DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Yeah. I mean, it's easy enough to get on Loeb for being an absolutely terrible writer for years now. Or for the hilarious failure to deliver more than a 0 issue for Captain America: White (though I'll admit that one could very well be a Tim Sale thing). 

Sam Alexander being a proxy for Loeb's dead son isn't any weirder than Courtney Whitmore (Stargirl) being a proxy for Geoff Johns' dead sister. So let's not use that as a sticking point and instead go with every other reason Jeph Loeb is terrible in 2013.

• Like 1

Posted Image 

Marvel's Friday teasers kick off with a particularly oblique and ominous use of the phrase THE END, presented in bright, glowing purple letters on the now-familiar black background complete with a hidden number 1. The listed creators -- Dan Slott and Giuseppe Camuncoli -- are best known for their work together on "Superior Spider-Man," and the revelation of whatever project this is hyping will be revealed during the Superior Spidey panel at NYCC, so perhaps we're about to witness the death of….the Prowler? Or, perhaps this is the final teaser for the show's announcements?

Whatever the case, and whoever is about to find their story come to a conclusion, CBR News will be covering the event live, October 13 at 4PM Eastern

Credit: comicbookresources.com

End of SpOck? Green Goblin related?

The Amazing Spider-Man: Coming Home collects The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #30-35, original numbering #471-476 and was Joseph Michael Straczynski’s debut on the title. Peter Parker becomes a science teacher at his old high school, there’s a character called Ezekiel who has similar powers to Spider-Man and knows his secret identity. Ezekiel asks Peter whether it was the radiation that gave the spider powers or the spider already had the powers before dying from the radiation. This leads to Ezekiel bringing up totems either as the real deal, pretenders or feed on them, Morlun is out to do the latter to Spider-Man. It’s a real battle and the story ends on a shocking conclusion.

I first read this story when it was reprinted in a monthly UK magazine called The Astonishing Spider-Man in 2004. I thought it was a great story and one of the best Spider-Man stories I read. In 2012, I decided to buy the hardcopy printed in the Official Marvel Graphic Novels Collection. On a whim, I decided to reread it on Saturday. It’s still a great story. Furthermore after reading a lot more Spider-Man books since the first time I read this story I’d still have it as one of the best ever Spider-Man stories for the story, dialogue, the totemistic element, Spider-Man’s fight with Morlun is a war, the ending and the art.

Just finished the first trade of Superior Spider-Man.  I am sure I am in the minority here but I kind of like Doc Ock as Spidey.  He is a more efficient Spider-man that takes care of the things that need to be taken care.  I am sure this is addressed later and eventually things fall apart.  but that was an interesting ride.

Ready Spider-man: Dying Wish and Superior Spider-man: My Own Worst Enemy. Dying Wish is pretty good with Pete being on his last legs in Octavius's body and being forced to do things very much against his morals and nature to try and stop Doc's final plan.The final scenes between Peter and Octavius were quite great. Then Dan Slott goes and kills a bit of it with Ghost Peter in Superior Spider-man. In all honesty Ghost Peter is fairly distracting and feels unnecessary to the story outside of dancing on Parker's grave (ie pissing off some of the fanbase). Slott really pushes home that Octavius's more aggressive style to super heroism is superior to Peter's. It allows him to catch criminals more easily, prioritize the bigger crimes, and focus more on his personal life. Not sure how I feel about how Slott handles MJ. In some ways she seems a bit less smart for not picking up that Peter isn't Peter, but there hasn't necessarily been anything to make her completely question it like Carlie until arguably the end of the volume. Speaking of which i do like how Slott handled things there. I thought he did well having Ock lose his temper several times and clearly build to Ock doing what Peter never would do in ending a life. That and scene afterward really push why Doc Ock in control is a problem even when he is trying to be a proper hero. It hopefully is planting the seeds for things going terribly wrong in the future. Good reads all around despite my complaints on some issues.

Just finished the first trade of Superior Spider-Man.  I am sure I am in the minority here but I kind of like Doc Ock as Spidey.  He is a more efficient Spider-man that takes care of the things that need to be taken care.  I am sure this is addressed later and eventually things fall apart.  but that was an interesting ride.

I like the new Superior Spider-Man. I'm a fan of Dan Slott and am excited for the ride.

I'd also give Superior Foes of Spider-Man a try (issue #4 out today). It's one of those books that has a similar feel to your Young Avengers, Hawkeye, etc.

Superior Spider-Man has been really solid thus far.

I think it has been soldi story telling.

I'm a fan of Dan Slott having read his solo run on The Amazing Spider-Man in order. The only book I had missing was The Amazing Spider-Man: Dying Wish which I read last Sunday. Otto Octavius has managed to swap minds and bodies with Peter Parker, now Peter has to find a way to switch back. I thought it was a great story, one of Dan's best for me. I particularly liked the use of time with the switch and trying to one up another in various ways.

I've read The Superior Spider-Man (Vol. 1 ): My Own Worst Enemy and (Vol. 2): A Troubled Mind this week. The idea that somebody can control someone by entering them and what they do as is how others who know that person pre-switch react is what we get in The Superior Spider-Man and it's interesting to see because Peter Parker and Otto Octavius are different. I really enjoyed the first volume and liked the second. I preferred the first volume to the second. Want to read the second again.

I do think The Superior Spider-Man will determine a big part of the reaction to Dan Slott's solo Spider-Man run for and against as will the previous book to it, The Amazing Spider-Man: Dying Wish.

Definitely looking for Superior Foes of Spiderman mini when it comes out in trade if I can make it that far without buying the singles.  I also want to pick up more Superior Spiderman and Scarlet Spider.  No idea why I am on this Spidey kick all of a sudden

• Like 1