DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

I just finished up Greg Rucka's run on Punisher last night. For a while now I've thought Rucka didn't really have much to say about Frank, and I think I was right in the end. This series ultimately wasn't really Frank's story much as it is Rachel Cole Alves's story. Rucka does a great job building up Rachel as character with her clearly having a real interest and skill for Frank's mission, but also having clear emotional problems that it will eventually (and do) lead to her making a mistakes that cost lives. The Enter the War Zone mini was a good swan song for Frank. We finally see him go too far for one of EMH, and it brings the Avengers down on his head. Its actually all pretty nice as Frank does his best matching up against each Avengers, but the story really does ultimately build to the fact that he is screwed here. Frank can only distract Widow and retreat. He has no chance against Thor. And Frank can only play Tony and Peter's arrogance against them for so long. I also dug how the how story showed Cap as a strategist. Its probably the smartest I have seen Rogers look in the little I have read of him so far. The parts focusing on Rachel are quite nice, and I love where they ultimately lead for her in taking over Castle's mission. This was probably the best way one could rest Frank's character for a bit while also managing to create a legacy for the Punisher. Its really good stuff all in all. Its shame Rucka wasn't able to follow up on and deliver a few more stories with Rachel.

I don't know the group too well, but I already figured what Cliff was sad over when I saw that even before I read the issue (just finished). I'm kind of annoyed Hickman did that. It was a bit dickish though as far as I can tell the group seemingly hasn't gotten much love in general in recent times.

I thought the actual issue itself was solid even if it was all about setting the stage.

Wolverine & The X-Men was my personal preference. Followed by Cable & X-Force. I'm not that into the Bendis X-Men books so far. And while I absolutely LOVED Hickman's FF run, his Avengers/Infinity thing isn't really doing it for me.

Been reading the Jim Valentino Guardians of the galaxy for the past week. Up to #20 and so far I like it. The series does a decent job developing the universe and various races and threats the group comes into contact with. I also really like the group dynamic and growth Valentino gives to various members like Vance, Aleta, and Yondu. Nikki might be my favorite character int he series. I love her spunk and general personality, especially with how she screws with poor Charlie. I'm kind of disappointed with the direction Valentino went in for mutants in terms of them pretty much dying out as a species and the few born being evil. I did enjoy the stuff with the Protege and the Universal Church. Also dug the return to Earth and changes made to the planet during the Guardians absence. Looking forward to reading more.

Been reading the Jim Valentino Guardians of the galaxy for the past week. Up to #20 and so far I like it. The series does a decent job developing the universe and various races and threats the group comes into contact with. I also really like the group dynamic and growth Valentino gives to various members like Vance, Aleta, and Yondu. Nikki might be my favorite character int he series. I love her spunk and general personality, especially with how she screws with poor Charlie. I'm kind of disappointed with the direction Valentino went in for mutants in terms of them pretty much dying out as a species and the few born being evil. I did enjoy the stuff with the Protege and the Universal Church. Also dug the return to Earth and changes made to the planet during the Guardians absence. Looking forward to reading more.

That was one of the most important comics of my youth.

Also, Re: Aaron there's a great looking tpb coming out the newest solicits with all of his early Wolverine work, which is all quite good.

Jason Aaron (in particular his Wolverine run) is growing on me.  I have thought about Wolverine & The X Men

Really digging his Thor run. 

Have you read the end of the Gorr/Godbomb arc yet? I thought it was pretty fantastic. Aaron's Thor is the best comic I'm currently reading from Marvel. I really loved the levels he brought Thor to in this arc and how it all played out as a mythological epic.

Up through issue 7 of Avengers Arena, and BOY am I glad I'm not reading it "live."  Ending #6 like that, then doing an all-flashback issue?  That's just cruel.  (And yes, I know about the cruelty of the issue 10-12 gap; at the time I spoiled that for myself, I wasn't intending to read the series.)

The stuff up to Savage Six is pretty good. Haven't read anything else yet. This is disappointing news, but not surprising. Really wish Flash was in another book not named Thunderbolts. I would have preferred him in Avengers to Spider-man if I'm being honest.

Up to #39 of the original Guardians of the Galaxy series. Hadn't realized Valentino left the book after #26. I liked that Valentino tried to go out on something big using Surfer, Firelord, & Galactus, but the actual story didn't do much for me. It just felt convoluted. The annual creating the Galactic Guardians didn't do much for me either. I'm not really sure why the need for a different name either as all members were already pretty much members of GotG active or otherwise. The team actually feels a bit overpowered with two massive cosmic powers (Phoenix and Firelord), a large supernatural power (Ghost Rider), and Hollywood Wonder Man. I actually ended up enjoying the Gallagher issues more. The return to the past led to some decent stories. I liked Stakar's story finishing up with Aleta being freed up again. The Bubonicus story did little for me, but I enjoyed the battle against Dormammu and the consequences that came from it. Also dug Yellowjacket joining the team. She fit right in, and I already am digging the friendship she and Nikki are forming. The finish to Doom's takeover of Earth and Rancor also wasn't too bad though I do have to admit it doesn't feel like Gallagher knows how to properly write Doom in a fight the way he had Doom taking on Rancor hand to hand. Doom is a genius, has tons of tech, is sorcerer and he is going to lower himself to fight a beast like Rancor hand to hand? Uhm...no. Actually I'm really annoyed Rancor is still alive up to this point. She doesn't really have depth and isn't not terribly bright. I fine with her in a story up to this point, but its sort of ridiculous that the Guardians would save her from Doom considering how dangerous they considered her. Its not like they are against killing. Anyways despite my complaints I'm still enjoying the series and am looking forward to seeing the rest of what Gallagher brought to the table.