DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

I'd rather move the franchise forward than rehash the same old shit over and over again. There's a lot of young mutants with interesting power-sets that could be utilized in a new cartoon instead of doing basically the same thing for the fourth time.

With the SpOck conversation...

The Superior Spider-Man (Vol. 3): No Escape collects The Superior Spider-Man #11-16. In #11-13 co-written with Christos Gage, Spider-Man is asked by Mayor J. Jonah Jameson to oversee the Spider-Slayer’s execution at the Raft as Jameson expects the Spider-Slayer to try to escape. We see Otto Octavius’s reactions to returning to the Raft when once he lay dying before he switched minds/bodies with Peter Parker. In #14 SpOck goes to free Shadowland from the Kingpin’s grip and #15-16 main focus is on Phil Ulrich, the Hobgoblin. With SpOck, we see what a villain would do as a hero and the methods he uses. This was a really good book.

Bonus:

Given it's both the anniversary issue and the movie prequel, it does seem to be a team thing...but given that tweet is super new and this stuff has probably been ready since before that, I'd say it's likely they just finished it before the split.

Which one gets to keep the cosmic house? :(

Dan Abnett did an interview with CBR about the new GotG stuff. Nothing too interesting, but it turns out it actually is new stuff and not some previously unpublished work.

I still don't know what happened between Abnett and Lanning, but I'm still holding out hope they can patch up their differences at some point in the future.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=51023

Captain America: Castaway in Dimension Z, Book 2. Didn't like Sharon shooting Ian. I can sort of understand it given the situation, but Sharon never came across to me as the type before to shoot a kid and it felt like something done just to tear her character down bit to make her own later death acceptable. It annoyed me. Other than that I liked the book. I dug Cap having to go through everything while on the verge of breaking down both physically and emotionally. I liked Jet Black's struggle to do what was right even if it betrayed her father and his teachings. The epilogue with Ian as Nomad was a nice touch and makes me want to see him return at some point. Solid read.

Iron Man: The Secret Origin of Tony Stark, Book 2. Not entirely sure how I feel about this one. I found the writing and overall story to be enjoyable, and I really dug the last issue focusing on Tony and Arno. The thing that bothers me is just how convoluted it all felt just to get there. Tony no longer being a Stark by blood also bothers me somewhat. I do like the general idea of it in terms of where it leaves Tony to question himself himself for the first time in a long while. Hopefully Gillen brings Tony to some new interesting places. I like Arno so far and look forward to seeing how he is continually built up.

Superior Spider-man: Necessary Evil. I dug everything with Horizon Labs finally coming down as it felt like a long while coming with all the crap they went through. Also dug the 2099 stuff and Doc having his first real loss as the "Superior Spider-man." Still its damn hard not to hate Tiberius Stone escaping any sort of justice as he really is a loathsome bastard with no redeeming qualities as a villain. Outside of the stuff with Carlie, the Stunner two-parter felt like unnecessary filler. I did enjoy the beatdown on poor Black Cat and am curious to see if Slott does anything with it before Superior Spider-man ends.

Wolverine and The X-men #42. end of Aaron's run. I enjoyed the issue well enough, but going through I couldn't help but think of all the unfulfilled potential of Aaron's run. I loved the book when it started (first 5-7 issues) and some of the one shot issues were great, but outside of them and Hellfire Saga it never felt like the book lived up to its potential. Aaron's arcs ran too long at five issues with only Hellfire Saga really needing it. Aaron had such a large cast he could play with, but spent a bit too much time on pet characters never really building up Evan/Genesis, never doing much with his own newbies Jia Jing, Eye Boy, or Shark Girl (save her debut), and never really using any of the younger X-men pre-W&TXM save for Quire and Idie. I also feel went a bit too much into the mutants should look like freaks trying to get as many weird mutants in as possible instead of something more balanced. When I consider this is the end of his run I can't help, but be pleased because I feel there is plenty more to mine here and maybe someone else can and will. Hopefully Latour is that person though I have my doubts. One thing I am thrown off a bit here though is just who graduated as I know it had to be more than the handful mentioned. That is another thing I do hope to see which is those that graduated being used a full X-men in the various books of the line.

