DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

One thing i especially loved about DD is how Waid effortlessly works things in. If this was written in the height of the Jemas era, we might have still gotten a story that hit this mark, but it costs nothing to bring in the Sons of the Serpent and it adds a lot. It's just a great mix of big concept storytelling, solid execution, and an embrace of the sandbox instead of seeing it as a hindrance. All of Marvel is basically like that right now and has been for the last few years.

I'm buying UA, W&TX, X-men, and Avengers at the moment. I'm also reading Thor, Hulk, UXM, AXM, and FF4 (my brother buys the books). I'm really loving UA and Thor right now. Aaron does a fantastic job of making Thor feel epic.

I just never seem to be able to care about Marvel for long stretches of time.

It's funny, Marvel isn't doing anything that really bothers me (Hell, even the one long-standing thing is currently gone with the fact that, as I understand it, Peter is dead, so his deal with the devil doesn't even matter right now) but I'm still more likely to binge on some random DC book than I am to read anything Marvel is doing, no matter how much Matt tells me it's great.

I do really need to catch up on Waid's DD though.  One of my favorite writers, my favorite Marvel character, book was really good when I was reading it...  Yeah, I should do that.  Someday.

So, Nico Minoru died, then un-died in record time. Surprise.

That's basically all I know about Avengers Arena, other then that they are already working on un-killing everyone off.

Spoiler tags are sometimes nice for things like this, just saying.

So my fast review of Avengers AI and the AoU/AI bridge book is "enh."  AvAI felt like it was missing something, and the bridge book had massive problems for me both because I don't like the idea of Hank blaming all his life's problems on "me and everyone else trying to restrain my creativity" and because the results we saw of that creativity were so legitimately world-changing crazy.  A physics prof friend of mine pointed out that the perfectly cubical free floating bubbles would be a Nobel prize guaranteed and a huge change to the way fluid dynamics theory works.  I'll probably stick with AI for at least a few more issues, but so far it hasn't really grabbed me.

I bought the Waid story a lot more than you did. I think he tried to figure out how to unlock Hank and him being the kooky imaginative scientist that might have been played by Cary Grant is sort of fun. I want to see where it's going. I didn't get to AI yet.

I just never seem to be able to care about Marvel for long stretches of time.

It's funny, Marvel isn't doing anything that really bothers me (Hell, even the one long-standing thing is currently gone with the fact that, as I understand it, Peter is dead, so his deal with the devil doesn't even matter right now) but I'm still more likely to binge on some random DC book than I am to read anything Marvel is doing, no matter how much Matt tells me it's great.

I do really need to catch up on Waid's DD though.  One of my favorite writers, my favorite Marvel character, book was really good when I was reading it...  Yeah, I should do that.  Someday.

Read Young Avengers.The guys who do Phonogram writing teen heroes (who enjoy being heroes) with two strong female protagonists and as close to a Scott Pilgrim tone as Marvel could hit. It's super awesome.