches with Bo Dallas, Brodus, Titus (none have whom really have any other matches worth a damn all year), and his matches with Kidd were pretty even with Zayn's. For my money, Neville and Zayn are neck and neck for best NXT worker this year, and there's a pretty sizable gap before you get to #3.

Tyson Kidd is much better than Neville, and probably the best all around act in NXT this year.  Zayn/Titus was a good 5 minutes longer than Neville/Titus. They figured out Titus doesn't have the offense to be in control for that long, and made the correction. It has nothing to do with Neville being better than Zayn it has to do with booking Titus in a shorter match.

While I agree with JCM that Tyson Kidd is likely the MVP of NXT this year, Neville is damn good. The difference between his moves and AJ Styles is that when Neville busts out the flashy stuff it means something. His match with Titus was textbook on how a small guy should work with a monster. When he's in with someone closer to his size, he changes things up accordingly. I don't see him ever being a major star on the big stage, but I can easily see him as a major player in NXT for a long time to come. That could change if he develops a better interview/promo style, right now he's fine as a serious champion and his style is tailor made for the old territory days, but in WWE one has to be larger than life to get over and he's not that.