DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Considering these are all new to me, which of these are any good?

House of M

Secret War

Decimation

Avengers Dissasembled

tumbleweeds01.jpg

Is that a general no on all of them then?

Any other cross-storylines actually worth checking out, or are they always pants?

For events: Annihilation and its sequels are good is good. 

The way it usually works, though, is that the tie-ins are good, or at least a lot of them are, but the main book is a victim of bloated necessities and pacing issues. House of M had good ideas, a strong first issue, and some decent emotional stuff, but the actual comic itself was pretty terrible. Decimation was really unfocused and had some fun stuff like the Sentinel Squad mini series but is ultimately depressing and more of a means to an end than an end in and of itself. Disassembled is worse. The Thor stuff is good. The Avengers stuff is the worst thing Bendis' ever wrote. Iron Man is hugely disappointing since it just ripped apart the really interesting Secretary of Defense status quo. Secret War is all flash and no substance. 

Last thought before bed is on (all new) X-Factor #2:

Liked it better than the first one, even though I'm not sure it was actually a better comic. It was nice to see PAD pick up Quicksilver threads from the Son of M period; as much as I liked the Pietro/Jeanne-Marie relationship from Avengers Academy, the way he was shunted from X-Factor to the Avengers books meant that a lot of crazy was never addressed before. I still have no real interest in anyone else in the book (assuming the three ?s are, as predicted, Warlock, Cypher and Danger) but it's a fun read and there are far worse ways to spend four bucks. I haven't decided whether to keep with it, though; my subscription to Marvel Unlimited makes it a LOT harder to justify buying ANY $4 Marvel book, even if it's a lower-tier title that needs all the help it can get. I am still thoroughly weirded out to be enjoying a book where Gambit is the POV character, as I have pretty consistently disliked him ever since his original softening when they decided to keep him around as a permanent fixture instead of an occasional guest star and possible traitor.

Avengers 25 has probably convinced me to drop the book. Nothing to do with the AN AVENGER DIES! bit, and everything to do with the fact that I just don't give a shit about anything happening. I'll probably read it when MCU gets to this point in a year or so, but it isn't worth my four bucks over X-Factor or indie stuff.

This is exactly how I feel about this Avengers run, I wanted to care so much, but I just couldn't.  Infinity was the last straw for me, it was just so unfocused and over written.  It just so much plot with so little character progression.

I slogged through Infinity last week and it just felt like nothing worthwhile ever happened.

Avengers 25 has probably convinced me to drop the book. Nothing to do with the AN AVENGER DIES! bit, and everything to do with the fact that I just don't give a shit about anything happening. I'll probably read it when MCU gets to this point in a year or so, but it isn't worth my four bucks over X-Factor or indie stuff.

This is exactly how I feel about this Avengers run, I wanted to care so much, but I just couldn't.  Infinity was the last straw for me, it was just so unfocused and over written.  It just so much plot with so little character progression.

I slogged through Infinity last week and it just felt like nothing worthwhile ever happened.

Yeah, they basically made a galactic war with a unstoppable race, and one of the most powerful villains in the entire Marvel universe a dull, uneventful, bore of an event that did nothing but make the villains look like intergalactic bitches. 

Yeah, they basically made a galactic war with a unstoppable race, and one of the most powerful villains in the entire Marvel universe a dull, uneventful, bore of an event that did nothing but make the villains look like intergalactic bitches. 

One group annihilated planets and for a little bit had half the galaxy kneeling before them. They were only defeated because of deus ex machina while Thanos practically took over earth and was only able to be defeated by his own son. Its fine if you didn't enjoy the event but don't come out with blatant bs about the villains looking weak.

One group annihilated planets and for a little bit had half the galaxy kneeling before them. They were only defeated because of deus ex machina while Thanos practically took over earth and was only able to be defeated by his own son. Its fine if you didn't enjoy the event but don't come out with blatant bs about the villains looking weak.

Allow me to retort, I didn't want to get too deep into it because of spoilers, but then I remembered that there is a way to deal with that sort of thing.

