DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Got Superior Foes of Spider-Man #1 on a whim after hearing so many people talk it up.  It's really fun, and shows that maybe it was too soon to write off Spencer as a WFH talent.  (Though I still won't be picking up Secret Avengers.)  They really need to grab Blizzard or Atlas just to add one more Thunderbolts washout.

The Mighty Thor issues of "Everything Burns" went $1.99 on Comixology so I was finally able to finish reading Gillen's Journey into Mystery and god it's amazing. The combination of all the pieces coming together followed by the punch of the final issue. I suppose reading Your Avengers prior to this somewhat spoiled things but certainly didn't lessen anything. So good, so very good.

The mystery of Shatterstar and Longshot's connection has been revealed! They...

are technically each other's father. Time paradox~!

I still can't decide if I actually like All-New X-Men or not.  It's a little too smart ass for my tastes, and Jean comes off as a sort of God Mode Sue for Bendis, especially in this issue with the "sorry, only been a psychic for five minutes" jokes.

Although anyone who gets pissed at Sabretooth's treatment in this issue needs to remember that he was once the victim of a no-holds barred beatdown by The Black Cat of all people back in the late 80's in Spectacular Spider-Man.

I also wouldn't put it past Bendis to write a plot where Jean offers herself to Wolverine and Logan resists at first, given that Grey is 16 again, but then realizes that he used to bone 13-year old girls in the Victorian/Edwardian Era when that was "acceptable" (even though it really wasn't) and have him go for a role in the hay.

Marvel finally did another wave of price cuts on Comixology, which means i will finally get to read Daredevil #18-21..  As someone with a very limited budget at the moment, it frustrates me that they're unwilling to go on a set schedule for digital price cuts like every other publisher.  The end result is not me breaking down and buying something at full price, the end result is me buying that issue of Saga or Transformers instead, knowing exactly when its price will drop, and waiting as long as it takes.  (I could also complain about how erratic the MUO archive updates are, but if I'm going to pay $60 a year I figure I don't get to complain *too* much if Deadpool is less behind than Uncanny Avengers, given that I couldn't spend money on either of them anyway.)

i would read an ongoing Human Torch series. the original android, not the Johnny Storm version.

was the reaction to "Fear Itself" pretty terrible? i really liked it (like i do most major events) but they usually seem to upset everybody. Probably due to me not following the monthly titles.

The mystery of Shatterstar and Longshot's connection has been revealed! They...

are technically each other's father. Time paradox~!

At first I read this as "Shatterstar and Rictor," and for a second I mourned the loss of the Comics Code.

Read a Dan Slott interview yesterday and I didn't know this:

Finally, I've noticed something in terms of sales in this book. I believe congratulations are in order because "Superior Spider-Man" is Marvel's best-selling ongoing title. How does that feel?

It feels great that people are supporting all the hard work Humberto, Ryan, Giuseppe, Victor, Edgar, Antonio, Chris, Ellie, Steve and everybody on the team is putting into this title. It's tough putting out a twice a month book, and everyone gives it their all. It feels good that it's getting out there and people are invested in it.

Credit: comicbookresources.com

Read Secret Avengers vol 2. Skipped the AvX tie-in issues and went into the main story of the volume dealing with new Masters of Evil and the crown. I loved the focus on Ant-Man (Eric) and Flash. It was great seeing the two get the big heroic moment taking on so many and saving the day. I also thought the conversations between the two were quite fun and nice looks into their characters. I did feel the epilogue with Widow calling out Eric for being a LMD was odd though. Considering the inconsistencies pointed out of how Eric escaped the mind control and with his miraculous survival earlier against the Descendants I'm not really sure how everyone could ignore Natasha's claims. It made the team look like a morons and felt like a bs moment from what is otherwise usually solid writing from Remender. Other than that This was a good read.

Could someone post the reading order to modern Marvel Cosmic again? Someone was kind of enough to do so on the last board and like an idiot I only saved the link instead jotting it down somewhere on notepad or something.

Uncanny X-men #9 continued the mixed feelings the Bendis X-books have been giving me. The writing is pretty solid, but I really do hate some of representations he gives of characters and organizations. He really plays the Scott's team is in the right card way too much not offering any sort of actual balance to the people he uses as antagonists. Its quite annoying as it makes their personalities off and makes them look like massive jackasses/morons. I also have to say what he did at the end of the issue kind of pissed me off.

I'm not even a big fan of character since I only know her so well, but killing off Dazzler after making a big deal of her in interviews was such an asinine move. Its made worse by the fact that he went out of his to make her look so bad before killing her. I will say that he does seem to at least have something interesting planned with Mystique.

Also read Indestructible Hulk #11. This seems to be dealing with the fallout of Age of Ultron. The issue is mostly set up, but it does seem to show some interesting potential. Also sort of explains why there is nothing with Red She-Hulk happening at the moment.