DVDVR Message Board

Raw 9-8-14 - The "Season Premiere" Episode

MGFanJay

I hope the NXT match going well means they'll try to do more of that kind of thing. A weekly NXT recap would be a good time-filler on RAW at the very least, especially now that they're keeping everyone in the same gimmick. Introducing the crowd to those guys early might mean fewer false starts like Emma and Rose in the future.

I think I would rather see him as a douchebag Wade Barrett lackey who just comes in and hits his finish during beat downs, but I do sort of think he was born to play FIP for over the hill RVD during Rob's next run.

I guess he could do it for Kofi too.

So he'd be the new Justin Gabriel?

Gabriel has way more of an upside, but yeah, pretty much. 

Shane Helms is claiming he was Adam Rose's bunny tonight.

I'm hoping the bunny is RVD, and now he thinks he's a wabbit after they slipped a molly in his pot brownies on the party bus.

Loved the Jericho-Wyatt cage match, great ending sequence with the dive and struggle to get out of the cage.

Can't wait to see more of all the new NXT guys, all 3 deserve a call up at this point.

The Heyman-Cena promo was totally awesome as everyone has mentioned, Cena & Heyman really brought the feels.

The Springer segment was hilarious to me, classic Jerry

Seth's dive on Reigns was nuts too, "it's like he fell outta the ceiling!" 

Solid show

The Cena segment would have been better if there was any sort of belief that Cena would do it.

I think it would have worked a lot better if what Cena said about Lesnar being a mercenary and holding the title hostage came true, and HHH told Cena he was getting help whether he liked it or not.  Then it would have been interesting, especially if Orton acted really unhappy with it.

Solely based on the match layout last night it is obvious Neville is being called up and Breeze is winning the belt. The match was only about Neville standing out. WWE 101 booking is that Breeze loses on TV, wins on "PPV".

PAC and El Generico tagged on Raw.

Fairly sure it was Adrian Neville and Sami Zayn.

• Like 1

What stood out to me about the Jericho/Wyatt match was how Jericho had the match won and was so scared to climb down the cage and confront Rowan/Harper that he decided to jump off the cage onto Bray. 

In the Cena/Wyatt cage match I remember Cena also having the match won and being scared to climb down the cage and confront Rowan/Harper.

Is this a common steel cage trope? 

What stood out to me about the Jericho/Wyatt match was how Jericho had the match won and was so scared to climb down the cage and confront Rowan/Harper that he decided to jump off the cage onto Bray. 

In the Cena/Wyatt cage match I remember Cena also having the match won and being scared to climb down the cage and confront Rowan/Harper.

It happened when Benoit/Angle had their match. Benoit was about to climb out of the cage but Austin was on the floor swinging a chair like a madman so Benoit opted for a headbutt off the top of the cage.

Also, Angle had the match won when Austin slammed the door on Benoit's head.Austin turned his attention to Benoit but he was standing next to the door and was so unhinged that Angle opted to go over the top rather than take the chance that Austin would attack him even though they were both heels at the time.

PAC and El Generico tagged on Raw.

Fairly sure it was Adrian Neville and Sami Zayn.

Pretty sure El Generico retired to manage the orphanage full time. Dunno where all this "Sami Zayn is El Generico" garbage is coming from.

• Like 3

"What can I say, Chris? It's the season premiere."

"Guess what? Today just isn't your day!"

Orton sounded like the main villain in a direct-to-video Van Damme movie. Raul Julia is rolling over in his grave.

Also, did some vet really give Cena his Purple Heart? What a mark.

Tonight just isn't your day!

Welcome to four hours ago.

Shane Helms is claiming he was Adam Rose's bunny tonight.

There's talk within WWE that the man behind The Bunny costume will be Darren Young.

That's who I was thinking. Don't know how that would go over with the crowd though. He wasn't exactly being pushed before he got injured.

oR7M4dA_medium.gif

"I stand against the wall!  I touch nothing!"

Someone needs to replace the chair with Indiana Jones' fedora.

That was actually a really smart improvised moment.  As the cage was coming down Kane and Seth were thrown out too early and I was wondering how they were going to sell rolling around out there since they both had lots of time before the cage was actually down. 

And then Seth got up and managed to find a way to look like he was trying to get in the ring and not be able to even though he clearly had time to get under the actual cage.  But he was too close to that spike!!!

Smart work!

• Like 1

FF'd Jerry and the main until the cage came down. Rest if the show was solid. Cena's promo was amazing and he seemed legit moved to tears. Quit being that fat old shit in the fifth row embarrassing everyone all the adults around you.

Whoever it was back there that compared the NXT stuff to Nitro's high flyers was on the money. The crowd seemed amazed, like they'd never seen this kind of thing before. After years of cutting down the high flying spots, there seems to be some real magic there again. I can imagine the kids that saw this all going over to their friend's house with the Network to see Neville like we used to do with ECW and Van Dam. Great match and so well orchestrated by the WWE, which is so rare these days.

Oh and Jericho was so over in that cage, which made it better. His "fuck it" shrug before the leap was solid, too. And damn the crowd for taking too long to play along with Heyman's "Cena sucks" stuff.

• Like 1

It happened when Benoit/Angle had their match. Benoit was about to climb out of the cage but Austin was on the floor swinging a chair like a madman so Benoit opted for a headbutt off the top of the cage.

Also, Angle had the match won when Austin slammed the door on Benoit's head.Austin turned his attention to Benoit but he was standing next to the door and was so unhinged that Angle opted to go over the top rather than take the chance that Austin would attack him even though they were both heels at the time.

Hardy/Umaga in Jan 08 is another one. Orton stood outside so Hardy dove back onto Umaga.