DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

X-Factor had the best segment of FotM by a mile. Moved the Apocalypse story ahead and fleshed him out a bit, introduced Archangel and my favorite version of the X-Fac uniform.

Their Mutant Massacre crossover issues were the better ones as well.

I thought the same as well far as Mutant Massacre is concerned,

I haven't read them in a long time and I'm uncertain how well that they may have aged, but I remember the Thor issues were wonderfully cathartic in the midst of the horror and despair of that whole crossover (notwithstanding the "Merry Marvel Mutant Massacre Crossover Map" thing...).  Thor comes in, rescues Angel, and then proceeds to - literally in one case - bash in people's skulls, before calling down lightning to funeral pyre all of the Morlock bodies in the sewers.  Taking into account their involvement with X-Factor, Thor and Power Pack, the Simonsons did come of that whole crossover looking pretty good.

• Like 1

I wasn't sure, but at the same time I did not want to ruin a really cool story. The amputation issues were some dark stuff. My least favorite part of later Claremont era X-Books was the Cameron Hodge mega push. I never bought him as a villain big enough to give all three teams trouble. Slime ball business man, he is fine. Secret money man behind The Right, he was great. But big giant unkillable cyborg. Not so much. 

• Like 2

It's 27 years old, you're fine Vic.

He got his wings back at some point

Jokes don't work in print sometimes :(

My humor sensor has been defective since a new co-worker started in February.  Now I'm just angry all the time.

• Like 1

Read Spider-man: Danger Zone. I thought the Alpha story went by a bit too quick though I dug the hell out of the actual story itself. I liked the general idea of Pete being the one responsible for creating Alpha and the general idea of Alpha being what Pete would have become w/o Uncle Ben. It was a good story. It created a new character with potential to grow, and gave insight into Pete himself and why Uncle Ben, particularly his death was so important for Peter becoming areal hero. I can see why Slott wanted to this story before he started Superior. It was something as far as I know not really done before that he likely won't be able to do after Superior Spider-man is done. The Hobgoblns story was pretty neat. It was fun and gave some payoff to several plots Slott had been running. I really loved what Slott did with Kingsley, having him essentially franchising villains. I'm a little surprised no one else has tried to pick up on what is pretty awesome plot element you can build on. Anyways I thought this was a good read overall. Slott does well continuing to build Peter up for the ultimate fall while also moving forward several characters and plots in interesting ways.

Was surprised at how much I liked BOTA #1. It was nice to see the Uncanny team and the O5 team not care about whatever philosophical differences they may have and just kick the shit out of some Sentinels. Pretty funny that they manage to work together just fine when neither Wolverine or Present Beast were anywhere to be seen.

ANXM #16 was kinda so-so, though. Didn't Triage heal a lady friend of his who the cops thought he had killed? It just doesn't make sense that he'd be *that* freaked out over what he did in BOTA #1 when he'd done it before. Also, that Xavier dude is one shady-lookin' fucker.

Was surprised at how much I liked BOTA #1. It was nice to see the Uncanny team and the O5 team not care about whatever philosophical differences they may have and just kick the shit out of some Sentinels. Pretty funny that they manage to work together just fine when neither Wolverine or Present Beast were anywhere to be seen.

ANXM #16 was kinda so-so, though. Didn't Triage heal a lady friend of his who the cops thought he had killed? It just doesn't make sense that he'd be *that* freaked out over what he did in BOTA #1 when he'd done it before. Also, that Xavier is dude is one shady-lookin' fucker.

I actually enjoyed ANXM more. I liked how all the teams reacted to each other and the surprise at the end was quite nice.

Read Spider-man: Danger Zone. I thought the Alpha story went by a bit too quick though I dug the hell out of the actual story itself. I liked the general idea of Pete being the one responsible for creating Alpha and the general idea of Alpha being what Pete would have become w/o Uncle Ben. It was a good story. It created a new character with potential to grow, and gave insight into Pete himself and why Uncle Ben, particularly his death was so important for Peter becoming areal hero. I can see why Slott wanted to this story before he started Superior. It was something as far as I know not really done before that he likely won't be able to do after Superior Spider-man is done. The Hobgoblns story was pretty neat. It was fun and gave some payoff to several plots Slott had been running. I really loved what Slott did with Kingsley, having him essentially franchising villains. I'm a little surprised no one else has tried to pick up on what is pretty awesome plot element you can build on. Anyways I thought this was a good read overall. Slott does well continuing to build Peter up for the ultimate fall while also moving forward several characters and plots in interesting ways.

Dan Slott's solo run on The Amazing Spider-Man started with Big Time. I've read everything from the run through to Danger Zone and Danger Zone was my least favourite book. The Alpha story was decent. The Hobgoblins story was really good and the best thing by far in the collection. I just need to read Dying Wish and I will have finished reading everything from the run on The Amazing Spider-Man. Dying Wish starts in next week's issue of The Astonishing Spider-Man, a monthly UK magazine which reprints Spider-Man stories so I'm hoping to read it that way.