DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Say what you want about the Clone Saga and Ben Reilly, but the Sensational Spider-Man costume is still one of the coolest costumes in my opinion.

I'm with you. Always liked Ben Reilly (surprised he hasn't returned) and both his Scarlet Spider-Man/Spider-Man outfits. Two of the best alternate outfits with the Black suit and the two Superior Spider-Man ones. Also fond of Kane's Scarlet Spider duds.

Say what you want about the Clone Saga and Ben Reilly, but the Sensational Spider-Man costume is still one of the coolest costumes in my opinion.

Yep. It's the costume I use for Spider-Man in Marvel Heroes.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 3) #1. The main story sees Peter Parker and as the Amazing Spider-Man back in control of himself, free from Otto Octavius’s grasp. Parker starts finding out what went on while he was gone. There are seven short stories, all but one act as teasers for present or future events: Electro in a rogues pub, Black Cat seeking revenge after what SpOck did to her, Spider-Man explaining how his abilities/gadgets work, Spider-Man 2099 in action, Peter Parker checking in on his clone, Kaine and a character called Clayton Cole watching Peter Parker wrestle and appear on a talk show from Amazing Fantasy #15. This was a great issue particularly the main story and the stories about Spider-Man’s abilities/gadgets, Parker wanting to see how Kaine is and the Clayton Cole story. I was already looking forward to the latter about Spidey’s early days in Spider-Man: Learning to Crawl and this has added to it.

The issue also contains a special bonus book, Inhuman #1. This was my first time coming across them and it has an interesting premise. I really liked this issue and it was smart adding it to The Amazing Spider-Man #1 which is going to sell a lot of issues.

Original Sin #1 was decent, but it had one infuriating conclusion jumped to.

So you have a victim who's been shot by a practiced killer with a glowing green bullet roughly the size of a human fist, and your first response is "track down Banner?" Isn't there another guy out there, same basic height as the Hulk, history of sweating radiation, military trained and all that, who has a history of waving around a revolver the size of my head? Maybe question THAT guy first.

This is cool:

http://www.newsarama.com/21054-marvel-asks-for-help-to-pick-the-best-stories-for-1200-page-75th-anniversary-omnibus.html

What say you?

I'll do my Spider-Man picks:

1. The Night Gwen Stacy Died/The Goblin’s Last Stand. The Amazing Spider-Man #121-122.

2. How Green Was My Gobin/The End of the Green Gobin. The Amazing Spider-Man #39-40.

3. Spider-Man! Amazing Fantasy #15

4. Kraven’s Last Hunt. Web of Spider-Man #31, The Amazing Spider-Man #293, Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man #131, Web of Spider-Man #32, The Amazing Spider-Man #294 and Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man #132

5. Confessions. Ultimate Spider-Man #13

6. Coming Home. The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #30-35.

7. Big Time. The Amazing Spider-Man #648-651

8. The Conversation. The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #38.

9. No One Dies. The Amazing Spider-Man #655-656.

10. Spider-Island. The Amazing Spider-Man #666-673.

Honourable mentions:

1. Death of Spider-Man. Ultimate Spider-Man #156-160.

2. Dying Wish. The Amazing Spider-Man #698-700.

3. Happy Birthday. The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #57-58/The Amazing Spider-Man #500.

4. Hero or Menace? The Superior Spider-Man #1.

5. The Aggressive Approach/Emotional Triggers. The Superior Spider-Man #4-5.

Age of Apocalypse

Annihilation

War of Kings

Thanos Imperative

Planet Hulk

Dark Angel Saga

Hickman's FF4 run

Those are what comes to mind for me right now. There is still so much I haven't read. 

Speaking of which any opinions on Atlantis Rising? I noticed the trade at my library and wondered if its worth checking out.

Uncanny X-men 171-173

Captain America  253-254

Avengers 223

Avengers 185-187

Fantastic Four 51

Incredible Hulk 315

Power Man & Iron Fist

Uncanny X-Men 190-191 (The best story that explains everythign about what makes Spider-man so great)

James

FF 249-250, 236

The Fred Hembeck FF Roast

The Kesel DD issue w Sipder-Man

Dr Strange/Dr Doom OGN

Gerber Man-Thing and Howard the Duck

tomb of dracula

What if 34 (miller DD/elektra)

Strange Tales 104

• Like 1

Did they ever put out an omnibus of the Lee/Kirby FF?

Because, really, that should take precedence over damn near everything.

A few not mentioned:

Daredevil (vol 1) #7

Amazing Spider-Man #400 (Yes, I know, the clone saga sucked, and that was a terrible decision, but it's a god damn perfect story)

The Incredible Hulk #377

I'm going to get killed for this, but

The Ultimates vol 1.

My non Spider-Man picks:

Demon in a Bottle. The Invincible Iron Man #120-129

Captain America: Winter Soldier. Captain America (Vol. 5) #1-7, 8-9, 11-14

Wolverine (Vol. 1) #1-4

Newsarama's top ten Marvel stories according to readers:

http://www.newsarama.com/21074-10-best-marvel-comics-stories-of-all-time-according-to-you-the-readers.html

Yeah, that list isn't so great.

I wouldn't even put Annihilation in there. I know this was the event that brought back Marvel Cosmic back in a big way and that's probably why it's on the list, but I liked everything that followed more than Annihilation itself.

I would probably put Earth X and Avengers Forever on the list.

I wouldn't even put Annihilation in there. I know this was the event that brought back Marvel Cosmic back in a big way and that's probably why it's on the list, but I liked everything that followed more than Annihilation itself.

Its odd I don't disagree, but I never felt anything sans Thanos Imperative actually managed to be on the same scale as Annihilation. That in addition to the rebirth of so many cosmic characters and the story of Rider's growth to major hero puts it above the other cosmic stories for me from the same period despite feeling the others were technically better.