Superior Spider-man: Necessary Evil. I dug everything with Horizon Labs finally coming down as it felt like a long while coming with all the crap they went through. Also dug the 2099 stuff and Doc having his first real loss as the "Superior Spider-man." Still its damn hard not to hate Tiberius Stone escaping any sort of justice as he really is a loathsome bastard with no redeeming qualities as a villain. Outside of the stuff with Carlie, the Stunner two-parter felt like unnecessary filler. I did enjoy the beatdown on poor Black Cat and am curious to see if Slott does anything with it before Superior Spider-man ends.

I'm hoping my library gets a hold of The Superior Spider-Man: Necessary Evil like they did the first three volumes. I sometimes get The Astonishing Spider-Man, a UK magazine which prints recent Spider-Man stories but it's only on The Superior Spider-Man #12. The Superior Spider-Man is now on #28. The Astonishing Spider-Man isn't as current as Batman, a UK publication which reprints Batman stories. The last issue collected Batman #25, Batman and Two-Face #25 and Nightwing #25. All are now on #28. Big difference between the two.

Picked up New Warriors #1 on a whim. 

I don't know if I really care about these characters individually enough to hold me over until they actually form a unit. However I am into what that team will eventually look like so I guess I'll stick it out.

I'm probably the only one here reading the current Thunderbolts series, but I have to applaud Soule for throwing in a reference to the infamous supernatural Punisher mini in this week's issue.  Got a chuckle out of me when I read it.

• Like 1

I'm probably the only one here reading the current Thunderbolts series, but I have to applaud Soule for throwing in a reference to the infamous supernatural Punisher mini in this week's issue.  Got a chuckle out of me when I read it.

I laughed too, probably harder than I should have.  Is this the first time that it's even been alluded to since Ennis took over the character fourteen or so years ago?

Has the Thunderbolts art gotten any better? I read the Infinity tie-ins and it wasn't my cup of tea. I almost want to try the New Warriors comic, but after what's happened since the end of volume 1 of the original series, I refuse to let Marvel sucker me in again.

Read, Magneto #1, Uncanny X-Men #18, and the W&TXM relaunch. Magneto and Uncanny were pretty damn good while W&TXM was incredibly BLAH.

I loved when Frank fought Ulik the Troll and got his ass kicked. He unloaded a ton of rounds into him, broke a knife in his neck and dropped some grenades. It was sweet.

Man, tell me he was just "I fight Thor, bitch."

Read Latour's first issue of Wolverine & the X-men. Idie and Quentin's relationship felt a bit more real here. The focus was also spread out enough beyond them which was somewhat of a problem with Aaron's book. The tone feels a bit different w/o Aaron's sense of humor, but I don't dislike it and the general weirdness of JGS is still very present. Asar's art, outside of the crappy redesigns of future Quire/Evan/Idie, was quite nice and felt a bit more natural than what I have seen from him in his DC work. Disappointed seeing Broo and Kid Gladiator seemingly grounded right now, but there is always potential for them later on. Its a solid start/transition. The potential is there though I think much of it is dependent on how well Latour can bring the characters to life, especially those beyond Quire and Idie. Truth be told I really wish they weren't a part of Latour's main focus as there are a number of other interesting characters to work with and build in this issue and the X-verse in general.

I was a big mark for Ellis' Thunderbolts run so I'm all in with Moon Knight.  He did the best job writing Norman Osborn during his big heel run in the Civil War/Initiative arc.  Specter is as big of a whackjob character as Osborn but with with a more antihero edge.   If Marvel can keep Ellis interested long enough to get through a few arcs this could be a lot of fun.