DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Happened to me with Daken a bunch. I didn't realize how good he was, so I deleted him a bunch. Which sucks, because now I'm using him a lot and he could be leveled up much higher.

What also doesn't help is that I have a game on my ipad and a game on my phone, and I am using different characters on each. I have a **** Sue Storm and a **** X-Force Wolverine on my phone but neither on my ipad. but i've been playing my ipad longer so my * characters like Widow and Storm are 5-8 levels higher than on my phone.  I wish I could have one account which I play on both devices.

There was a big ol' sale at my comic shop o' choice and we stocked up. I haven't bought any Marvel stuff in a while. I have the first 9 issues of Superior Spider-Man, which I like, but then I got busy with work stuff, and never checked back. So I really can't say, outside of those nine issues what is going on in the MArvel Universe over the last 2-3 years. I don't know what Marvel NOW is exactly. I'm looking at a wiki page and it seems like self-contained series that eventually end? 

Anyway, I picked up Ms. Marvel(which oddly has a cover just like that #1 Super Girl comic Peter David did in 90's) and I like having a Pakistani character as the lead of a Marvel comic. Even if her name is Kamala. I think I'll stick with it until I lapse again.

The dialogue sometimes had this exposition-y tone, which was a little painfully obvious. But it was all about character building for Kamala, how she feels about her heritage and how she fits in as a high school girl. And it introduced a handful of back up characters that could serve future plotlines really well. The cliffhanger was engaging less because of what happens, but because how it looks, if that makes any sense.

She magically turns into Ms, Marvel, but she's blonde and white now - as opposed to Pakistani

Which at first seems shitty, but based on the whole book you know it was done for a positive reason.

The dialogue sometimes had this exposition-y tone, which was a little painfully obvious. But it was all about character building for Kamala, how she feels about her heritage and how she fits in as a high school girl. And it introduced a handful of back up characters that could serve future plotlines really well. The cliffhanger was engaging less because of what happens, but because how it looks, if that makes any sense.

She magically turns into Ms, Marvel, but she's blonde and white now - as opposed to Pakistani

Which at first seems shitty, but based on the whole book you know it was done for a positive reason.

She'll be back to normal sometime in the 2nd issue.  I swear I read somewhere she's later revealed to not actually Pakistani, so it'll be interesting to see how that shakes out for fan who don't follow every little news blurb on the internet

I just started reading the Avengers vs. X-Men hardcover (I know, I know, years behind) and I was surprised to see CM Punk of all people wrote the foreword.

You must have an early printing of it if it has the whole foreword. If you buy it now, the forward goes on for about 2 paragraphs and then just goes, "Fuck it. I'm going home." and there's a blank page.

• Like 3

Read the Age of Apocalypse Omnibus. One or two of the minis were a little on the weak side, but overall most of them were good. What I really dug was how well all the minis wove together to form a pretty solid and natural flowing story. Was interesting seeing just how bleak the world was. It does well in pushing why the want to fix the timeline so much despite it meaning the ending their own reality. The omega issue was fantastic. It reminded me of Gundam under Tomino with so much chaotic fighting at the end and many big characters seeing a highly painful death as the end of their story. I wasn't big on the ending of Magneto vs. Apocalypse. As much as I love Magneto, it felt like bs that he was able to pull that on someone with Apocalypse's power level though I suppose it could just be my own views of Apocalypse which are still highly painted by the 90's X-men cartoon. In general though I still think I would have preferred to see the AOA reality end during their fight opposed to the last touching moment between Magneto, Rogue, and their son. That relationship just felt weird. Overall this was great stuff, possibly the best thing I have read from X-men so far (which is only so much to be fair).

Age of Apocalypse was the biggest comic event of my life. Nothing MArvel has done since compares to it. There were just so many characters to love, and seeing them twist and turn in the face of oblivion was kind of heart wrenching at time. I remember the Colossus meltdown really affecting me. X-Men in the 90's was pretty tight in general, with some very cool stories and crossovers, that had this sweeping epic scale. 

Also the Astonishing X-Men lineup and group dynamic may be one of my favorite super teams EVER. Everyone had a distinct and voice and motivation, and Joe Mad's art was fucking badass. AoA Sunfire is one of the coolest looking X-Men of all time.

