DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Finished AoU.  I hope Bendis got sent to his room for that shit and that's why his X-Men, while not blowing me away, is at least readable.

Avengers AI had better pick up after the time skip to 10,000 years in the future.  Because right now, my pathological need to read a book with Hank Pym in it is the only thing keeping me reading it, and there aren't nearly enough people with that problem to justify its existence.

The crying Doom was Romita Jr's idea. 

And I liked it and thought it worked. In this obviously out of continuity story, a comic book world villain sheds tears when faced with real life evil. People who say "Magneto and Doom have done worse." don't really get the point. I loved that issue, it made me weep like a baby and still does when I read it now.

• Like 1

The crying Doom was Romita Jr's idea. 

And I liked it and thought it worked. In this obviously out of continuity story, a comic book world villain sheds tears when faced with real life evil. People who say "Magneto and Doom have done worse." don't really get the point. I loved that issue, it made me weep like a baby and still does when I read it now.

I get the point, I think its stupid. I don't appreciate real world shit intruding on fantasy. 

• Like 1

My random thought for the day, after reading about a hundred pages or so of the Age of Apocalypse Omnibus... Magneto & Rogue as a couple is really fucking weird. And a villain named Holocaust, in a story about armageddon, where the "hero" is a jew... damn, Marvel.

My random thought for the day, after reading about a hundred pages or so of the Age of Apocalypse Omnibus... Magneto & Rogue as a couple is really fucking weird. 

I want to say those seeds for romance were made in the Claremont/Silvestri Uncanny X-Men  or maybe it was Lee at the time.  When Magneto in the Savage Land helped to repower Rogue who had lost her powers

Superior Spider-man: No Escape. Smythe's final escape attempt and how Octavius finally took him down was pretty fun. I particularly dug Jameson during a lot of the story. I was however not too pleased with Connor's already revealing his personality is intact. It felt like a waste here as it really couldn't have gone anywhere considering the focus of the plot. I do like how the cracks are starting to show more with Octavius. It does however still feel like a good chunk of the cast are sort of dumb for not realizing something is up.

Young Avengers: Style>Substance. This was decent enough. I don't really care for Hulking or Wiccan, but they didn't really hurt anything either. Miss America Chavez was far less annoying under Gillen's pen than her creator's, and there seems to be some interesting hints behind her actual story and where she came from. Loki is always fun under Gillen. You just know he is plottign something, but you're not quite sure what. I also like that there is some minor residual of the actual younger Loki still weighing on his conscience. I liked Kate's and Noh-Varr's little relationship. Its nothign grand, but they have some fun chemistry together. The main plot isn't bad, but its not really doign it for me. Pretty decent read overall.

Superior Spider-man: No Escape. Smythe's final escape attempt and how Octavius finally took him down was pretty fun. I particularly dug Jameson during a lot of the story. I was however not too pleased with Connor's already revealing his personality is intact. It felt like a waste here as it really couldn't have gone anywhere considering the focus of the plot. I do like how the cracks are starting to show more with Octavius. It does however still feel like a good chunk of the cast are sort of dumb for not realizing something is up.

The library has this on order and I'm first. Hopefully I'll read it that way, if not The Astonishing Spider-Man which is a UK magazine publishing Spidey stories currently on The Superior Spider-Man #8 Your last point is a good one which I feel. You have to try and switch that off.

My random thought for the day, after reading about a hundred pages or so of the Age of Apocalypse Omnibus... Magneto & Rogue as a couple is really fucking weird. 

I want to say those seeds for romance were made in the Claremont/Silvestri Uncanny X-Men  or maybe it was Lee at the time.  When Magneto in the Savage Land helped to repower Rogue who had lost her powers

Yeah it was right near the end and was never really expanded on. But fans and later writers became fixated on it. 

I was surprised reading the final Claremont Essential, to find out he was not the one to pair up Gambit and Rogue. 

$$$$$$$$$$$$

Star Wars comics are heading back "home" to Marvel Comics in 2015, Marvel, Disney, and Lucasfilm announced Friday afternoon.

I want a Punisher/Jar Jar team-up versus Jabba/Deadpool.

And a Beast/Chewbacca team-up versus The Brood.

And an Avengers cross-over just so they can do a cover with Captain America punching The Emperor in the face.