DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Avengers Undercover:  Good #1.  Cullen or Jennie pretty much HAD to be the impetus for this plan, though I wasn't expecting it to kick off in quite this fashion.  The bits showing how the various survivors have tried, and mostly failed, to deal with their newfound notoriety, was pretty cool.  Runaways fans may be unhappy with how Chase has been acting, though.

X-Factor: Still moving pretty slow, but this book was always gonna be more about moments and byplay than plot.  Hope it doesn't take another four issues to fill those last two ? boxes. (And yes, I know who's going to fill them.)

Avengers Undercover:  Good #1.  Cullen or Jennie pretty much HAD to be the impetus for this plan, though I wasn't expecting it to kick off in quite this fashion.  The bits showing how the various survivors have tried, and mostly failed, to deal with their newfound notoriety, was pretty cool.  Runaways fans may be unhappy with how Chase has been acting, though.

And yet

Chase is the one accusing Nico of ignoring Molly's birthday.

Kinda amused that Hopeless retconned Cammi's mom into being alive when she died in Drax's Annihilation mini. Other than that, Undercover was pretty meh to me, though Cullen destroying shit and then doing something really stupid to drag everyone else back together was pretty funny.

• 2 weeks later...

Read up to #9 of Spencer's Secret Avengers. So far I'm enjoying it well enough though the book is making me kind of hate Hill after she went up so much for me in Fraction's Iron Man. Also have to say that I really hated seeing Daisy lose her position. I liked her in Secret Warriors and was hoping to see her built up here.

Sorry for the triple post but I need to. The Superior Spider-Man #30 SPOILERS AND IMAGES FROM IT:

Superior-Spider-Man-30-Spoilers-Peter-Pa

Credit: insidepulse.com

Good seeing Peter Parker getting control of his mind and body again, that's a great final image. You knew it was coming. Even before it, I wondered what will happen to Otto Octavius as Spider-Man when it did as I really enjoyed SpOck, the majority seem to have as well.

I've felt Otto's Spidey would get a book either telling stories before the switch back as point issues or ignoring it as it's own separate book/time. The Superior Spider-Man might relaunch as a second volume like some books have. With all the books Dan Slott's writing, I doubt he'll have time to do one with Doctor Octopus as Spidey. Christopher Yost would be my choice for it. The Superior Spider-Man ends with The Superior Spider-Man #31, I suspect we'll get a bit more on Otto's fate.

Dogwelder reminded me of the one thing that had absolutely better be in Spider-Verse, and that is LEOPARDON.

Well, that's assuming that the Toei Spider-Man is in it. I can see them not including it because of (1) how obscure it is and (2) AFAIK it's Spider-Man in name only and otherwise is a standard tokusatsu series (cue J.H. for a clarification run-in).

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure if they want to use Toku-Spidey they'd have to check with Toei... or not, even I don't understand the licensing agreement on that one. Hell I'm wondering if they will use Ryoichi Ikegami Spider-Man!

James

Finished up Trial of Jean Grey. I pretty much hated this. The premise was weak and poorly written. Gladiator was completely out of character with his reasons for even going forward with the trial never being well explained. Never really felt like the X-men or Guardians ever achieved much either. We had an unexplained revival which while I like said character I really didn't feel the need for said character's return. In the end this felt like it wasted 3 issues for both series (GOTG, ANXM) to basically build up young Scott's departure which wasn't done the best despite making some sense and to build up Jean Grey gaining a new unnecessary power.

• 2 weeks later...

What's a good point to stop reading Ed Brubaker's Captain America books?  The movie has got me interested in reading at least the first few years of Bru's run.  Weird, since the movie doesn't really follow Brubaker's books aside from the Winter Soldier/Bucky concept, and I didn't really dig the movie all that much.

Anyway, looking over the trades. it looks almost everything in the first series is must read.  The 2011 reboot..... not so much.   When does Steve Rodgers return from the dead?  Issue 50 of the 2005 series?  Bucky was under the mask through at least issue the 40's.

I've heard that Bru eventually ran out of steam.  The 2011 book at least looks skippable unless you're a huge Brubaker fan  How far should I go with this?  I'm basically looking to stay with the book at least through Steve Rogers return (whenever that was).

Thanks.