• Like 1

The gradually breakdown of Colossus was easily one of the best parts. The Astonishing Team definitely had the best dynamic of the various teams in the story.

Going through all of it I have to wonder what happened with Lobdell. His current stuff varies so much more in quality than what he wrote during AOA. I know part of it was having some of his issues, being scripted by others, but there is still plenty he does on his own in the series that is good.

So

Corsair is alive again, and time-displaced Cyclops will be getting an ongoing traveling space with him written by Greg Rucka.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this. I like Corsair, but was fine with him being dead. Also surprised to see a time-displaced Cyclops breaking away from ANXM. I kind of want to read it especially with Rucka writing, but it just feels odd.

Eh, yeah, that interests me a lot less than what that particular character has been doing.  And the choice of writer for a sci-fi series seems odd.

Bendis suggested him because he has a son about Scott's age. Frankly, Rucka's one of the very best comic writers of the last twenty years so I'm cool with whatever he wants to do for Marvel.

• Like 1

Avenging Spider-Man #19. Christopher Yost has SpOck battling against a fear-worm and has to face his fears. Sleepwalker gets involved. This was a very good issue looking at Otto Octavius’s profile and amusing in parts. I look forward to reading this title ever since Avenging Spider-Man #15.1.

Avenging Spider-Man #20 is written by Christopher Yost. SpOck has a plan to free Chameleon from S.H.I.E.L.D. but he didn’t account for complications. This was a really good issue and has the customary funny dialogue from SpOck I get in this title. This story is the first of two parts and it ends on a great tease for the second part.

Decided to check out some more Marvel stuff. Was looking at the racks and had no idea what to get. I was thinking about trying to catch up on X-Men, but then I read the primer page for All New X-Men...and I had to reread it again....and again. Something about the original X-Men time traveling and getting stuck in the present doesn't sound super interesting to me. I'm not a huge Bendis fan, so I'm not sure if I want to read his take on them anyway. Any thoughts on the X-Books and which ones are worth reading?

I did pick up Black Widow #1 and Punisher #1, which I didn't realize were written by the same guy, until I noticed a similar comedic beat in both books. I liked them both okay, though. I know he's in LA now, but is there a reason why people don't know Frank is The Punisher? I thought that was common knowledge.

Bendis' x-books have been okay.

The x-book w Nightcrawler that just started is good. aaron is writing that one.

At the moment, my order of marvel recommendations would be:

Superior Foes of Spider-man - very funny and only upto issue 8

Daredevil - rebooting soon w new 1

Mighty Avengers - street level team led by luke Cage - only up to issue 5 or so

Hawkeye

Ms Marvel - just started - main char is a Pakistani-American teen girl

Avenging Spider-Man #21 by Christopher Yost carries on the arc from the last issue as SpOck didn’t count for unexpected circumstances while trying to release Chameleon from S.H.I.E.L.D. A very good issue with some SpOck lines making me chuckle.

Avenging Spider-Man #22 by Christopher Yost sees the Superior Spider-Man crossing paths with Mysterio, the Punisher and somebody else who I won’t spoil. A very good issue with some lines by SpOck made me laugh. I found out a few weeks ago this was the final issue of the series which is a shame as I really enjoyed reading all the Otto Octavius as Spider-Man stories from it (#15.1-22).

Like the sound of this:

May 2014 will see a five-part story called The Amazing Spider-Man Year One: Learning to Crawl that will run side-by-side with the main Amazing Spider-Man series. Released as a five-part mini-series with numbering of Amazing Spider-Man 1.1 to 1.5 from May to September, the series is meant to be a story for young Peter Parker and Spider-Man that fills in some of the blanks of his earliest adventures. Dan Slott is writing both series concurrently, with art on the mini-series by Ramon Perez, and covers by Alex Ross.

"When you're looking at things in those issues, you're going: 'Wait a minute! How did this happen? How did he get this? Where did this come from? Why didn't Aunt May ever wonder about that?'" Slott told The AP. "You start looking at it closer and closer and you go, 'There's a story here that we're not seeing.' A very pivotal and crucial story that lovingly respects everything that went on but tells you more, so much more about Spider-Man and so much more about Peter Parker."

The villain for the story, which takes place between the pages of the early Amazing Spider-Man comics by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko, will be a new one, and one that is Peter's peer, in both age and focus.

Credit: newsarama.com