DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Finished up Brubaker's Captain America run with Captain America Vol. 4. It was a decent-solid enough read, but ultimately forgettable. I'm not surprised though because going on the afterword by Brubaker it pretty much confirms my theory that Brubaker never really had too much to say about Steve and that his run was more about bringing back Bucky and making Captain America a proper symbol that is needed as opposed to it only ever being Steve Rogers. Read Captain America: Castaway in Dimension Z right after it. This begins Rick Remender's run. So far its decent stuff and bit more interesting than what Brubaker was doing at the end of his run. Its interesting seeing Cap taken out of his element, trapped in another dimension while raising a child. That said its also feels a bit on the weird side which isn't too surprising considering its by Remender. John Romita Jr.'s covers are nice, but I'm not really feeling his art within the book itself outside of Zola's daughter who reminds me slightly of Big Barda. I'm interested enough to continue reading and seeing where it goes, but I can't see Remender's run ever making a sizable splash considering what came before it from Brubaker.

Finished up Hickman's run on F4 and FF with Fantastic Four Vol. 6 and FF #23. Most of F4 is Hickman tying up loose ends while building some of his future stories for other titles. Still its a solid read with some good stuff like Reed looking into the future several times to see a bit of his legacy and how Ben himself is. I also like how Hickman humbled Doom by showing badly god level Doom would turn out. I loved the last issue of FF. Its was good seeing future Franklin deliver his finals lessons to young Franklin. Overall this was good end to an amazing run. I really feel sorry of Fracton having to try and do a run of both F4 and FF after this.

Ready Spider-man: Dying Wish and Superior Spider-man: My Own Worst Enemy. Dying Wish is pretty good with Pete being on his last legs in Octavius's body and being forced to do things very much against his morals and nature to try and stop Doc's final plan.The final scenes between Peter and Octavius were quite great. Then Dan Slott goes and kills a bit of it with Ghost Peter in Superior Spider-man. In all honesty Ghost Peter is fairly distracting and feels unnecessary to the story outside of dancing on Parker's grave (ie pissing off some of the fanbase). Slott really pushes home that Octavius's more aggressive style to super heroism is superior to Peter's. It allows him to catch criminals more easily, prioritize the bigger crimes, and focus more on his personal life. Not sure how I feel about how Slott handles MJ. In some ways she seems a bit less smart for not picking up that Peter isn't Peter, but there hasn't necessarily been anything to make her completely question it like Carlie until arguably the end of the volume. Speaking of which i do like how Slott handled things there. I thought he did well having Ock lose his temper several times and clearly build to Ock doing what Peter never would do in ending a life. That and scene afterward really push why Doc Ock in control is a problem even when he is trying to be a proper hero. It hopefully is planting the seeds for things going terribly wrong in the future. Good reads all around despite my complaints on some issues.

I wish the Invaders book was set during WWII.  Robinson generally seems more motivated when he writes golden age characters.

If they're doing a present day book, I'd just as soon see the New Invaders lineup from a few years ago revived (though the title was a massive flop, so I expect that's why Marvel wants an Invaders title with the bigger names).

Grabbed Infinity Hunt #1, which had been entirely off my radar. Decent intro, looking forward to seeing the new chars fleshed out. The fact that Atlas is running a school out of Mumbai has interesting possibilities. That said, even with the "truancy" from the Braddock and Avengers schools, they should've bn able to field full three man teams.

Grabbed Infinity Hunt #1, which had been entirely off my radar. Decent intro, looking forward to seeing the new chars fleshed out. The fact that Atlas is running a school out of Mumbai has interesting possibilities. That said, even with the "truancy" from the Braddock and Avengers schools, they should've bn able to field full three man teams.

It's like you didn't read the story.  They said the teams will be selected in two weeks, so the students being show are merely candidates being show off as exemplars of their schools, although the tendency to be economical about characters suggests that new characters would end up on such teams unless they have another narrative purpose, such as being killed off or turning out to be evil.

Scarlet Spider joins Venom and Winter Soldier as a cancelled title:

Marvel Comics has provided CBR with covers and solicit information for product shipping December 2013. Discuss these solicitations here on CBR's Marvel Comics forum and share with fellow fans what titles spark your interest.

SCARLET SPIDER #25CHRIS YOST (W)DAVID BALDEON (A)Cover by Ryan StegmanLAST DEVASTATING ISSUE!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=47860

Read Ultimate Comics: Spider-man Vol. 4. Thought this was pretty good. I liked the overall story with Venom and how Miles inexperience and general approach to superheroing lead to him paying a massive price with the death of his mother. The final scene with Miles waking to a typical morning asking for mom only to truly realize she was gone was quite good. Good read overall.

Read X-men: Fall of Mutants Vol. 2 which focuses on the X-factor side of things. Really dug this one. The gradual breakdown of the group was good along with the Cameron Hodge heel turn/reveal. The actual Fall of the Mutant arc in the story is pretty great with X-factor going into full scale war with the Apocalypse's Horsemen. I loved everything going on with Beast's devolution, Warren's change to Archangel, Caliban's joining up with Apocalypse, and more. This was a pretty great Apocalypse story too with Simonson really showing him to be quite intelligent and dangerous with how he manipulates people along with the general idea that short of just giving up and doing nothing all roads lead to strengthen his cause. Been wanting to read a great Apocalypse story so this left me quite pleased. Also dug how Simonson brought Cyclops back together with Jean after some good trials and tribulations. The tie in issues were mostly worthless, but not bad. Overall I enjoyed this quite a bit. I actually liked it a lot more than the X-men side of things.

I appreciated how Apocalypse rarely directly confronted people. That if he has decided to fight you, you're probably fucked. He is an interesting character in that Bob Layton created him right before leaving the book. So The Simonsons really developed the character. I don't feel anyone really used Apocalypse to his full potential after they stopped writing him. After that he worked better as a concept. Something for Cable to strive against, than as a bad guy. 

I did really like the storyline Alan Davis did near the end with Apocalypse and the Twelve. I think Davis tun was pretty underrated in general.

Yesssssss. They finally did a collection series of the Shattering/Twelve/Ages of Apocalypse stuff and it totally rules. I wish they'd collect some of the leadup too as the stuff between Zero Tolerance and the Twelve is both really good and does a lot to build that. A lot of late 90s X-Men is way better than it gets credit for being in general, honestly. Though considering Spider-man has the same thing, maybe it's just a late 90s Marvel thing.

But yeah, what makes Apocalypse so damn clever is that he's the rare mastermind who actually has a REASON not to throw down directly often. Too often it's just like "If this guy is THAT MUCH MORE POWERFUL then why bother with lackeys?" but Apocalypse believes in survival of the fittest and in testing people to prove them worthy...if he believes he's more or less the apex predator, then testing them against himself would always find them wanting. Creating levelled tests provides him something of a bar by which he can ensure the survivors are worthy without killing them himself (something he'd see as certain). He's not without pragmatism though, as he was totally willing to team up to murder someone like Stryfe or Onslaught who were powerful enough to kill everyone and break the system. Dude is all about making things work.Remender's done a pretty great turn with the Apocalypse mythos as well.