DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

I haven't checked it out yet. I feel like Kurt might be a good character for Claremont in 2014, but the guy is a mess of his own kinks and crazy exposition. 

They just announced Sam Humphries on Legendary Star-Lord which could be quite good.

From the Spider-Verse panel at C2E2, here are some of the confirmed Spider-Men appearing in Spider-Verse.

Spider-Man from the cartoons.

Peter Porker, Spider-Ham

Electric Company Spider-Man

Miles Morales, Ultimate Spider-Man

A new British Spider-Man who Dan Slott says UK folk will be cosplaying as for years (Judge Spider?), as well as 1602′s Peter Parqhar.

Japanese TV Spiderman

Spider-Woman and Arana

Ben Reilly Spider-Man

An assassin Spider-Man whose webshooters shoot bullets from What If: Spider-Man Vs Wolverine by Jeff Parker, Paul Tobin and Clayton Henry.

But there will be no Sony cinematic Spider-Man versions.

And Spider-Boy from Amalgam is legally iffy.

From the Spider-Verse panel at C2E2, here are some of the confirmed Spider-Men appearing in Spider-Verse.

Spider-Man from the cartoons.

Peter Porker, Spider-Ham

Electric Company Spider-Man

Miles Morales, Ultimate Spider-Man

A new British Spider-Man who Dan Slott says UK folk will be cosplaying as for years (Judge Spider?), as well as 1602′s Peter Parqhar.

Japanese TV Spiderman

Spider-Woman and Arana

Ben Reilly Spider-Man

An assassin Spider-Man whose webshooters shoot bullets from What If: Spider-Man Vs Wolverine by Jeff Parker, Paul Tobin and Clayton Henry.

But there will be no Sony cinematic Spider-Man versions.

And Spider-Boy from Amalgam is legally iffy.

Spider-Man from the cartoons? So hoping we get the Spectacular Spider-Man TV animated series, the best adaptation of Spidey outside the comics.

A new British Spidey, interesting.

Ben Reilly Spider-Man. Long time coming, happy about that.

Superior Spider-Man has to make it, be surprised if SpOck doesn't.

Spider-Verse is probably the Spider-Man story I'm most looking forward to for the premise and the villain.

So Marvel finally released the updated Marvel Unlimited app for Android. I haven't gotten around to trying out the soundtrack or the in-app AR features but overall it's a pretty big improvement. The start up time to read a comic is longer than before but brings a smoother experience when actually reading the comic. So far I've yet to have any of the semi-common instances where I'd start a comic only to get the preview version and have to close out and reopen till I got the full version. The smart panel feature seems to be really good on newer comics but horrible on older ones. I was reading a Black Panther issue and the smart panel basically missed some panels completely but reading an issue of Ultimate Comics Spider-Man was extremely smooth. That said I don't think there is a whole lot of need for it as the resolution of comics is good enough that I could easily read a full page display on my Moto X which doesn't have the biggest screen out there. The best feature though? When you finish reading a comic it prompts you to read the next issue.  

On the other hand I have to say that I hate the updated Marvel AR app. It's now useless unless you are a current Marvel reader. Limiting the app to the last few months of comics seems a really weird and unfriendly direction to go with things. The comic business is pretty heavily tied to their back catalogs and I assume that Marvel's collections have been having AR material in them too, so to make people have to go to the website to access old AR videos seems to defeat the purpose of the AR concept.

So apparently Wolverine's going to be "dying" soon.  And while nobody with a brain could possibly believe it's permanent, at least he won't be overexposed for a while.

The news has been out for few months now. I haven't been reading the current ongoing where its supposed to be going down so I have no idea if its anything even being set well. I'm actually a kind of annoyed to be honest as I really don't want this affecting the books I currently read with Wolverine in them.

I think we are almost past the point where people complain about death not being permanent. Almost.

That's what the Ultimate universe is for, as we go into the third or fourth Ultimate re-alignment.

That's the best thing about the Ultimate Universe: they aren't afraid to kill major characters. And mostly keep them dead.

Now HOW they kill them is a big fucking problem, but still....

So all three of Hickman's Avengers books came out today, as well as the final AI. Avengers AI is probably the most disappointing Marvel comic I can remember in the past year; I liked the concept and Humphries has done some pretty solid work at times, but the plot as a whole was just dumb, Jocasta seemed wildly out of character once she showed up and the art never worked for me at all. I hope Hank and Vision land somewhere soon.

Vanilla Avengers was simultaneously the best issue Hickman's put forth in a while and totally infuriating. I really liked the conversation, but it wasn't enough to overcome the super anticlimactic ending of the arc and my general trend toward disinterest. Unless Hank Pym fills one of those empty bubbles on the depth chart, I'm probably done with this until May 2015. (I'm not reading New or World, so I can't comment on either of them)

The confirmation of Toku Spidey makes me very happy. I wonder how they're going to differentiate Electric Company/Super Stories Spidey, though; his gimmick on TV was that he spoke in word balloons to teach kids to read.

Man, I was such a Spider-Man maniac when I was a kid I had subscriptions to Amazing, Marvel Team Up, Marvel Tales, and even Spidey Super Stories. For some reason I didn't have one for Peter Parker The Spectacular Spider-Man. I'd pick those up at the drug store. Anyway, SSS was a fun little book that was completely simple and done for kids who had just learned to read.

Avengers #28. This was probably one of my favorite issues under Hickman's run so far. Its much closer to his New Avengers with things being purely about the characters in a tension filled discussion between Tony and Bruce. It does well connecting to what is going on in New Avengers showing a bit of what is being one of creatures they are facing.

New Avengers #17. More focus on the Justice League analog, the Great Society, facing incursions in their own universe and the beginnings of a repaired Black Panther/Namor relationship. it will be interesting seeing the Illuminati comes to blows with the Great Society as the latter is giving their all to fight for their world while trying to remain strong and keep to their morals while the Illuminati are gradually going to darker and darker places to keep their world alive.

Yeah, I was thinking of you.

I'm sure there have to be some costumes missing, though.

Cheers (out of likes).

The Amazing Spider-Man look from The Amazing Spider-Man: Ends of the Earth (2012) isn't there...

tumblr_m8il0xF8t21rrlc5m.png

Spider-Man_(Ends_of_the_Earth).jpg

The Superior Spider-Man's first costume (2013) is missing:

Superior_Spider-Man_Version_1.jpg

superiorspiderman_5_txqjei.jpg

I like both Superior Spider-Man costumes but prefer the first.

• Like 2