The group that annihilated planets were built up as an unstoppable force that couldn't be stopped, until all of a sudden they were stopped. Thanos and his super cool Cull Obsidian were running around kicking ass until his son, who was introduced in underwhelming way, didn't really defeat him, but basically froze him in carbonite. They looked like bitches because as big, bad, and unstoppable they were built up as from the beginning, they both went out with a wimper. The Builders were bad ass motherfuckers killing entire planets, until Thor killed one of them, then all of a sudden everyone could kill them. Thanos and his group convinced entire planets to behead their next generation of males, but they got to earth and were beaten by some dude, that just happened to be Thanos' son. The whole thing seemed like it was a whole lot of build up to what essentially was a dud of a payoff. The villains were supposed to be unstoppable, but neither of them really did anything to anyone that the readers cared about. The biggest revalation was Black Bolt setting off the Terrigen bomb, which it came out that he was planning to do any way. So two wars, two sets of unstoppable villains, and nothing happened that wouldn't have happened any way.

Allow me to retort, I didn't want to get too deep into it because of spoilers, but then I remembered that there is a way to deal with that sort of thing.

The group that annihilated planets were built up as an unstoppable force that couldn't be stopped, until all of a sudden they were stopped. Thanos and his super cool Cull Obsidian were running around kicking ass until his son, who was introduced in underwhelming way, didn't really defeat him, but basically froze him in carbonite. They looked like bitches because as big, bad, and unstoppable they were built up as from the beginning, they both went out with a wimper. The Builders were bad ass motherfuckers killing entire planets, until Thor killed one of them, then all of a sudden everyone could kill them. Thanos and his group convinced entire planets to behead their next generation of males, but they got to earth and were beaten by some dude, that just happened to be Thanos' son. The whole thing seemed like it was a whole lot of build up to what essentially was a dud of a payoff. The villains were supposed to be unstoppable, but neither of them really did anything to anyone that the readers cared about. The biggest revalation was Black Bolt setting off the Terrigen bomb, which it came out that he was planning to do any way. So two wars, two sets of unstoppable villains, and nothing happened that wouldn't have happened any way.

The Builders were perfectly beatable/killable beforehand. The problem was many were giving up before even trying after seeing them take out planets. The entire point of Thor's attack was to get those who were giving up before trying to understand that the Builders were mortal and beatable. The biggest reason the Builders were winning was because they were attacking planets in full force and would go to destroying planets with suicide bombers when they couldn't win. It was more a fear game and how far they were willing to go than being actual badasses. I wasn't big on the Builders ending, but I don't really it ended on whimper. I thought the payoff of their defeat was fine. I can see the argument on Thanos due to Thane's weak build, but the story was building to the type of ending we got regardless.

The Builders were perfectly beatable/killable beforehand. The problem was many were giving up before even trying after seeing them take out planets. The entire point of Thor's attack was to get those who were giving up before trying to understand that the Builders were mortal and beatable. The biggest reason the Builders were winning was because they were attacking planets in full force and would go to destroying planets with suicide bombers when they couldn't win. It was more a fear game than actual power. I thought the payoff of their defeat was fine. I can see the argument on Thanos due to Thane's weak build, but the story was building to the type of ending we got regardless.

Hi

• Like 1

I started reading Wolverine & the X-Men for the first time and this book is fucking great. I'm about 15 issues in and I've laughed out loud on about 5 desperate occasions. I started it to read stories of Iceman and Kitty Pryde, but now I'm finding myself really digging the students two of them imparticular. First, Broo. He's just so adorable. And I love his eternal optimism. Secondly, Quentin Quire. This guy is just the fucking best. The panel with him sunbathing with a sign that said "Send more Sentinels" is when I really feel for him.

I also want a "Send more Sentinels" shirt badly.

The most recent two parter for W&tXM was really good. They'll have something that's not great and then bring it back in for a couple of really good issues. I don't think it ever quite lived up to the potential of the first couple of issues, though. Still a very good book all in all.

It's good, but it's hard to justify $6 rather than wait for TPBs.  It's about 25 pages of Moore/Leach and 3 Anglo stories, plus interviews with Leach and Anglo.  The pacing in the Moore/Leach story is such that it feels like you're paying six bucks for prologue.

The Moore-written stuff is worth paying $6 for, but, yeah, the way it's paced, you might want to wait for trade. 

I still have the Moore issues packed away.  I quit reading comics sometime during the Gaiman/Buckingham stint, so I'll probably pick up the book when it gets to that point.